Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Has anyone tried using a Wilwood parking brake?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Steve
Has anyone tried using a Wilwood parking brake on a 914?
http://www.jegs.com/p/Wilwood/757779/10002/-1

I have Boxster rear brakes on my car now but it would be nice to have an emergency brake without going back to stock or over priced 914-6 rear calipers.
roadster fan
Here is a thread on the wilwood spot caliper. If I remember correctly there have been others also on the different p-brake solutions.

Hope this helps,

Jim

wilwood caliper thread
Steve
Thanks!!!
burton73
I have bought the Wilwood disk and the 911 parking brakes. After looking at the Wlwood I find that the one side of the disk material does not float at all. This may have been a reason that there was a sticking problem on one of our member’s cars. Marty had no problem with his. I need to run this by E and see what he thinks. After paying $150 for the rears from easy for the early 911, I find that one side of the parking lining is almost warn out. At $45. each shoe that is $90. more on the $150. so people should be careful to find out that there 911 set-ups have good linings.

The new disks may still be the deal. Look over the Wilwood caliper thread. You get good ideas how to do the rear set up from the 911 if you go that way. If so ask if the shoes are good

Bob
Click to view attachment
Steve
Has anyone successfully installed the 911 emergency brake conversion? I see lots of pictures and people talking about it but no success stories or pictures of completed projects.

burton73
Yes, go to this link and there are a lot of different ways to do it.

Bob

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...l=parking+brake
Steve
Thanks Bob!! Does anyone know of a shop in So Cal. that can weld this up? I do not have access to a welder and I haven't welded anything since high school 30 years ago.
Eric_Shea
Bob,

I wouldn't be too concerned about the shoe depth etc. If the star is adjusted properly they basicaly grab the rotor and that's that.

If you do want them re-shoed try this:

http://www.superpages.com/bp/Los-Angeles-C...L0018098685.htm
kconway
QUOTE(Steve @ Jan 3 2009, 10:20 AM) *

Thanks Bob!! Does anyone know of a shop in So Cal. that can weld this up? I do not have access to a welder and I haven't welded anything since high school 30 years ago.

Steve,
You might want to send a PM to a member here named Zeke (Milt Becker). He has been doing quite a bit of welding for me, going to be putting my GT flares on soon and his prices can't be beat ($45/hr). He is mobile and can come to you if need be, otherwise he works out of his garage in Long Beach. He's a Porsche guy, presently Carerra but he has owned a beast of a 914 so he knows the car.

Just left my place after tacking up some pieces to make a tow bar so I don't have to pay for flatbed towing to his place anymore! smilie_pokal.gif
Click to view attachment

Kevin
Steve
Thanks Kevin!!!
Wes V
Steve;

If you are talking about the "shoe stop", I'm willing to do the fabrication and welding for you -- if you can pull the arms off and bring them to my house.

I live in the west end of the San Fernando Valley (area code 91306)

Wes Vann
Eric_Shea
Generous offer and, Wes has one of the best stops I've seen in his conversion.
burton73
Wes,

Is it possible that you could do my rear PB for my Boxster brake car as well? We could order the cables at the same time. Reading you posting you where using VW-Bus parts. More that happy to pay you. I have so much going on with all my cars. I am at the 405 and 10 Fwy. My car is a V8. I an not sure if there any clearance problems at the front fire wall with one line.

Thank you,

Bob
Wes V
Bob and Steve;

Fabricating and welding the "shoe stop" bracket is no big thing and I'm willing to do it for just about anybody that wants to come by.

However, you guys need to think about how you want to actually hook up the cable and there are a bunch of ways with advantages and dis-advantages to all of them.

Here is the link to the prior post;
sting about how I did my e-brake cable

I like what I did, however I've been told that there could be clearance isues with the cable housing and the exhaust manifold. I'm doing an engine swap, and in my case I don't see there being a problem. It may however be a problem with a factory 4 or 6 engine.

In my installation, I also had to weld on a "guide" plate for the stainless steel tube section. Easy to fab and weld in.

Making up the stainless steel tube pieces isn't something I'm geared up to do for others. (I have to borrow a friends lath and I don't want to wear out my welcome)

If I had to do it all over, I think I'd try to follow the path Craig Downs was doing, using a BMW spreader (last page of that link'd page). I don't know if he ever finished it, but it sure looked like the cleanest way to go and provided more clearance from the exhaust.

I'll PM both of you my phone number and we can talk.

Wes Vann
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.