Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: CA smog test
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Jenny
It's that time of year again, and I have to get my truck smogged. Last time I had one done, it was about $24 plus certificate. Is it true they've up'd it to about $60 a pop?

TIA,
Jen
RocknRollFrenzy
CA now required that cars be smogged while on a chasis dyno. i'm not sure exactly what the reasoning behind this is, but it makes the smog procedure longer and more involved for the shop, so the cost is probably going to go up. i've seen a couple places that are charging $95 for a 'dyno-smog'.
d7n7master
ohmy.gif
Just had our 84 Olds smogged yesterday at a smog only station. $58.60. OUCH!!! But - it passed - smilie_pokal.gif
They worked on it for 45 minutes soooo maybe thats fair. Welcome to Kalifornia.
Britain Smith
This is why I bought a 914 as a daily driver...no SMOG. The registration was only $75 also.

-Britain
sanglee007
I've seen them from 50.00 to 100.00+.

I think CA is making everyone Chassis Dyno to get rid of older cars that barely pass smog with Smog I.

IIRC, the Central Valley and Sacramento Area have been SMOG II for awhile now.

Sang
efrenv
Look for coupons at the back of your telephone book. They are from about $22 to $30 with the coupon. You can also find a smog station that will do "price match" wink.gif
sj914
From what was explained to me is that testing the vehicle underload puts out more emissons. The new test also includes pressure testing the gas cap.
Hi_Fi_Guy
QUOTE(sj914 @ Feb 17 2004, 12:14 PM)
From what was explained to me is that testing the vehicle underload puts out more emissons. The new test also includes pressure testing the gas cap.

THis is what they do in AZ as well for all cars 1968 and newer.

If you ever see the AZ state "smog techs" run the cars on the rolling road you would rather die than have on of those jerks abuse your teener. The test for smog and gas cap may help save the environment but the testing conditions are certainly not safe. I mean all they do is chock the front wheels and then flog the throttle for a few mins. while the cars sort of fish-tail back and forth on the rollers. I wonder how often one of those cars get away from them?
sj914
Around here, the smog techs says its a waste of money for the state to make them pay for all new equipment.
Jenny
Thanks guys. Sounds like I should bring my own vaseline when I go. ohmy.gif

Jen
jonwatts
Yep Jenny, just had my truck done too for $60.

Full time AWD vehicles are exempt from the chassis dyno but I somehow doubt they get charged less for the smog test.
MattR
Theres a guy I know, its 80 bucks but your car passes every time... wink.gif

i had my fiat smogged twice for a total of 100 bucks. that was half what I paid for the car, and it still wouldnt pass, so i got a 914.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.