Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: CIS 3.0L install tips and tricks wanted
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Nana's_914
I am very close to starting on my 6 conversion. drooley.gif

I have a decent inventory of parts now. Many of the parts are from my '77/'78 911SC hybrid donor car. I've seen that many folks ditch the CIS for carbs, but I would like to keep the CIS if I can.

I've heard about CIS interference issues requiring latch relocation and using banjo fuel lines to clear the trunk side of the engine bay. Are there any adjustments to mount locations needed to make the motor fit without cutting the car? What other surprises may I be in for?

Some of the parts I am using are RJ bulkhead mount, a WEVO 915, DW oil tank, and MSDS headers. Parts I still need are engine tins, oil lines(hoping to mod the 911 lines), and chassis reinforcement. Parts recommendations welcome.

Thanks
SLITS
Rich calls for an installed height of 7" on his mount. It is possible that you may be able to lower it to 6.5" so the fuel distributor will clear. Give him a call and see what he thinks. It's what I'm going to do on my next one.

I also cut the trunk torsion bars out and used the shock kit.

I just cut the engine latch off and used hood pins on each side. Racing bling ya know.

You do know that if you want to use a 914 transmission you have to acquire a '70-'71 901/911 transmission** or have Kennedy make you a flywheel out of a type 4 or early 901 flywheel. 6 bolt thru the 2.7L and yours is 9 bolt. That's why I stay with the 2.7L even though I do have a 3.0L. Maybe there is another way of doing it, but I ain't that smart or have enough money.

** Clutch kit for this transmission is $800.

You will have to install the front engine tin after you have the engine installed. It won't clear the mount when installing the engine.

Well, that's my experience anyway.

scotty b
QUOTE(Nana's_914 @ Jan 3 2009, 07:20 PM) *

Some of the parts I am using are RJ bulkhead mount, a WEVO 915, DW oil tank, and MSDS headers. Parts I still need are engine tins, oil lines(hoping to mod the 911 lines), and chassis reinforcement. Parts recommendations welcome.

Thanks

Step away from the J Gumby poke.gif laugh.gif
Nana's_914
QUOTE(SLITS @ Jan 3 2009, 10:51 PM) *

Rich calls for an installed height of 7" on his mount. It is possible that you may be able to lower it to 6.5" so the fuel distributor will clear. Give him a call and see what he thinks. It's what I'm going to do on my next one.

I also cut the trunk torsion bars out and used the shock kit.

I just cut the engine latch off and used hood pins on each side. Racing bling ya know.

You do know that if you want to use a 914 transmission you have to acquire a '70-'71 901/911 transmission** or have Kennedy make you a flywheel out of a type 4 or early 901 flywheel. 6 bolt thru the 2.7L and yours is 9 bolt. That's why I stay with the 2.7L even though I do have a 3.0L. Maybe there is another way of doing it, but I ain't that smart or have enough money.

** Clutch kit for this transmission is $800.

You will have to install the front engine tin after you have the engine installed. It won't clear the mount when installing the engine.

Well, that's my experience anyway.

Thanks for the tips. You have CIS in yours? Any pics?

As for trans... I just finished going through the trouble/expense of modifying the 915 with a WEVO side shift kit and a Guards Club 40/60 LSD.
SLITS
Yeh, Scotty nailed me on the tranny .... guess I don't read with comphrension. biggrin.gif

I sold the first conversion and do not have images of it.

The second conversion is on the back burner so I don't have any images.

I used CIS on both cars.

Wish I could help you.
GeorgeRud
The modified 915 should bolt right up to your 3.0 liter, that's what it mated with originally in the 911, so no problems there. You'll like the 915 gearbox, it shifts nicely as long as you don't try to speed shift too often. Changing to the rear trunk strut kit will gain you a bit of room at the back of the engine compartment, and makes for a nice, clean install (actually a whole lot nicer than the torsion springs). It should be possible to relocate the engine hood latch, but the hood pin idea is not a bad one.

When it's all in, you should have a nice setup. You might also check with George Hussey (Dr914 @ Auto Atlanta) as I believe he has this same setup in one of his cars.
scotty b
Is the 915 superior enough to a side shifter to warrant the expense ? I have both and have debated whether or not to use the 915 in the 914 or hold on to it until if and when I get an early 911 to build confused24.gif
Nana's_914
QUOTE(scotty b @ Jan 3 2009, 11:18 PM) *

Is the 915 superior enough to a side shifter to warrant the expense ? I have both and have debated whether or not to use the 915 in the 914 or hold on to it until if and when I get an early 911 to build confused24.gif

For me yes. For others maybe not. My 901 needed a rebuild and I wasn't interested in spending anything on it. I really didn't want to live with the shortcomings of the 901 anymore.
Justinp71
You can flip the whole CIS system and have the airbox on the firewall side, I have seen it done, but you need to modify the engine shroud.

Also you will need a 6pin CDI or an MSD setup.
Nana's_914
QUOTE(Justinp71 @ Jan 3 2009, 11:53 PM) *

You can flip the whole CIS system and have the airbox on the firewall side, I have seen it done, but you need to modify the engine shroud.

