Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Car slowly dies
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Andyrew
Just adjusted the valves .005 all around.. Went for a drive.. low idle, then while driving idle crept down and now it wont hold idle. It'll hold at 1.5 for a little (aar closed, engine warm) then it will slowly die.

Any idea's?

ar15.gif headbang.gif fighting19.gif

Andrew
SirAndy
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Feb 16 2004, 07:50 PM)
Any idea's?

you did it wrong? i know, not much of a help here ... <_<
Andyrew
I checked and double checked and checked and bla bla bla.. It was running very strong....

Ya, not much help laugh.gif wink.gif

Andrew
Bleyseng
Maybe too tight, how is the vacuum on a gauge?? 15hg with steady needle?

Geoff
Andyrew
I dont honestly know vacume. I'll check that.. (If I can..) Im sure its not that great of vacume, I have idle problems and whatnot.. (the Idle lowered a bit.. like .2k when full warm after adjustment).

And you wonder why I hate this engine...

oh if only $$

Andrew
Jeffs9146
If it is a 2.0 Fi, I would check the head temp sensor!

My $.02

Jeff
need4speed
Valve adjustments can affect idle speed.
At least on my T1, I normally have to adjust my advance after a valve adjustment, especially if it was way-out.
nebreitling
how far out were your valves at before you adjusted?

did you [accidently?] mis-adjust the timing? if you are 100% sure your valve adjustment is kosher, then just try giving it a tune up.
bob174
Dumb suggestion, but why don't you adjust the valves to the factory recommended clearance and then see how it does?
Andyrew
Ok went for a drive today.. While it was still warming up it didnt have any problems of low idling. Also, I (not dad) think I picked up a bit of hp.. Pulls very nice now.
Dad went for a drive right after, he said its about the same. But he came home and the low idle came back.. Basically it doesnt want to idle.
Dad thinks its a tight valve.. So... After my BB game, I'll be checking the valves. (maybe)

Andrew
ChrisReale
QUOTE(bob174 @ Feb 17 2004, 01:50 PM)
Dumb suggestion, but why don't you adjust the valves to the factory recommended clearance and then see how it does?

Because those were the recommended values more than 30 years ago. Lots of knowledge/advancement has been gathered since then....
EPK
Will someone who really knows please explain why .005 clearance on the valve lash has been acepted as the correct adjustment.
Brad Roberts
I dont really know.. but I will tell you that we set some engines at ZERO lash. I set some AutoX engines and race engines at .003 some at .004

If you look closely at the cam cards..most say "recommended values"

What you dont want is tight clearances when you didnt set them that way.

Sometimes we set the valves .006/.006 Its gives us .002 more lift on the exhaust side.

When the engine REALLY heats up and expands you end up with more clearance.. so know this going in and compensate for it with tighter clearances. We know our Production engines will see 220 degree oil temps and over 400 deg head temps.

B
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.