Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The 911 style dash for a 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Rockaria
Hello All,

I have been excited for a few weeks now. I have installed a Getty Dash in my 914 and wanted to post info an pictures for anone who may be interested. There is not much info and differing opinions on the Getty dash out there right now. So this is why I have made a web page of my project.

IPB Image

To sum it up. Getty Still makes the dash ($225 plus shipping) and YES it is worth the install. Every bad word I have heard about it just was not true. The dash is a direct fit (Though I do not know about the very early 914s) My car is a 75. I think 1972-76 are the same. You can see the gauges just fine. The Original gauge cluster support did not need cutting off to fit the gauges, they all fit just fine. And you can install it withe the winshild in.

But enough of that here. There is a ton of info on my getty 914 dash page:

http://lib.nmsu.edu/~clandt/914/gettydash/index.html

[Oh before I forget and someone opens their mouth on it... Yes I have two clocks! I am waiting for my Head Temp gauge to arrive that will replace the small clock on the lower console... The gauges I have now are, oil temp, volt, air/fuel meter, oil presure, and the rest. so the dash works perfectly with the nice center console without duplication.]

I hope this helps... Enjoy,
JmuRiz
You going for the whole 911 look w/ that dash and wheel? Just kidding, looks good...as does the rest of the car (Interior and those new speakerboxes look sharp). The question is...you have 2 clocks...but do they work? If so let me know if you wanna get rid of the old stock console clock, mine died on me cool.gif
Air_Cooled_Nut
WOW! Looks great and THANK YOU for the write-up! smilie_pokal.gif I've bookmarked your write-up so don't change its location smile.gif
Rockaria
QUOTE(JmuRiz @ Feb 17 2004, 12:20 PM)
You going for the whole 911 look w/ that dash and wheel?  Just kidding, looks good...as does the rest of the car (Interior and those new speakerboxes look sharp).  The question is...you have 2 clocks...but do they work?  If so let me know if you wanna get rid of the old stock console clock, mine died on me  cool.gif

I acutally got a 914 because I could not afford a 911. In all of my projects I am puttiing as many 911 parts in the 914 as possible and quite interesting, have spent enough money to have actualy bought a nice 911. Oh well...

Both clocks work, but I need to keep it incase I put the dash back to original status. I have a ton of perfect parts I cannot sell because of this, including a complete 914 4 lug, hub, brake, wheel and tire setup.

Oh the humanity and space takeruper...
tat2dphreak
clap56.gif

wow!!! that looks great! do have a link to buy one of those?! idea.gif
Rockaria
QUOTE(tat2dphreak @ Feb 17 2004, 01:26 PM)
clap56.gif

wow!!! that looks great! do have a link to buy one of those?! idea.gif

Link and phone number is on the Web page with my complete writeup...

or http://www.gettydesign.com/

enjoy,
tat2dphreak
I saw the link right after I posted... blink.gif
tat2dphreak
I *know* it would be the hard way to save a few bucks.. but could a 911 dash simply be "trimmed" to fit in a 914 ? all us cheap bastards (me) want to know!
415PB
Dude, that rocks. Great job and it looks awesome. Thanks for the write up.
3d914
Thanks for documenting all the work. That gives others a good insight as to what the job entails.

It sure looks good. I also like the no ash-tray look.

Enjoy!
Brad Roberts
You can see the gauges just fine because you used a 911/944 steering wheel.

The early cars require cutting.

Which speedo did you use ?

B
Brad Roberts
Nevermind..on the speedo.

Do all of your needles match on the gauges ?

B
iiibdsiil
What kinda cutting has to be done? Is it a hard install on the early? I like the setup, although, I might want to look into something kinda custom.

- Brett Smith
Brad Roberts
The setup looks awesome when you are done. What most people dont factor in is the cost of the gauges. Using stock faded gauges is not the hot ticket...so having them redone can get real costly quickly.

