Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Slacker Radio/music suggestions?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
turboman808
Well my friend took the plunge and got a slack radio. Best freakin audio device ever!!!

Well woot.com has been selling them off for real cheap. $45 with shipping.

Trying to build the best outlaw country/southern rock station right now. So any suggestion on bands I may not be familiar with?

Got alot of the basics from hank williams to kid rock. Any more obscure artist or songs you guys can suggest?
DBCooper
Try Southern Culture on the Skids - Dirt Track Date (white trash rockabilly) & Mojo Box. Delbert McClinton, Never Been Rocked Enough, the best Texas roadhouse rock and R&B. Todd Snider - East Nashville Skyline and The Devil You Know. Webb Wilder - Acres of Suede.
ws91420
Kentucky Headhunters- Dumas Walker and the whole album that song is on They did a remake of the classic Walk Softly On This Heart Of Mine.
anderssj
A couple from the mid-1970s:

Jerry Jeff Walker ("Viva Terlingua" [album]), Red Steagall ("Lone Star Beer and Bob Wills Music" [album])

"Never Been Rocked Enough" is a great album intro to Delbert McClinton--here's another song "Lone Star Blues" (Album = "Room to Breathe")
swm914
Listen to some early "Outlaws" circa 1974-1976 before Henry Paul left the band. The best albums (as I best recall) are "The Outlaws", "Lady in Waiting" and "Hurry Sundown"

QUOTE(turboman808 @ Dec 30 2008, 11:15 PM) *

Well my friend took the plunge and got a slack radio. Best freakin audio device ever!!!

Well woot.com has been selling them off for real cheap. $45 with shipping.

Trying to build the best outlaw country/southern rock station right now. So any suggestion on bands I may not be familiar with?

Got alot of the basics from hank williams to kid rock. Any more obscure artist or songs you guys can suggest?

turboman808
Thanks. Still alot of stuff out there I haven't heard yet. smile.gif
ws91420
Carl Perkins one of the forerunners in rockabilly
Jimmy C Newman for country with a Cajun flare
scottb
bastard sons of johnny cash.....
Todd Enlund
Hayseed Dixie
ws91420
Rednex country meets techno dance
Swedish band one hit wonder Cotton Eye Joe
DBCooper
Don't imagine you'd need any help with Allman Brothers Lynard Skynard mainstream southern rock kinds of things. So are you interested in rockabilly? (Billy Burnette, Southern Culture on the Skids) Psychobilly? (Rev. Horton Heat) Cajun/Zydeco? (Beau Jacque) Tex-Mex? (Los Lonely Boys, Los Super Seven) Swamp pop? (Marcia Ball) Texas songwriter (Guy Clark, Billy Joe Shaver, Robert Earl Keene, Lucinda Williams, Ray Wylie Hubbard).

Then there's alt-country (Wayne Hancock), roadhouse rock (Delbert McClinton, mentioned earlier), country punk, rural R&B (Amazing Rhythm Aces with Stacked Deck), etc. etc? Not much appreciated compared to the other records, but I really like Stevie Ray and Jimmie Vaughn on Family Style. It's not just blues, and those boys can play!

There's a pretty broad spectrum in "the south". Heck there's a lot of ground to cover just in Louisiana. So where do you want to go?
warrenoliver
John Prine

914pwer
Mustasch is a Swedish rockband that are great aktion035.gif
http://www.mustasch.net/
VaccaRabite
What is a "slack radio"?

Zach
DBCooper
QUOTE(914pwer @ Dec 31 2008, 03:42 PM) *

Mustasch is a Swedish rockband that are great aktion035.gif
http://www.mustasch.net/

Yean, but not real "southern", if you know what I mean. If you want to check out some "nordic New Orleans" listen to a little Anders Osborne. Try "Greasy Money", or "Coast to Coast Blues" from Living Room.

QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Dec 31 2008, 04:01 PM) *

What is a "slack radio"?

Zach

Slack Radio is a wifi audio receiver that looks like an MP3 player. You can tune it to receive internet radio when you're in your wifi network, or play MP3 tunes off your server. So if you have all your CD's on your hard drive you can listen to them in your garage, for example, or in your bedroom, without a Squeezebox or Roku media device, amplifier, speakers, all that. Cool bit of kit.
Zaney
I sometimes listen to "Boot Liquor" Alternative Country on Soma FM through the I-tunes radio function.
All of the artists listed above can be found there and some other great ones too.
Awesome car working music!
Happy 2009! beer.gif
DBCooper
QUOTE(Zaney @ Jan 1 2009, 10:12 AM) *

I sometimes listen to "Boot Liquor" Alternative Country on Soma FM through the I-tunes radio function.
All of the artists listed above can be found there and some other great ones too.
Awesome car working music!
Happy 2009! beer.gif

Wow, tends to the twangier side, but excellent! So far this morning Dave Alvin, John Prine, the Bottle Rockets, Todd Snider, Chris Smither, Drive by Truckers, the Gourds, Asleep at the Wheel, and now Cornell Hurd!!! It's got that old KFAT vibe mixed with some Austin Armadillo, and all in one place. Thanks.
turboman808
Alright I added alot of these. They haven't all come up on my player yet. I think I have like 60-70 artist on the station now. smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.