Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Put my 2.0L from 914 in my Beetle
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
turtleturtle
Running video

Kind of have just 1 problem. I can't get it into gear with the car running. I think I need to tighten up my clutch cable, but it's being a bitch. What do I do if that does not work?
Mark Henry
It would be a little nicer with an upright Joe Cali or DTM conversion.

If you can't get it in gear, with proper adjustments, I'd say you have something wrong with the flywheel/clutch mod and you'll have to drop it and do it right.

Oh and a little tip on the adjuster wingnut...when you have the engine out make sure it's clean and easy threading 100%

do a search here:
http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewforum.ph...29b90fe7f0d3d55
Jake Raby
Im am with Mark..

Seems that the flywheel/PP/clutch isn't compatible with the beetle trans.

What flywheel did you use? (hopefully not the 914 flywheel) whats trans is in the car? did you ream the flywheel for a pilot shaft bearing?

This conversion can be as slick as glass with the right conversion pieces, and just so happens all but two of them are OE VW parts.

lets hope that the oil pressure light that was on in the video wasn't a reality- if so you have serious issues... Also, get rid of that single carb and convert the engine to upright, you'll lose weight, enhance cooling and appearance all at the same time.

This conversion is pretty much all I do, if you hit a brick wall, just call me.
IPB Image
turtleturtle
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Dec 27 2008, 12:04 PM) *

It would be a little nicer with an upright Joe Cali or DTM conversion.

If you can't get it in gear, with proper adjustments, I'd say you have something wrong with the flywheel/clutch mod and you'll have to drop it and do it right.

Oh and a little tip on the adjuster wingnut...when you have the engine out make sure it's clean and easy threading 100%

do a search here:
http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewforum.ph...29b90fe7f0d3d55

Engine is already in the Beetle though. Don't want to struggle taking it out again.
turtleturtle
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Dec 27 2008, 12:10 PM) *

Im am with Mark..

Seems that the flywheel/PP/clutch isn't compatible with the beetle trans.

What flywheel did you use? (hopefully not the 914 flywheel) whats trans is in the car? did you ream the flywheel for a pilot shaft bearing?

This conversion can be as slick as glass with the right conversion pieces, and just so happens all but two of them are OE VW parts.

lets hope that the oil pressure light that was on in the video wasn't a reality- if so you have serious issues... Also, get rid of that single carb and convert the engine to upright, you'll lose weight, enhance cooling and appearance all at the same time.

This conversion is pretty much all I do, if you hit a brick wall, just call me.

Sadly, I did use the 914 flywheel. I just need to know what I need to do to make the 914 flywheel/clutch to work with the Beetle Tranny.

Don't worry about the oil light, I have the correct oil pressure, trust me. The light just stays on. I don't care for apperance.
Mark Henry
Sadly, I did use the 914 flywheel. I just need to know what I need to do to make the 914 flywheel/clutch to work with the Beetle Tranny.

Well there's the problem....no way around it, it's got to come out bud.

You need to get a flywheel from a bay window bus and it still needs to opened up for a pilot bearing. It will also need the correct release bearing and pressure plate.

Go to the link I gave you and also the link at the bottom of Jake Raby's post. Do your homework so you get it right.

You can also buy a new conversion flywheel from Jake or www.cip1.com
Jake Raby
Figured that.. As Mark stated, the 914 flywheel and clutch set up are ABSOLUTELY incompatible with any beetle trans..

IUf you would have just done some homework you would have found this BEFORE the engine was installed. The info is abundant.

What trans is in the car?? Remove the engine and post pics of your trans bellhouse and I will tell you EVERY part you need to ensure the interchange is correct.
Dr Evil
Contact type11969 (Chris), he has a functioning TIV in his bug smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.