Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Anyone use Marvel Mystery Oil ?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
levonfarra
Use in gas, oil or both?

Any advise would be appreciated.

Levon
r_towle
Its a detergant oil.
It scrubs everything.

I use it on my Eurovan once per year in the oil.
Never used it in the fuel..

Rich
ahdoman
I used it with great success in my last 914 (hydraulic lifters - if they got dirty they were a PITA!). Put it in your oil about 250 miles before you change it. It does a great job of cleaning the gunk out of your engine.
GeorgeRud
Back in the good old days, we used to use ATF fluid for the same cleaning properties, put it in the crankcase before an oil change. It did do a nice job of quieting noisy lifters. Don't remember any engines blowing up from it, but we only used it on American V8s.
tod914
Not too long ago some people mentioned sea foam too that worked really well.
Cap'n Krusty
Marvel oil is essentially scented and dyed kerosene. Cost's a LOT more, though. Use BG 44K in the fuel, or use fuel with Techron and save your money. The Cap'n
racerx7
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Jan 2 2009, 11:43 PM) *

Marvel oil is essentially scented and dyed kerosene. Cost's a LOT more, though. Use BG 44K in the fuel, or use fuel with Techron and save your money. The Cap'n

That is good to know.

What you you recommend for the cleaning engine oil?

levonfarra
How is the best way to use it in the oil (how much and how long are you suppose to leave it in there)? I also heard that if you use it in the fuel, it lubricates the entire fuel system (pump, injectors, etc.), it kind of replaces the lead that use to be in the fuel back in the day that the system was design for. Any input?

confused24.gif
Al Meredith
Two years ago I bought a 1970 S Targa with mechanical FI. It hadn't run in a year when I got it. I asked around , since I had no experiance with MFI and I was told to put 4/5 oz of Marvel Oil in the fuel for three tanks and that would free up the pump. Worked as stated. I also ran into a Lotus vintage racer who had a MFI engine and he told me he added 3 tablespoons to each tank for the pump.
Cap'n Krusty
The company that makes MMO recommends it be added to the fuel. I use a number of engine cleaners, and I think Amway's product works best. These are run'em and drain'em products. BG also makes a good one. Other than lead additives, which you DO NOT need in ANY Porsche or VW (or any other engine with hardened valve seats), there are no products which "replace the lead". MFI and EFI systems don't need the lead anyway.
As for ATF, it too works fine, but it's another technique that requires you to add it, run it, and drain the oil. You don't want to load your engine while running extremely low viscosity oil. Has a tendency to make the bearings go away after a while.

BTW, IMO, if you've allowed your engine to get in the condition where you need an engine cleaner, you have no business doing your own work.

The Cap'n
scottb
i've heard that some folks use MMO for fogging a motor for winter storage.... coats the cylinders and along with sta-bil you are supposed to be set for long term safe storage.

no experience, just what i have heard.....

levonfarra
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Jan 3 2009, 11:58 AM) *

The company that makes MMO recommends it be added to the fuel. I use a number of engine cleaners, and I think Amway's product works best. These are run'em and drain'em products. BG also makes a good one. Other than lead additives, which you DO NOT need in ANY Porsche or VW (or any other engine with hardened valve seats), there are no products which "replace the lead". MFI and EFI systems don't need the lead anyway.
As for ATF, it too works fine, but it's another technique that requires you to add it, run it, and drain the oil. You don't want to load your engine while running extremely low viscosity oil. Has a tendency to make the bearings go away after a while.

BTW, IMO, if you've allowed your engine to get in the condition where you need an engine cleaner, you have no business doing your own work.

The Cap'n

I have owned my car for about two years and it runs great. I just thought that it would be a good idea to run it through and clean the insides of the motor.? And maybe use it as a preventitive measure. Is there any way it can hurt the motor or fuel injection system?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.