Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Poll: Should I do a 916 Clone
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
carr914
Since I have a Steel-Roof car that is going in the paint shop soon, I need some opinions. With my Steel-Roof, making a 916 clone does make some sense. The color will be going back to the car's original Anacona Blue, so that is set.

I like the 916 rear bumper, but I really don't like the front.

What should I do?

Here is my car now

Click to view attachment

Pictures of the 916 that is closest in color to my car

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
carr914
Somehow I screwed up the Poll option, so just let me know what you think.

T.C.
d914
only an option if you do the fog laps....but not a favorite with me...my 0.02....
stepuptotheMike
I'm with you in that I just don't like the 916 front end. The rear looks good, but I would go with something different on the front end. The Renegade spoiler is my current favorite.

Mike
VaccaRabite
If you have a steel roof, then go for it. Just make sure your FG bumpers fit right. Most of the 916 bumpers I have seen fit like crap on the car. Done right, though, it looks good.

Zach
carr914
QUOTE(stepuptotheMike @ Jan 2 2009, 09:12 AM) *

I'm with you in that I just don't like the 916 front end. The rear looks good, but I would go with something different on the front end. The Renegade spoiler is my current favorite.

Mike

Well, it's either I do a 916 Clone or not. Regardless whether I like the Front bumper or not. Otherwise I just make it look like a GT. But the fact that my car has a Steel-Roof makes me wonder idea.gif

T.C.

another 916 with contrasting colors

Click to view attachment

Richard Casto
It's your car, but I think the 916 front is just beyond outright ugly and dated in a bad way. If it was me, I would maybe keep the steel roof, but ditch the sunroof.
carr914
My Sunroof is major cool. It's solid, it's very big and when it comes out, it's very much like having a targa-top off. And when it is tilted, it's amazing how much air-flow there is through the car. So that will not change. Also I've seen a picture of a prototype (I think Andy posted it) that had a sunroof.

T.C.

more 916s

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

PeeGreen 914
I'm not a big fan of the bumpers but if you do it do it all or not at all. The steel roof is very cool but you can still do regular bumpers like what you have with a cool front airdam or whatever and make it look amazing. Either way you can will look great. drunk.gif
carr914
Yep, it's both 916 bumpers or neither.

T.C.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

carr914
Maybe someone can do a Photoshop for me.

Take the picture below and carry the lower spoiler all the way across under the oil cooler opening. I'm thinking that is what I don't like about the original idea.gif

T.C.

Click to view attachment
Scott S
nevermind.
sixnotfour
TC here is the previous poll
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=83536&st=0

here is the bumper that 914mike made for it. LE across the bottom
Johny Blackstain
I agree in that having a steel roof is a great head start. Unlike the majority of the folks here though, I like the 916's looks, don't find them dated & think she was way ahead of her time. Most JDM type Rs' have a very similar front spoiler design, 40 yrs. later.
There is however, a large list of updates to a 914 to convert it into a 916 that can be rather pricey. You've got the wheel flares so that's another plus, but you'll also need the GT chasis stiffening kit, a 2.7 RS engine, oil cooler up front & the biggie- a 915 5 speed flipped around to work in a mid engined car.
Lots of work & something I've wanted to do now for 30 yrs.
PanelBilly
How about doing a front and back in steel. I'm thinking something like the 916 shape, but with a different spoiler. I too love the rear design of the 916, but I'm not a fan of glass. What about a steel & CF combination?
jt914-6
When I bought an orignal 914-6 it had the 916 kit on it. I never really liked the front bumper either but kept it on. The rear bumper I liked. I sold the oignial 914-6 and am doing a conversion on a '74. Planning on a front oil cooler and brake cooling inlets I'm using the A.I.R. IMSA front bumper. I'm using a 916 rear bumper. I'm making it a "GT" look. The rear fiberglass deck lid/spoiler is from A.I.R. too.
Hope this helps a little on your choice.
carr914
QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Jan 2 2009, 01:11 PM) *

I agree in that having a steel roof is a great head start. Unlike the majority of the folks here though, I like the 916's looks, don't find them dated & think she was way ahead of her time. Most JDM type Rs' have a very similar front spoiler design, 40 yrs. later.
There is however, a large list of updates to a 914 to convert it into a 916 that can be rather pricey. You've got the wheel flares so that's another plus, but you'll also need the GT chasis stiffening kit, a 2.7 RS engine, oil cooler up front & the biggie- a 915 5 speed flipped around to work in a mid engined car.
Lots of work & something I've wanted to do now for 30 yrs.