We had to cut the gauge frame off the car. It can be done crudely with tin snips. Our gauges hit the frame for some reason (early tub)

B
Rockaria
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Feb 17 2004, 10:32 PM)
Nevermind..on the speedo.

Do all of your needles match on the gauges ?

B

YES, All of my gauges/needles are calibrated perfectly to match. What I did was to actually take out the 911 VDO part of the gauge and replace it with the VDO part I had that matches the 914 sender on each gauge I needed to fix (Temp, Pres). I did not use the oil level yet since I don't have an extra gauge that I need. I bought a 944 Volt gauge that I may try and fit in its place. On the oil level gauge I just grounded a 100 ohm resistor to make it look like it is doing something. Looks cool, but thats all... looks.

I did a few tests with the 911 fuel gauge and it was perfect from the getgo (The 911 and 914 senders are identical part numbers). I tested it with 1/4-empty then filled it part way, tested, then toped the tank. Both the 914 and 911 senders showed the exact same.

The 911 gauges have a diameter of 80mm 100mm and 115mm 100mm 80mm
The 914 gauges have a diameter of 100mm 115mm 100mm

So the three you already have fit perfect. I have heard others needeing a new spedometer. I am a computer geek not mechanic, but just cannot think of why you would need a new speedo.

I also thought that If I did not want a clock, but wanted to move 2 more gauges to the dash I could buy another 911 Fuel/Oil gauge and retrofit it with the parts from other VDO gauges then refinish the top of the gauge face to get rid of the words.

Those VDO gauges are sweet. They come apart really easy and the actual needle units/parts of the gauge can swap out to any other VDO gauge. It's quite cool.

Also the gauges were not that expensive. I went to Evilbay and got some screaming deals on WORKING gauges. $35 each.

I was prepared to cut out the Gauge support if I had to. I wanted to try everything first to be sure I did not have to. Luckily on my 75' everything fit perfectly. But if I did cut out the suuport I was going to do it carefully and add bolts and a metal (erector set like) strip to it so I could put it back if needed later.
iiibdsiil
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Feb 17 2004, 10:25 PM)
We had to cut the gauge frame off the car. It can be done crudely with tin snips. Our gauges hit the frame for some reason (early tub)

B

If that is all that needs cutting, then that is simple. An extra 20 minutes of work would be worth it to me.

- Brett Smith
jonwatts
I'll ask this again cuz I forgot Andy's answer from last time (stupid brain headbang.gif ).

Getty makes the same dash in carbon fiber but they don't list a price in their catalog. Anyone know what they go for?

I should just call and order one, I forgot they make parts to order. Otherwise I'll get hit with that 4 week lead time like 2 weeks before the West Coast Classic.
SirAndy
QUOTE(jonwatts @ Feb 18 2004, 09:22 AM)
Getty makes the same dash in carbon fiber but they don't list a price in their catalog. Anyone know what they go for?

upper 200dreds ...

$290 ? or something ? Andy
Eddie Williams
I wonder if they'd do just the instrument cluster piece in CF?
SirAndy
QUOTE(Eddie Williams @ Apr 12 2004, 02:58 PM)
I wonder if they'd do just the instrument cluster piece in CF?

that plate is actually just FG when your order the CF dash ... sad.gif
Eddie Williams
bummer
jonwatts
Andy gets a smilie_pokal.gif for the longest time before replying, almost 2 months!

What's interesting though is that when I talked to Getty Design a few weeks ago they said they had never made their 5 gauge dash in carbon fiber, just fiberglass. I said "uh, I've seen one in person" and the guy says "Nope, not to my knowledge." Anyway he said he'd go ahead and do one in carbon fiber so that's all I really care about, the price was fair and the dash is somewhere in the shipping channel now.

However I did pick up my carbon fiber deck lids today driving.gif
Sparky
I need to call Getty. I ordered my dash almost a month ago and still has not shown up. Awesome write up! I may cover mine and color match my interior when the car gets back from the shop. If the dash ever gets in....

Mike D.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.