Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Topic split - Comments removed from an ad
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WANTED: 914 Cars and Rollers
Lavanaut
Welcome!

You say "fully restored" but I see from the pics that it's missing a radio and doesn't have vinyl basketweave on the dash face, it's been converted to carbs, there are non-stock gauges, extra side-view mirror, 5-lug, painted top and sail panels, bumpers, etc, etc. Around here, "restored" means that you've taken back to its original condition as delivered by the factory. Obviously that's not an accurate description of your car (no matter how nice it is).

Just a heads-up, no offense intended. Good luck with the sale. bye1.gif
914rrr
QUOTE(Lavanaut @ Dec 29 2008, 06:43 PM) *

Welcome!

You say "fully restored" but I see from the pics that it's missing a radio and doesn't have vinyl basketweave on the dash face, it's been converted to carbs, there are non-stock gauges, extra side-view mirror, 5-lug, painted top and sail panels, bumpers, etc, etc. Around here, "restored" means that you've taken back to its original condition as delivered by the factory. Obviously that's not an accurate description of your car (no matter how nice it is).

Just a heads-up, no offense intended. Good luck with the sale. bye1.gif

LOL..at least let's welcome him before we give him a heads up.
welcome.png

With that said, I don't see that it says 'restored to original specs', so 'restored' to me means...'restored to what the owner likes'. I think his ad is fine, and he just didn't know what he was in for when joining our group. This is a great forum with great people.

Nice 914! Good luck with your sale! beerchug.gif
Lavanaut
Hey, the very first think I said was "Welcome!". poke.gif

Yeah I know it's a semantics thing, but I've seen it discussed often on this site and the general consensus seems to be that "restored" means taken back to its original configuration.

Like I said, no offense intended!

jesiv
Let me first say welcome.png and nice car!

agree.gif with Reid. : restore - to bring back to or put back into a former or original state

Regards,

James
Gint
Can't you guys just let a guy sell his car without debating the definition of one word he used in his ad?
Brisco914prc
QUOTE(Gint @ Dec 30 2008, 08:52 PM) *

Can't you guys just let a guy sell his car without debating the definition of one word he used in his ad?

But that is a critical word in this context. Lavanaut makes a fair point, and he did it in a polite manner. In collectible car circles, "restore" means to return the car back to its original condition, as it came off the assembly line. It is important to use words in a consistent manner so that their meaning is clear to everyone.

The car in question looks like a nice 914 but it is a ways from original stock condition.

Best regards,

Gint
QUOTE(Brisco914prc @ Dec 31 2008, 10:04 AM) *
QUOTE(Gint @ Dec 30 2008, 08:52 PM) *
But that is a critical word in this context. Lavanaut makes a fair point, and he did it in a polite manner. In collectible car circles, "restore" means to return the car back to its original condition, as it came off the assembly line. It is important to use words in a consistent manner so that their meaning is clear to everyone.

The car in question looks like a nice 914 but it is a ways from original stock condition.

Best regards,

Let me put it another way. We don't like to see comments in a classified thread that could possibly be construed as negative unless the seller is blatantly trying to deceive the 914world audience. That is not the case here. These additional comments aren't adding anything to the ad and just aren't necessary. They may in fact hinder the seller's ability to sell his car in difficult financial times.

We have other forums on this site to discuss the definition of things like the word "restored" as it applies to a 914. I'm considering splitting these replies form this topic and putting them in a new topic in the garage or the originality forum. I'll discuss it with the other admins and assess that decision.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Gint @ Dec 31 2008, 11:04 AM) *

Let me put it another way. We don't like to see comments in a classified thread that could possibly be construed as negative unless the seller is blatantly trying to deceive the 914world audience. That is not the case here. These additional comments aren't adding anything to the ad and just aren't necessary. They may in fact hinder the seller's ability to sell his car in difficult financial times.

agree.gif

"Restored" around here means that he took an otherwise neglected car and put a lot of money and effort into making it a nice car to *his* liking ...

Now *if* he had said "restored to fully original" i might see the points made here as valid. But he didn't.

So, what you guys are doing is simply bashing somebody's car in their for sale ad.

Which is pretty sad, IMHO ...
dry.gif Andy
jesiv
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Dec 31 2008, 03:09 PM) *

So, what you guys are doing is simply bashing somebody's car in their for sale ad.

Which is pretty sad, IMHO ...
dry.gif Andy

Well that definitely was not my intention. If that is the way it was interpreted then I sincerely apologize to everyone and especially Mr-914 pray.gif . Again… Nice Car!

Regards,

James

Lavanaut
Mike, I hear where you're coming from. Feel free to strike my comments from the record. I meant no disrespect, and was just pointing out to a newcomer something that I thought was a valid point. It seems that some others here agree, but if I was out of line, ok.

For what it's worth, I absolutely have seen this topic discussed on this board ~ I learned here what 'fully restored' means in the context of our cars, and I was simply passing that along.

Andy, nobody is "bashing" anyone here. Not a word was said as to the quality of this car, one way or the other.
Gint
I realize that and I don't necessarily disagree with you. I tried very hard not to say anything remotely close to "you're bashing his car". I'm pretty sure that wasn't your (or anyone else that posted here) intention. I also know the "restored" definition has been discussed before and you're more than welcome to do so again. Start a new thread in the garage or originality forum if you wish. No problem at all.

But what we have here now is a bunch of chit chat in a guy's classified ad debating whether or not it's fully restored. If a newbie comes along and reads this stuff, in particular if he reads a comment from a well respected club member who has 600+ plus posts, he might misinterpret your intentions and it could reflect negatively on this guys car for sale.
Dominic
You guys missed this one......
Ad states: "2 litre;2000cc" But the heads are 1.7L / 1.8L, so it's hard to call it a real 2.0L engine

Just my $.02
boxstr
Welcome , That us if you decided to stick around after the above ideas and suggestions that were aired.

Anyway, if this car was not pictured or the description did not go into detail about the items that are not stock, then I can see reason to jump on, and beat the seller down. This is not the case.

Personally I think this is good reason to keep the classifieds a no reply section, PM only.

Good luck with the sale.
Gint
Sometime tomorrow all of the comments in this thread will be split off.
Eric_Shea
Oh... and I noticed the rear stub axle bolt was only torqued to 209 not 210!! ohmy.gif

Come on gang... Stay out of people's classified ads. mad.gif

Here's my take Gint:

I think we should post a sticky asking that people refrain from "ANY" comments in classified threads unless they are:

a ) Positive and could help the potential sale of the vehicle, or
b ) Question(s) related to the purchase of the vehicle, meaning; "I'm interested in purchasing your car, does it have a Widget Valve?"

I know that would be asking a lot but listen up guys, "You cannot have freedom without responsibility." If we don't stop picking apart every damn car we see we'll be forced to go with a PM only system as Craig suggests.

If there's a blatant con-artist at work here let one of us know. We'll handle it. But all this banter could cost this guy "Thousands" of dollars on a DAMN NICE CAR... IN THIS ECONOMY. dry.gif

My $0.04
Lavanaut
If i had a burning desire to say to the seller what I did, I should have sent a PM (a polite one, of course) instead of posting here. I DID send a PM to him yesterday apologizing for mucking up his thread.

Never intended any disrespect, but should've been more tactful in the first place. My bad.

Reid
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.