Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: scam or not??
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tod914
This is in regards to my car i posted for sale. Please read and give me your opinion on this. Seems like a peculiar way to do bussiness.

Thanks for the mail, I will be very happy to see the pics of
the car and alsoi can't afford to lose the car to someone else so i
will suggest you delete the advert from the site where it was placed.
My client will send you the cashier's check is drawn on american bank
it is a certified cashier's check,the check cannot be deposited you
must take it to the nearest cashing store for instant cashing. I will need
you to fax me a bill of sale (duly signed) the car willbe picked up by
shipping agent after payment has been made. the excess fundson the
check must be wired to my shipping agent after you cash the certified
cashier's check, i will also suggest you look for a western unionagent where
to send the excess funds when you have cashed it.
I will instruct my client owing me the funds to send the check
soon hopefully it will get to you very soon, hope we will have a smooth
transaction.also i will like to know the actual price you are selling
off car?so i will need your address to send it my client whom will be
sending the check to you.

Opinions??? Wondering how i can cover my bases if I decide to pursuit this further.
Mueller
ever here the phrase?:

"A Fool And His Money Are Easily Parted"

smile.gif

no business, just pure scam....and some people fall for it from what I've read confused24.gif
sj914
Sounds like the Nigerians are working overtime on this one. The cashing store like anyother cashing place will have your I.D. on file and if that check ever gets bounced or found to be counterfeit, the cashiing store will just go after you. I find it kinda fishy. To me, if I was selling something. i would want the buyer to deal with me on my terms and not his. That way it protects my interests.
Rgreen914
Smells like a SCAM to me, and I do mean SMELLS! Oh...and his grammar is terrible, which also increases doubt!

Confucius say, "He who expects nothing...is seldom disappointed!"
tod914
The first letter I recieved from him seemed sincere. This second reply, which I posted, was like uhhh something is rotten in denmark(or Nigeria in this case). Thanks for your advice.
sj914
Funny how the letters, seem to have a polite but bossy tone to it.
BarberDave
smilie_pokal.gif
Tod 914:
Run don't walk to the nearest trash receptacle
and deposit and flush. Scam! It's been around for years in various forms or another. Dave smilie_flagge6.gif
mike_the_man
agree.gif with everybody. Scam!
GWN7
SCAM

But tell him to send the cheque. Then frame it and hang it on your wall. That way you will have gotten something out of them. laugh.gif
seanery
I agree, don't even consider this, it's 100% BS.
DuckRyder
SCAM.

Politely tell him that the FBI purchased the car to use in a fraud investigation.
Chris H.
QUOTE(DuckRyder @ Feb 17 2004, 08:02 AM)
SCAM.

Politely tell him that the FBI purchased the car to use in a fraud investigation.

That's a hell of an idea. All you have to do is allude to the fact that you are sharing his info with the authorities and he will run away.

I hate this kind of stuff.
seanery
Have him send you the check and an address to send the excess funds to.
Then go down to your local FBI. They like this stuff. My brother's computer got hacked several times (at our office) we called the FBI and my brother became part of their investigation.
boxstr
How can you lose?? Go for it, It's a real winner. You won't be sorry. Wish I had found a deal like this.Run don't walk, you are one lucky dog. Deal of the century. I wish all transctions went a smooth as this is going to go.
CCLINSCAMVILLE
PatW
Cash, money, American, in you hands. Then hand over the keys. Letter of Credit in your bank from the buyer might work. Best to go cash only.
fiid
Is it any help to get the check and then send it on to the FBI for forensic analysis?
914ghost
How 'bout this one,
I got it this morning...

Hello,
John Kelvin by name.I am interested in purchasing your advertised
17" Cup wheels.The payment will be made out to you by a certified cashier check.I will like to know the condition as well as the price.And please include the name and the address you want on the check with your phone number.I will await your reply soonest.
Thanks,
Kelvin.

I told him to send me his shipping info and I would quote shipping and verify his I.D.
sj914
QUOTE(914ghost @ Feb 17 2004, 10:49 AM)

Hello,
John Kelvin by name.I am interested in purchasing your advertised
17" Cup wheels.The payment will be made out to you by a certified cashier check.I will like to know the condition as well as the price.And please include the name and the address you want on the check with your phone number.I will await your reply soonest.
Thanks,
Kelvin.

I told him to send me his shipping info and I would quote shipping and verify his I.D.

What is this ghettoized Shakespeare. wacko.gif
Toast
ITS A NIGERIAN SCAM!!
Sorry for this long post, but it is very important and you should read!
I was recently a victim! I have a Karman Ghia up for sale. I got an email from his similar to yours. He wanted to send me a chashiers check, then pay the shipper (who he already had 'arranged') and wire the remaining money back. The car was sold for $3000. He sent me a cashiers check for $8000!! blink.gif I deposited the check and sent him an email stating I will give contact him with with pick up information as soon as the check clears. A few days later I called the bank on the check and they said the amount on the check and the check # were not valid. I emailed the guy and only told him that I had called the bank on the check and they were looking into the funds availabitly.
The guy proptly dissapeared.

When the check came back as counterfit, my bank withdrew the money and charged me a $ 5.00 fee.
Two days later when I tried making an ATM deposit, the atm said my card was inactive and I would need to call such and such. I went into the branch to find out what had happened and it turns out my bank had damn near closed my account because of this check. (Cash withdraw and deposit only!) headbang.gif

For the next month, I had to go through Soooooooo much hassle to get my bank to release the restraints they put on my account. First, I had to get a proof of the emails. Then they wanted a police report. Then they wanted an FBI report. Then the wanted a Secret Service report. Then the sent me a letter saying they were going to close my accounts anyway. THEN I had to meet with the branch president with ALL of this paperwork at once, which they had to fax to this department and do this and that.

After 5 hours of work time lost, 23 phone calls, 6 branch visits, numerous 'reports', I Finally got my bank accounts back up to 'Active" status and a new ATM card issued. Of course I have to call all of my Auto Withdraw companies and change my card # now. wacko.gif

Now, if that doesnt scare you away, i dont know what will.
You could always tell the guy to send you the check, that you will sit on the check for 60 days in case a cash offer comes along, and then you will deposit his check. Im sure he will disapper promptly.

Her is a website I used (and used in my presentation the the bank president) for detailed infor on the Nigerian Scams (and other scams):
http://www.carbuyingtips.com/fraud.htm

I STILL have the car for sale in case anyone is interested:
http://www.rccauto.com/ghia/ghia.htm
asking $3000 obo.
Toast
If you want to see the type of emails this guy sent me, let me know.
Hi_Fi_Guy
Yes, this cashier's check for OVER the amount of sale scam has been going on for years, and years. Avoid this person like the plague.
jarbuthnot
QUOTE(Hi_Fi_Guy @ Feb 17 2004, 04:20 PM)
Yes, this cashier's check for OVER the amount of sale scam has been going on for years, and years. Avoid this person like the plague.

agree.gif
street legal go-kart
just ask to meet this guy or his rep at a large banking institution and see how fast he will disappear.

JT
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.