Cool! I was wondering about that. I'd like to have seen that.
I have an MSD.
pete-stevers
the problems i ran into with my 3.0 install was the cis was to tall
so i dropped the engine mount by about one inch including the tranny.(on Eric Shea's recomendations)
deleting the breather hole on the back of the rubber boot attop the intake
and against the wishes of the purists and the paranoid i cut a hole in the fire wall for timing and belt replacement
and you will need to cut the engine lid latch off. relocate it if you choose to keep it
with dropping the engine the shift rod will need to be modified, and the rj engine mount will need to be ground a bit for clearance( on the engine side)
skip the idea of trying to turn the intake around...if you want to go to that length
you should just do carbs.
there are plenty of cis converted cars with the cis in its stock location
r_towle
QUOTE(scotty b @ Jan 3 2009, 11:18 PM) *

OK
First...you wont get an early 911 to build...face it.
Second...BEETLE...dont waste it on a 914....seriously
Its as tempermental (if not more so ) than a 901.

Rich
scotty b
QUOTE(r_towle @ Jan 4 2009, 01:45 PM) *

OK
First...you wont get an early 911 to build...face it.

Rich

Says you, I know of 2 that are mine if I want them bootyshake.gif BEETLE ?? Nah I've got a bus tranny in my baja slap.gif
r_towle
Hole in head!!!!
Find me an oval already....or at least a split roof clip...
Rich
scotty b
QUOTE(r_towle @ Jan 4 2009, 02:01 PM) *

Hole in head!!!!
Rich

Yes that's why I haven't gotten either one. I have other projects I'd much rather do smile.gif
r_towle
QUOTE(scotty b @ Jan 4 2009, 05:54 PM) *

QUOTE(r_towle @ Jan 4 2009, 02:01 PM) *

Hole in head!!!!
Rich

Yes that's why I haven't gotten either one. I have other projects I'd much rather do smile.gif

Zactly...

Now, hunt me down a split window roof clip.....please...
Just the back window and vents...

Rich
iamchappy
With some minor resurfacing, you can use the 3.0 flywheel with the 901, you will need a new starter ring , clutch, pressure plate and throw out bearing(I got my parts from Kennedy). The 901 is easily up to the task with a 180hp 3.0.

I had to shave the ribs on the rubber intake boot with mine and notch the back edge of the engine lid around the fuel distributor. I relocated the latch but later pinned it.
I have the stock 6 mount, if i was mounting a new mount i would place it 3/4 to an inch lower to accomidate the engine height, and space down the tranny a little too.
SLITS
QUOTE(Justinp71 @ Jan 3 2009, 08:53 PM) *

I haven't tried it yet, but I would think that you could rotate the fuel distributor to clear the fuel inlet lines from the rear firewall. Since it is constant injection, the position of the feeds shouldn't be important as to cylinder number.

Just a thought.
goose2
I'm installing a 3.0 with CSI soon. I've collected a few pics of what others have done....may help:

Audi airbox used in the first 3
goose2
some more:
Ferg
The Audi airbox pics are my old engine, It was a 2.7 and was first in my white six, before I pulled it for a 3.2 upgrade.

I sold it to Doug? and those are pics from in his car, It was a slick set up and seemed easy enough to duplicate. I think it was the airbox from a 5cyc audi IIRC with the fuel dizzy mounted on. You can see the pop off valve and the epoxy to seal the top of the runners.

Yellow one with the shaved ribs is Mountain Man's yellow six here in CO. Not sure what engine mount he has.

Ferg

Here is a pic out of the car, before it went into the orange car.
pete-stevers
goose...that orange 914 with the modified airbox has it even run poke.gif
i rember seeing those pics two to three years back....
Ferg
QUOTE(pete-stevers @ Jan 5 2009, 05:44 PM) *

I think he had it running and then sold the car. Not 100% on that, but I remember it being for sale shortly after he got it together.

Ran great for me. I drove it to CA and back twice, most reliable 914 I have ever had.

Ferg
goose2
QUOTE(pete-stevers @ Jan 5 2009, 04:44 PM) *

....not my car, just pictures I collected in anticipation of my install. But I do have a project car in progress...or lack of progress. I started it a couple years ago but got busy moving, building new house and shop and boat stuff. I plan on getting back to it next summer. The car had a 2.4 (Rootwerks car), I built a fresh 3.0 for it....got all the good stuff to make it work...but no time . Stay tuned...I'll surprise you all one day when I drive it to a meet. driving.gif
Dr Evil
If you do a search here you can find pics of my 2.7 CIS. I cant find them on this computer. It is not hard to do smile.gif
Nana's_914
This thread has gotten interesting! biggrin.gif

Ferg - That is a really cool setup. Are the throttlebody and intake runners mated to a modified (trimmed down) 911 airbox?

Goose2 - Thanks for posting all the pics. What do you know about the motor with the green shroud?
Justinp71
Also the 3.0 CIS has an AAR valve and another valve that stick way off the back of the system (flywheel side).

My 75 2.7 CIS fit fine in my car with no trunk latch, but it looked like those two valves on the 3.0 CIS wouldn't fit in their original location.

But my 75 2.7 was extremely reliable, had it running for 8 years with no problems...and it still runs I just upgraded to a 3.0.
Mountain914
QUOTE(Ferg @ Jan 5 2009, 03:51 PM) *

Yellow one with the shaved ribs is Mountain Man's yellow six here in CO. Not sure what engine mount he has.

Patrick Motorsports mount IIRC - can't find the part number though. Makes the 3.0L sit perfectly with the CIS.
Jeffs9146
Nana's_914, What did you end up doing with your 3.0L Injection??

I am about to attempt this and was leaning tward flipping the injection?

I would love to hear your results!

Jeff

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.