Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: oil cooler 13mm nuts are making me nuts!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Jerry75914
Hi guys!

I'd appreciate some help...I'm replacing the oil cooler seals, but can't seem to find the last 13mm nut. I have the three 10mm nuts off of the long studs, and one 13mm off of the bracket that supports the passenger side of the cooler, it is up top on the front side of the car.

Where is the second 13mm nut? I see a "support bar" in the AA parts diagram, but where is it? The cooler is sliding about 3/4", but that's not enough, and I don't want to force it further if there is still a nut tryong to hold on...help! I have a '75, with super-well-located heat exchangers right in the way...

thanks!
Jerry
Heeltoe914
If you have the three 10mm off and the holding bracket 13mm than it should come off unless someone used sealent. Try rocking it off or use a mirror. Good Luck.
Jerry75914
so there is no second 13mm nut? the classic thread cites two, as does the PP tech article. headbang.gif
Heeltoe914
if you remove the upper 13mm on the bracket that is on the other end of the cooler it should come out? Or you can get to the bolt holding the bracket itself on (harder) an let that come off with the cooler. Let me run outside to make sure I am sending you the right info???????. After years I seem to do this without thinking about it.

OK as you have done already take the three 10mm off and on most type 4 motor you should see a bracket that has a screw holding the two parts of the bracket together. remove it and the cooler SHOULD come out.
ericread
Did you drop your engine or leave it in before working on this. When I replaced the seals, I did it with the engine in. As part of that work, I was unable to actually remove the oil cooler. It will move out far enough to replace the seals, but in my case, it did not come all the way off.

Click to view attachment

As you can se from the diagram above, there are three bolts that attach the oil cooler to the engine. Hoewever, unless you also loosen the brackets (number 8 & 11) the oil cooler will not slide over.

Eric Read
Jerry75914
Hi Eric,

Sorry, should have mentioned that...the engine is in. I have the nut off of bracket 4, but I can't find bracket 5. Is it over on the same side as the three studs?

It's sliding about 3/4" now, but I would like for it to slide all the way to the wall if possible.

Thanks!
dbu356
Like this
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.