Steel-Roof - Got it
Flares - Got em
Chassis Stiffening - Got it
2.7RS engine - it has a 2.5, but I have a 2.7RS engine
Oil Cooler - Not yet, but I have one in a box
915 - Not worth the expense

Still need a Photo-shop of the above picture to help make up my mind.

T.C.
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(carr914 @ Jan 2 2009, 02:14 PM) *

915 - Not worth the expense

I agree in general, but the factory did it for a reason & the idea of getting rid of that "spoon in the soup" feeling, along w/ a standard gear shift pattern is very tempting. I need a chasis kit, tranny & a roof & I'm done... rolleyes.gif
PanelBilly
How about 916 rear and slant nose front. I think that's a better match. Maybe adapt a 911 slant nose kit. I tried to figure out the slant nose profile after I welded on the GT flairs and couldn't come up with a body line that looked like it worked right.
Gustl
QUOTE(carr914 @ Jan 2 2009, 05:24 PM) *

Also I've seen a picture of a prototype (I think Andy posted it) that had a sunroof.

it's Ferry's 914-8

rfuerst911sc
TC if your decision is " all or nothing " I vote nothing. I like the rear bumper but the 916 front bumper looks like dog shit in my opinion. How's the knee coming along?
carr914
Rick, the knee is good, I just got back from a short run. How was New York?

Yep, if all or nothing, nothing is winning because of that front bumper. I wish I could Photo-shop

T.C.
tod914
Go for it while your haveing it painted. You can always swap over to something else if you want to change.
slow914
916 looks terrible, that car is so clean just the way it is I say just leave it. Put the old chrome mirror on, shave the antenna and drive the hell out of it aktion035.gif
hcdmueller
If you decide to go 916 and want some nice bumpers a company in the UK called Gantspeed Engineering makes a very high quality set. They weren't happy with the fit of the aftermarket ones and made their own molds. The high quality is reflected in the price.

I only like the look of the 916 in certain colors. The blue is good. Go for it.
Johny Blackstain
I don't have photoshop & tried a crude attempt w/ paint. This what you wanted?
carr914
Yes, That was what I was looking for.

Crude, but it makes that Butt-Ass ugly front end look much better

T.C.
dw914er
put on some chrome bumpers, and just have like a clean 914-6 gt style, with a steel roof.

im not the biggest fan of the 916 bumpers though
Scott S
I dont understand - why would you want peoples opinions on creating a replica of a car you dont like?
Scott S
nevermind...
carr914
To see if you guys could change my mind biggrin.gif

And this is the only car that it makes sense to make into a 916

And I've driven a Real 916 Very very Fast

T.C.
number6
Hi TC. I'm with you - the front 916 bumper just doesn't do anything for me. The rear is better, but I think the chrome bumper is way more aesthetically-pleasing. Plus, I don't think the 916 rear would look good w/ your megaphones. So my vote: No 916.

-duc
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(carr914 @ Jan 2 2009, 05:51 PM) *

Crude, but it makes that Butt-Ass ugly front end look much better
T.C.

I don't agree but so what... to each his own.

It appears to me what you want is a 914 GT front end w/ an old style "chin" spoiler underneath. I know someone used to make a chin spoiler, but it was never made to fit around the GT oil cooler grill. Maybe chop & fit a 69 Camaro repro from Year One under a GT bumper & valance?
burton73
You can do what I am doing to #41. Chrome front bumper with a GT opening cut matching the GT valance. Just like Georges (AA) Red car. The blue of the old 916 that went to Germany is the best. It your thing, do what you want to do.

Bob
Justinp71
I wouldn't do it, most people dont really know what a 916 is and I think your car looks better as it is then a 916...

rfuerst911sc
QUOTE(carr914 @ Jan 2 2009, 01:40 PM) *

Rick, the knee is good, I just got back from a short run. How was New York?

Yep, if all or nothing, nothing is winning because of that front bumper. I wish I could Photo-shop

T.C.

The trip to N.Y. was good. We got to see some snow and to freeze our asses off biggrin.gif I'm going over to the painters tomorrow to check on my car. It's not done but coming along. I hope to get her back this month. Good to here the knee is healing. beerchug.gif
carr914
I've already made a cool looking functional front spoiler, but the look of the modified 916 front bumper almost does it for me.

T.C.

Click to view attachment
URY914
Don't do it. There are too many BAD 916 fiberglass hatch jobs out there. Even if you do it right, it will be a copy.
sixnotfour
half baked attempt
carr914
I'm so confused
914junkie
QUOTE(carr914 @ Jan 2 2009, 06:06 AM) *

Somehow I screwed up the Poll option, so just let me know what you think.

