Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Found a 914 in a junkyard/w pics
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
championgt1
The UPS driver that delivers to my work told me about a 914 in a junkyard nearby with a bunch of what he thought was good parts. I went down after work today and took a look at it. The guy that owns the yard says it is a 75. I wrote down the vin which is 473290600. That does not seem like the proper vin and definetly not in corrilation with a 75 year car. In the front trunk there is a tag from the Washington state patrol stating that the vin has been moved from its original location. confused24.gif Inside the door there is a green metal plate issued from the WSP that has the vin # stamped into it. WTF.gif

It does have the big rear bumper. At some point the front bumper was replaced with an earlier bumper. It also has a crappy red paint job over what appears to be an original silver car. The seats are interesting black and white plaid.

Some crappy cell phone pictures.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
davep
473290600 is still missing a digit, but appears to be a 1973 VIN (473xxxx).
It looks like a mix of 73 & 75, so probably stitched together body. Looks like some nice parts on it though. See if $100 will get it home to you.
championgt1
The guy that owns the yard supposedly wants $500 for the entire car with title. There are quite a few good parts, but as can be expected the rust is pretty bad!
Slick914
I'll split the cost with you if you send me the wheels. poke.gif
URY914
$150 tops.
Todd Enlund
QUOTE(davep @ Dec 30 2008, 06:40 PM) *

It looks like a mix of 73 & 75, so probably stitched together body.

agree.gif
That was my first thought as well.

Engine? It might just be worth $500 with an engine, tranny and Mahles, but I wouldn't let the guy know that.
rhodyguy
funny thing about wa cars. very often the targa bar pad is in great shape. go look jack. or i'll go.

k
championgt1
No motor or transmission.

Kevin, I will give you a call today.
johannes
I agree !!!! ... Nice wheels ...

wink.gif
Gint
I wouldn't touch that car for anything but parts. That vin crap will bite you in the ass sooner or later.
rhodyguy
dismantlers up here...i sold some parts to a guy that looked at a set of rusted up rear control arms with the rusty calipers...$270.
Solo914
QUOTE(championgt1 @ Dec 30 2008, 06:12 PM) *
The UPS driver that delivers to my work told me about a 914 in a junkyard nearby with a bunch of what he thought was good parts. I went down after work today and took a look at it. The guy that owns the yard says it is a 75. I wrote down the vin which is 473290600. That does not seem like the proper vin and definetly not in corrilation with a 75 year car. In the front trunk there is a tag from the Washington state patrol stating that the vin has been moved from its original location. confused24.gif Inside the door there is a green metal plate issued from the WSP that has the vin # stamped into it. WTF.gif

It does have the big rear bumper. At some point the front bumper was replaced with an earlier bumper. It also has a crappy red paint job over what appears to be an original silver car. The seats are interesting black and white plaid.

Some crappy cell phone pictures.

Is this place a pick-a-part?

Kyle
championgt1
Not a pick a part. Just a regular junk yard. I am going to call today and get some more info from the guy. It sounds like he wants to sell the car as a complete car. confused24.gif
davep
If you can get all the numbers you can from the car:
windshield VIN, front fender VIN, headlight tag VIN, decal VIN
body # and paint code from Karmann badge, body# from rear trunk floor, body # from tag in front trunk
Then we will have a better picture of it's origins.
championgt1
QUOTE(davep @ Dec 31 2008, 02:42 PM) *

If you can get all the numbers you can from the car:
windshield VIN, front fender VIN, headlight tag VIN, decal VIN
body # and paint code from Karmann badge, body# from rear trunk floor, body # from tag in front trunk
Then we will have a better picture of it's origins.

The windshield vin is missing confused24.gif . I can try to get the vin from the front fender, headlight tag and decal.

The Karmann badge has been painted over and is also very rusty. I tried to scrap it to get the numbers and was not successful.
davep
Karmann badge should be non-rusting aluminum. Paint thinner or similar might help. Look for the stamp in the right rear corner of the rear trunk, and also see if there is a small tag on the right headlight support where it touches the inner fender. Is the tag on the right headlight support or on the wall in front of the gas tank?
The windshield tag is not present on Euro cars, but not a good sign if it is missing on a NA car. The body number is on the underside of the dash written in grease pencil. Comparing all the VIN's and body #'s helps to verify the original body.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.