Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: A few issues...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pdizzle
New to the 914 world. I've looked for a few hours for what i need help with but have found nothing. So here is what I need help with..... my heater for starters. I get lots of cold air but no warm. Both fans in the cab and in the engine compartment work just fine. Ive checked all the plumbing seems to all be there and connected at a quick glance. Anything thats common I should look for?

Also can a person switch the 150 mph speedo to the 120 speedo with no worries? Just plug and play with an accurate reading? My 120 has a glass cover opposed to the plastic cover. And am hoping the odometer works on the 120 too.

And last but not least my tach. Doesn't even move when I turn the key to on. I got 12 volts at the positive and negative wires. Should I just run a new wire from the coil to the tach. I'm sure I'll do it tommorow anyways. But just in case. Sorry so long. Thank you

74 914 in need of tlc but runs and drives well, trans rebuilt, new clutch, new battery, new starter, new brakes..... to come, body, engine, tires.

Again sorry so long would appreciate any advice. Thanks -Patrick Prince-
marks914
While I donot know much about the heater, on the gauges the swap for the speedo is no problem. If its the bad lens you are worried about, just pop off the trim ring and install a new one. The 120 MPH speedos are usually from earlier cars, so they have the silver button, whereas the 74s do not. If your odometer is not working, that is an easy fix too.
If you run a new wire and the tach still does not work, time for a new or used one.
Mark

Not to push our products, but we can get your gauges fixed up for under $100.00 (used tach and rebuild the speedo with new glass.
rick 918-S
welcome.png

Check to see your flapper doors are opening. If the flaps don't open no heat will come out.

I've used Mark for a couple tach conversions. His stuff is tops and affordable.
Pdizzle
The flapper doors are just behind the dash underneath the front hood right? Are there any other secret locations? The adjuster on the dash seems to move freely and i can see things move when I move the lever. Thanks...
rick 918-S
QUOTE(Pdizzle @ Dec 27 2008, 10:25 PM) *

The flapper doors are just behind the dash underneath the front hood right? Are there any other secret locations? The adjuster on the dash seems to move freely and i can see things move when I move the lever. Thanks...

There are a set in the engine compartment connected to the Heat exchangers. These are the first ones in line. Sometimes the cable snaps off at the floor control. You have a floor control right?
PeeGreen 914
The flappers are located under the engine. They are what the lever near your shifter are connected to. The lever has wires that run from it to the flaps. The flaps will be connected to your exchangers.

eh. Seems Rick beat me to it.
Pdizzle
Yes I do have a lever on my floor. It's red with on and off. Ya ok this makes sense. Thanks. I'll take a look first thing tomorrow see whats going on. I'll let ya know if my cold struggle comes to an end. smile.gif Appreciate it!
SirAndy
QUOTE(Phoenix 914-6GT @ Dec 27 2008, 10:50 PM) *

The flappers are located under the engine. They are what the lever near your shifter are connected to. The lever has wires that run from it to the flaps. The flaps will be connected to your exchangers.

agree.gif

smash.gif Andy

PS: welcome.png
markb
If you're new to 914's, you'll need to know that the top 2 levers are for the fresh air blower, and the bottom (red) lever directs the heat. Leave the top 2 levers to the left, push the red lever to the middle, pull up the red handle by the shifter all the way up, and see if it gets you heat.
Pdizzle
Just wanted to thank ya'll for the info to get my heater working. It was the flapper doors. So I just got em to where they are open all the time now for the time being. It does get a lil smokey in the cab when it sits for a minute tho. That can't be good. But atleast it's warm inside and the windows are clear.
PeeGreen 914
Get a CO detector asap and make sure you're safe in there.
PanelBilly
QUOTE(Pdizzle @ Dec 31 2008, 01:49 PM) *

Just wanted to thank ya'll for the info to get my heater working. It was the flapper doors. So I just got em to where they are open all the time now for the time being. It does get a lil smokey in the cab when it sits for a minute tho. That can't be good. But atleast it's warm inside and the windows are clear.

Pay attention to Jon's advice. You've got a leak and your breathing fumes that will kill you. I have a friend who lost two brothers to fumes leakinging into the cabin. It will put you to sleep and you'll run off the road. Not an issue to think about, but a problem that needs to ne addressed mow. Better you be cold than dead
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.