T.C.

916's are super cool and I think they look great. And I know this doesn't help but I think yer car looks damn nice the way it is and I wouldn't do anything to it. Good luck, hope ya find what yer look'n for! Paul. aktion035.gif
turnaround89
Im in the process of building a 916 clone, I love the look of the car and think that it has a little bit more sports car looks than a plain 914. I love the look of the 914, but like the 916 more.

Even if you do it right, it will be a copy.

A lot of the cars on this site are copies, how many people make their 914-4 into a 914-6, that would be a copy. Or going to the 914 Gt, that would also be a copy. The only way to not copy would be leaving the car completely stock, then you wouldn't be copying at all.

Its your car, do what you want. The steel roof looks great, i won't put that on mine because i love taking the top off in the summer in Illinois. I know i will probably get some opinions about leaving the targa in and not making it a steel roof like a realy 916. But its my car, and i don't care what others think about it.

As long as you love what you drive, who cares what others think.

most people dont really know what a 916 is

Not many people know what the 914 is either. At least in Illinois they don't. Thats one of the fun parts about owning a 914-4, 914-6, 914 GT, 916 clone, etc. You get to explain to people what it is!! I like being able to do that. When people don't know what your car is, their interested in it and thats the point of driving a different car, getting peoples attention.
URY914
I just love it here when Member A comes on and asks for everyone opinion on what they should do with their car.

Member B come on and gives his opinion to Member A.

Then Member C comes on an flames Member B for giving an opinion he doesn't agree with.

confused24.gif rolleyes.gif ar15.gif

turnaround89
Isn't that the point of an opinion. If you don't agree with someone, you voice your opinion. The whole thread is about opinions, agreeing or disagreeing on the looks of the 916, and trying to sway someones decision on what to do.

rfuerst911sc
QUOTE(carr914 @ Jan 2 2009, 05:46 PM) *

I've already made a cool looking functional front spoiler, but the look of the modified 916 front bumper almost does it for me.

T.C.

Click to view attachment

TC I am thinking about making similar mods to my existing front valance. Did you do the work on this? Any templates or advice on how this was done?
markb
I like the 916 look, but I'd put chrome bumpers on yours & call it good. If you're not absolutely in love with the 916 front, it will always bug you, and you won't enjoy the car as much if it's not what you truly want, right? Do it the way you really want to do it.
carr914
QUOTE(rfuerst911sc @ Jan 3 2009, 08:03 AM) *

QUOTE(carr914 @ Jan 2 2009, 05:46 PM) *

T.C.

Click to view attachment

TC I am thinking about making similar mods to my existing front valance. Did you do the work on this? Any templates or advice on how this was done?

Rick, I'm a cheapsmack, so when I flared this car I used my F/G GT bumper and existing GT valance (non-flared) and then bonded this lower valance that I got in trade from smg914 to the other lower valance. Since the valance wasn't flared and didn't extend out to the GT flares, I made a cardboard template of the shape and then cut some aluminum to make my dive-planes.

Also this ended as 1 piece, everything was connected.

I will also say that this did not stand up to a Raccoon attack. I was driving back from Sebring, when a friggin huge Raccoon ran in front of me. My dive-planes must have sliced him up good, added some F/G for spice, then tenderized by smashing under car, leave to bake on tarmac under the Florida sun - Yum chowtime.gif

That Raccoon took off all the valances, left my brake ducts dangling and dragging on the ground. I had to pull over on a side road, with zip-ties and duct tape to get pieces somewhat together.

Here's pictures of what I used and progress before dive-planes, then finished piece from a different angle. It was low to the ground.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

My favorite picture, I hit the raccoon later that day

Click to view attachment
turnaround89
That is a wicked looking front end carr914. Its is awesome!! Good work!!

If you're not absolutely in love with the 916 front, it will always bug you

agree.gif
URY914
QUOTE(turnaround89 @ Jan 3 2009, 12:30 AM) *

Isn't that the point of an opinion. If you don't agree with someone, you voice your opinion. The whole thread is about opinions, agreeing or disagreeing on the looks of the 916, and trying to sway someones decision on what to do.

No I don't agree. You can give your opinion with out slamming someone for having their own opinion. You can try to sway the owner of the car with your opinion and to change his opinion, but I didn't ask you to try to change my opinion. I like my opinion and you won't change it so don't try. I now have an opinion of you that won't change too.
Joe Bob
The 916 front end is not the best alternative to style. I always hated it. Some people like it. Just not my style. Less so on the rear end.

It looks like it is....an unfinished prototype that didn't make it to the marketplace.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.