Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Front bumper top bad - core materials?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
drumsticks2112
Hello All!

I am relatviely new to the teener scene, but am hoping to change rapidly. I am in the process of helping my dad restore a '74 2.0, and I have some questions about the front bumper pad. From what I can gather, inside the rubber housing is a metal core that runs the lengthe of the pad. There are a number of metal, threaded studs that stick out from the metal core and attach the pad assembly to the top of the center portion of the front bumper. PLEASE, correct me if my understanding is wrong.

Has anyone tried to reconstruct the metal core inside the rubber outer?

Is there any way to remove dimples in the rubber pad?

Thanks to any and all responses! beerchug.gif
-Todd
Richard Casto
welcome.png

Welcome Todd!

I personally haven't heard of anyone trying to rebuild the bumper pads, but maybe someone does or has and I just haven't heard about it. I am guessing that if you are looking to replace the interior metal reinforcement and mounting studs, that yours is rusted. Same deal with the dimples.

I think the options are...

1. Live with what you have.
2. Find a decent used part from a donor (one just sold for $200 here recently)
3. New ($$$)
4. Fiberglass bumper (that includes bumper pad in the design)
5. Fiberglass bumper pad (cheaper than new rubber pads)

I decided personally to go with #5. I have the front and rear FG pads in hand, but have not installed them yet. I sourced mine here...

http://www.carlrudolph.com/

Richard
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.