Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Side shift
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tag
I’m a newbie and I keep hearing about how a side shift transmission is better, is side shift just the linkage setup (replacement) or is it a different transmission altogether? What parts are required to setup a side shift? I just bought a Porsche 914 and I’m getting a list together of parts that I want to purchase in January. Thanks is advance!
type.gif
rick 918-S
welcome.png I guess that's the theory. On the other hand, if your transaxle is in good condition and shifting smoothly, then your good. The problem as I see it is the dog foot wears and becomes sloppy. Otherwise, new shift bushings and proper adjustment usually fix both tail shift and side shift problems on both axles. These are not Muncie rock crushers but they are both good reliable transaxles.
GeorgeRud
I'd also agree that if you replace the shift bushings and the transmission is in good shape, you'll be fine.

If you can get a good deal on a sideshift transmission and linkage, it is a nice upgrade, but I wouldn't spend a whole lot of money on the conversion. You have to replace everything from the shift knob on, so it's not a cheap conversion unless you find all the parts at a great deal.
So.Cal.914
agree.gif I have a tail shift in my 72 and it has been fine. I put a shortshift kit in about 10 years ago and it helped...And was cheap.
tag
QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Dec 28 2008, 06:35 AM) *

I'd also agree that if you replace the shift bushings and the transmission is in good shape, you'll be fine.

If you can get a good deal on a sideshift transmission and linkage, it is a nice upgrade, but I wouldn't spend a whole lot of money on the conversion. You have to replace everything from the shift knob on, so it's not a cheap conversion unless you find all the parts at a great deal.

Thanks for the info biggrin.gif
Eric_Shea
Nothing against a side shifter because, it is a better linkage but; my best shifting 914 was my 914-6 with all new bushings and a tail shifter that a little old lady drove for 50 some-odd thousand miles.

Tail shifters can be fine (here comes another but) but; you need to qualify that against 901 transmissions and vintage Porsche shifting in general. There was recently a thread herein regarding the benefit of Rennshifters on 901's and the overall "vague" nature of said beast in "any" configuration (911/914, nose/side/tail).

If you grew up on old VW's then it's acceptable and maybe even fine in it's querky little way. They can be made better... much better but it will involve money that some will spend in a heartbeat and others will never let go of.

George is probably spot on. Start with new bushings and see if you like it.
SirAndy
welcome.png

bye1.gif Andy
Dr Evil
welcome.png I am working on a little improvement that would be cheap and simple and refine the already well maintained box happy11.gif
scotty b
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Dec 28 2008, 12:28 PM) *

welcome.png I am working on a little improvement that would be cheap and simple and refine the already well maintained box happy11.gif

A well maintained box is the key to a mans happenis biggrin.gif
So.Cal.914
Now I know why we give them girls names...The box is right next to the trunk.
tag
QUOTE(So.Cal.914 @ Dec 28 2008, 02:02 PM) *

Now I know why we give them girls names...The box is right next to the trunk.

Thanks guys... man ya'll are funny. av-943.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.