Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SOT: Car donation
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jhadler
Hey all,

The wife and I are planning on acquiring a (wait for it...) minivan....

We need to thin the heard, and we have this old (1980) Volvo 240 that's been doing nothing for months now. Were thinking of donating it and taking the write-off this year. I was wondering if any of you have experience with this? Suggestions?

Thanks!

-Josh2
g911
Done it 2x. Volunteers of America took both my old vans. 2004 was the last time I did it. I think the IRS rules have changed a bit. Now I think they will only give you credit at the price the car actually sells for at auction, instead of blue book. Because both my vans had ~200,000 miles and were rusted out.
flippa
I donated several as well in the past to Volunteers of America.

The IRS rules changed in 2006; you only can write off the actual sale price of the vehicle. You may make out better selling it on your own.
Al Meredith
I did it couple of years ago when you could write off the KBB (kelly blue book) value. That was great, My wife backed her94 Dodge through the house next door. The insurance Co. totaled it and I bought it back for $250. Donated it for KBB $2700 in good condition ( the front 95% was like new) . Congress found out about this loop hole and changer the deduction to the amount it sold for . It worked for me though.
GeorgeRud
I also donated an old Volvo 245 to a local charity (before the rules on donations changed). Even with the new donation tax rules, it's a nice way to hopefully help some less fortunate people.

In the Chicago area, there is also a battered women's and children's shelter that was taking donated cars, fixing them to a reliable shape, and giving them so some of these people could get to work, etc.
carr914
I donated a 73 914 2.0 that had been in a major fire. Cancer Society had no problem with it (as they never saw it), the Tow Co./salvage yard was pissed.

T.C.
jhadler
I placed a call to donateacar.com, and they said that I would receive a receipt for a $500 donation (fixed) when the tow truck shows up. I seriously doubt that we'd get more than that if we tried to sell it. It's in strong running condition, but it has most assuredly seen better days, cosmetically speaking...

Hurm... I could try for weeks to sell it, and maybe get a little more. Or I can place a single phone call and a truck will just show up and haul it away and I get a $500 write off...

Whadya think?

-Josh2
LarryR
QUOTE(jhadler @ Dec 29 2008, 08:13 PM) *

I placed a call to donateacar.com, and they said that I would receive a receipt for a $500 donation (fixed) when the tow truck shows up. I seriously doubt that we'd get more than that if we tried to sell it. It's in strong running condition, but it has most assuredly seen better days, cosmetically speaking...

Hurm... I could try for weeks to sell it, and maybe get a little more. Or I can place a single phone call and a truck will just show up and haul it away and I get a $500 write off...

Whadya think?

-Josh2

I think it would bring 1k-1500 if it runs good and has presentable paint. I have thought about buying one of those for my daughters first car. They have an incredible reputation for safety. A guy I work with bought one that is kind of cosmetically challenged but presentable for 2K.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.