Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rear brake drags (sometimes) Advice?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Porsche Rescue
When I got the car the right rear e-brake cable was disconnected from the caliper. Now I know why. The brake drags but not always. I intend to check the venting clearance first but it seems to me that if that is the problem it should not come and go. Is it likely that something is hanging up in the caliper (e-brake mechanism? pistons?) or could the cable be sticking sometimes? Or all of the above? Any advice appreciated.
Mark Henry
"The brake drags but not always."

One suspect could be an old brake line hose that has swelled shut, it would push fluid through but it won't return proper.
mike_the_man
Could be a sticky e-brake cable. Or, could the spreader spring be missing/broken? I'm not sure how much they really do, in any case. Just a couple of suggestions. I am by no means a brake expert. (I still haven't got mine working right)
RocknRollFrenzy
if it only drags when the cable is connected, then the problem is definitely in the e-brake linkage somwhere....i'd start by checking the cable. could be sticking/catching on something......pull out your drivers seat and take off the little cover just in front of where the cable runs through the fire wall. you might find that one side is pulling more than the other at the linkage here. you might also make sure that you're releasing the e-brake lever all the way. it could just be that your hand is bumping into something from time to time and you think its released before it really is. its a pretty tight space, and i've had that problem a couple times......hand bumps into the floor/edge of the seat before the brake is released all the way.

its probably not a spreader spring. i haven't had one on my left rear for a while, and it hasn't caused the brake to stick. for those more in the know than i, how important are the spreader springs?? should i replace the missing one? it hasn't seemed to have any adverse effects. (yet anyway)
914ghost
When I got the car the right rear e-brake cable was disconnected from the caliper

My car is ezzactly the same. I had to lube the e-brake arm a whole bunch - at the caliper- it turns out it was not returning the last little smidge causing the brake to drag on that one side, I guess the PO disconnected it then pushed it back to 'released position' so it wouldn't drag. I had to pry back and forth and lube to get it loose enough to return.
I also had to adjust the cable (via the cable housing) on that side to 'shorten' it. the adjustment is under the car- sorta right behind/below the drivers butt.
2 nust (you heard me- NUST!), *ahem* NUTS lock the cable housing and by changing where there are on the threaded end of the cable you change the length of it.
I still get a high pitched *squeek squeek* right after releasing the ebrake and driving off.
But thats life.
Brad Roberts
Jim,

You have a piston sticking in the caliper.

B
swood
So is there someone who truly sells a complete rear (and front) caliper rebuild kit? I need to get two complete sets here soon.
Brad Roberts
Depends on what your definition of complete is.

I found "complete" rear kits for 9146's but havent seen a "complete" kit for the 4cyl caliper. I see kits with seals and such.. but the 9146 kit has everything but new pistons (new steel cups for the ebrake and everything)

B
Porsche Rescue
Brad, who has the kits for the 6 rears? HPH? GPR?
Brad Roberts
I can get them for you. I can't reveal that source. It took too long to find it. I'll only make 10$ on you.

They come from the east coast.. so getting them before JP's wont happen.

I dont stock them.

B
Gint
As long as you're ordering... two please?
Red-Beard
A pair for me too
Brad Roberts
Ha ha.. OK.

They are very nice kits. They arrived and it was the first time I was impressed with rebuild kits. Now if we could just get the damn pistons. They had pistons, but they where not machined correctly and they hung out of the bores 3mm when fully compressed. It would have sucked having to machine new pads to fit every time... we will get them corrected. They are stainless.

B
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.