Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Kit car V.S. engine conversion
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Kylereidzilla
I have just joined 914 world today and have a question:

Being a teenager, it is almost time to purchase my first car.
Being a BIG Porsche fan, I was wondering which would be more worth while:

1:
Buy a full kit car to build up from scratch.

2: Buy a frame and chassis of a 914, then put the engine and transmission of a Civc or some other engine.

Is the second option even possible? I have seen a 914 for sale without an engine for like $1100 in Kamloops B.C. a few years back.

What should I do??? driving.gif
914junkie
I'm really glad you are interested in 914's but you should do some research before you run out and buy one. Proper engine conversions are NOT CHEAP! The only non VW/Porsche engine swaps worth doing are Subaru or SBC V8 conversions. And the kits alone to do these will run you upwards of $5K. Plus doner motor and all the other brake, suspension, body mods you will need to make for the extra power. If you have a shop at yer disposal and are very handy you can do most of the work yourself but I'd get an idea of what kind of car you want to build, set a budget and start doing some pricing. Unless theres some new kit I've never heard of I doubt you can put any Honda motor in a 914. I mean Honda makes great motors and anything is possible but there are better options. My advice? Find a good,complete, solid rust free (well, as rust free as possible anyways) 914 and go from there. Ive seen many really decent drivable cars for $3-$5000. Or even if ya find a good one with no drivetrain, pick up a VW bus 2.0 throw on some big 2bbl carbs and a used trans and have some fun! I don't know what your budget is but what you want to do is not an inexpensive project. Any other KIT car you build will surely be expensive as well. Hope you find what yer look'n for. Start read'n and happy hunting! Paul. driving.gif
Mark Henry
The honda engine spins backwards making it the worst engine for any kit/conversion.

Hate to say it but the 914 may not be the best choice for a first car, although you can get an inexpensive project car they are not cheap.
Spend the coin and get a running car... whether it be 914, VW bug or honda.
rick 918-S
welcome.png Kit car would be best for a first timer. They are all sorted and like putting together an erector set or leggo building blocks. It's still hard work and you need skills, but your outcome is more likely a successful one. I would advise you to start there. Then enjoy the kit for a couple years. After that come back to the 914 and build a good reliable and safe car with what you learned.

Good luck with your decision! aktion035.gif
So.Cal.914
welcome.png The newer k24 honda engines rotate CW, as stated the older one's rotate CCW. k24 would not be cheap. But there are many engines that have been stuffed into these little cars. one member put a 928 V8 in his. Buick V6 is another common swap. But I must agree that for less headaches the SBC or subi is a good swap. The tub of the teener was made to accept the 6 cylinder out of a 911 and the stock trans has no problem with the smaller 6's. There are guys here with big 6's and V8's that have more money in their trans than alot of us have in our whole car. I think that the 914 would be a good car to learn on, built in the 70's it has a simple electrical system, great handling and exceptional brakes right from the factory. Tough part is all that shit is stuffed into a very little car so sometimes things are hard to get to. It's the funnest car I have ever owned. smile.gif
plymouth37
welcome.png
I think it depends on what kind of budget you have to work with.
I personaly would rather be seen in a 914 as apposed to a kit car (especially if it is a replica barf.gif )
If you have a ton of coin I would recommend buying a clean 914 and installing a Subie or V8 conversion kit from Renegade Hybrids.
If you are totally broke like I was when I was your age then I would recommend doing what I did:
Buy a good driveable 914, then piece by piece over the years add components like an upgraded suspension, conversion components, etc...
My car is a good example of how things can spiral out of control, I bought the car for $1,200 and by the time I converted it I had over $25,000 into it, just because the original car is cheap doesn't mean that the rest of your build will be, I honestly loved driving my 914 bone stock so I would suggest you start there.
Dana.
scotty b
welcome.png Buy a Miata
echocanyons
If you are considering an engine conversion give this a read:

Lapuwali's right up

It is a great, thorough write up from a fallen member.

welcome.png
SirAndy
QUOTE(914junkie @ Dec 28 2008, 03:52 AM) *

Find a good,complete, solid rust free (well, as rust free as possible anyways) 914 and go from there.

agree.gif

driving.gif Andy

PS: welcome.png
plymouth37
QUOTE(scotty b @ Dec 28 2008, 12:49 PM) *

welcome.png Buy a Miata

av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif
Kylereidzilla
[quote name='plymouth37' date='Dec 28 2008, 12:52 PM' post='1114785']
cool.gif--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(scotty b @ Dec 28 2008, 12:49 PM) *</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
welcome.png Buy a Miata
[/quote]
av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif
[/quote]
agree.gif

miatas are for sheeplove.gif
bs.gif bs.gif
av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif
So.Cal.914
av-943.gif

Click to view attachment
cobra94563
The lower end kit (or replica) cars, while you may enjoy building and driving, may not be worth much in the end.

The higher-end replicas that are worth something, (ala GT40 or cobra) end up way more expensive than what most people will put into a 914.

First car for reliability and service, I would say get something newer. But if you like porsches and like to tinker (or hack), 914 is a good base and relatively inexpensive.
jimkelly
i ditto that - strongly.

the typical in need of resto 914 - should be stripped down completely - sand blasted, rust repaired, then properly primed and painted - cost $5000.

then on to redone suspension and brakes - $2000.

then on to engine rebuild - $3000.

if you value your time - the cost of your time alone - could buy a nice older miata.

jim

--

QUOTE(scotty b @ Dec 28 2008, 12:49 PM) *

welcome.png Buy a Miata

J P Stein
Ah, yes........
When I was young & employed full time I went lookin' for a sports car to replace my 58 Impala. Found a very nice MG twin cam....under 2K IIRC. I went lookin' for insurance for same....under 2K IIRC. The Chebbie started lookin' good again.

yellow914
Run Away!....it's a cult...sure it starts off all OoooooAaaaahhhhhh and then next thing you know she's got her bra hanging from your shower rod and then there are tampons in your medicine cabinet mad.gif ...wait..what were we talking about?....Oh...yes..Run Away!...it's a cult ...a money sucking cult headed by Tom Cruise...yet I've never been happier!....Good luck to you young Buck!...and God Speed.
turboman808
QUOTE(plymouth37 @ Dec 28 2008, 11:41 AM) *

I personaly would rather be seen in a 914 as apposed to a kit car (especially if it is a replica barf.gif )

If you talking replicas built on a 914 then I agree 100%. They are horrible.

However I plan to get a thunder ranch 550a with the 911 motor in about 1.5 - 2 years.

Would like to get a Factory Five GT40 someday but that will be a long time unless this economy turns around.
rascobo
QUOTE(yellow914 @ Dec 31 2008, 10:24 AM) *

Run Away!....it's a cult...sure it starts off all OoooooAaaaahhhhhh and then next thing you know she's got her bra hanging from your shower rod and then there are tampons in your medicine cabinet mad.gif ...wait..what were we talking about?....Oh...yes..Run Away!...it's a cult ...a money sucking cult headed by Tom Cruise...yet I've never been happier!....Good luck to you young Buck!...and God Speed.

av-943.gif

[b] Yellow 914 , You were warned about talking to 'outsiders' and 'Newbies'. Now where's your First Born?[ happy11.gif
ericread
QUOTE(rascobo @ Dec 31 2008, 05:59 PM) *

QUOTE(yellow914 @ Dec 31 2008, 10:24 AM) *

av-943.gif

[b] Yellow 914 , You were warned about talking to 'outsiders' and 'Newbies'. Now where's your First Born?[ happy11.gif

I think it was last seen eating the miata in post #12...

shades.gif

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.