Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hershey MidEngine Invasion
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Events Forum > Past Event Planning Threads
r_towle
Im thinking the East Coast Invasion.

I have contacted rgeiner@sagetechs.com (Rick Geiner) at Hershey (Central PA PCA)

I have asked for the following
Four spaces for a club booth/hangout
Special 914 World/Club parking in the corral
20-40 cars in the Autox on Sunday with a special club race/award
A hotel that we can take over

Dr Evil...if you could locate a few hotels (with bars that actually are open at night) that would be cool.

Anything else?

I am planning to focus on this event and get all the lazy bums to go to hershey...rain or shine.

Rich
rmital
QUOTE(r_towle @ Jan 6 2009, 04:23 PM) *

Air Cooled Incursion

r_towle
QUOTE(rmital @ Jan 6 2009, 04:36 PM) *

QUOTE(r_towle @ Jan 6 2009, 04:23 PM) *

Air Cooled Incursion

laugh.gif

Well most of the 911's are aicooled also...and the 912.

Rich
r_towle
Im out at Robotics (usfirst.org) for every night till Feb 17th...its a grueling 6 week program...

So, talk amongst yourselves, I get back at 9pm most nights.

One thing I would like to talk about is including the 914 Club site also...at the end of the day its one big community with no lines.

I would like to target 40 cars...I figure we get 20 at Foleys open house....we should be able to get 20 from the southern groups...thats 40 in one place...

Rich
rmital
QUOTE(r_towle @ Jan 6 2009, 05:12 PM) *

One thing I would like to talk about is including the 914 Club site also...at the end of the day its one big community with no lines.

agreed...I hope this is the outcome
I've made more contacts in the Jersey area on the Club site recently

QUOTE(r_towle @ Jan 6 2009, 05:12 PM) *

I figure we get 20 at Foleys open house....

I know of at least 4 newbies (including myself) that will be attending for the first time this year...added to the 10-15 regulars that I've heard about.
VaccaRabite
In the past there have been about 20 914s scattered around the parking lot at Hershey. Maybe more, I haven't counted.

Weather can be a HUGE variable there. Last year was really nice (so of course I missed the event. Hey, I just had a baby.) The year before that was cold and drizzely. The year before that was a monsoon.

Name ideas:
Spring Fling at Hershey
Chocolate and Cars
Redheaded Stepchildren (though I guess we'd have to allow 924 owners too)
MidEngine Invasion

Zach
r_towle
This is right on

Hershey MidEngine Invasion

Rich
Dr Evil
I'll look into a hotel. This place is kinda dead as far as bars at the hotel being open. They will likely keep it open if we have enough people, though. Also, the hotels are gonna be booked here. There is a Holiday Inn that is big in Grantville which is 15-20min down the road from here and has a lot of bars, restaurants, etc.
rmital
..any interest in producing "lanyard/name tags for the event?

I remember in the recent past, forget where the event was held (might have been Hershey) the website/club/world produced name tags with cool lanyards.

I know a few members by face, so this would interest me. They could have 914 graphics so meeting other members will be easy around the entire meet.

ordering thru one of the sites....I could produce the actual card that would fit into the plastic holder with name and graphics. People could paypal whatever small amount of money that would cover the material and mailing. Should be minimal.

...or course, most will forget them at home....only real set back

any thoughts??

There might be a stock pile of these already produced????
Dr Evil
I want a pit pass! I have mine from WCC 05 and it is a very cool trinket to have smile.gif
r_towle
Funny you ask...

Jim Hoyland just PM'd me and offered to make Lanyards with name and pics for FREE...so he wins on the price.

Mike....the hotel is all I ask of you...its REALLY important.
It must have a bar...think about it.
The bartender/manager must accept bribes to stay open till state regulations require them to close....
This is HUGE ....
Just my opinion though...
I am happy with a motel and a real bar (pool table, down and dirty place) within walking distance...that is also very cool. Walking is important.

Ray...
Put your most sarcastic thinking cap on. How about Awards....
We need award catagories for both the car show/corral on Saturday, and the Autox on Sunday.
Funny awards...
I have two I would like to see for saturday.
First is Best Beater...a beater is a beat up car that made it.
Its the best shitbox....
The award is a duel egg beater mounted on a plaque..

Second, most creative use of parts...
The award is an art project (I am sure we can get some artist to make something) made purely out of 914 parts.. Small but bizzarre

We should also have serious car show awards...make up some that no one has ever been judged for...like best glove box...nicest stereo etc etc.
I think...shoot me if its stupid...we should have NO normal awards....all awards should be surprise types.
AND....we should tell no one. Let the member judge the cars on a 1-10 scale with a list of items to review about 20 long for each car...
We can come up with awards based upon those scores.
Best Beater will be a single item voted on..its usually obvious who gets that award.
Most creative also...just a 1-10.

We can give Pat an award just for driving his car...it would probably win the concours anyways...

Autox
We need slowest driver...best spinout...worst prepared...
Best dressed, worst dressed, ugliest...
Worst tires etc etc.
More like that.
Time wont count....style awards for all of it...you can get your time awards from the region guys...

I would like to make the car show a member voting type thing so we dont need judges...just count them at the bar later on...awards at the bar maybe...dunno

I think we should not only plan for rain but make rain a fun part of the autox.....roof off swim suit racing...stuff like that.
We need to show the regional PCA guys how to have a blast..

Rich
Dr Evil
I am liking your ideas smile.gif smilie_pokal.gif I am talking with my resident 914 parts and car hoarder and seeing what will be best. The main problem I see is that we will be assed out for local (very close) hotels, but the one I mentioned in Grantville is nice and would likely do. I will see about stopping there tomorrow smile.gif I'll do what I can.
rmital
QUOTE(r_towle @ Jan 7 2009, 10:53 PM) *

We need award catagories for both the car show/corral on Saturday
Funny awards...

avoiding any normal awards...good idea:

Best Shitbox/Beater/Commuter Car
Best use of Porsche Crest
Most Likely to See in the new "Fast and Furious Movie"
Best YELLOW Car
Best Repeated use of the word Porsche
Most Likely to see a Clown Drive
Most Likely to be in a ZZ Top Video
"Mom Says it's Clean Enough to Eat Off Of"

....to be continued
r_towle
Awesome...I laughed for the first time in weeks.

I know my vote for the clown car...he will be there.
You have both seen the car..lol

I have a few...
Most mice found inside
scary tires
Worst parking job
Closest to the ground
Most visible rust

Dr Evil
Longest distance traveled - trophy is an autographed hemorrhoid doughnut

- Longest time off of jack stands (and running)
- Best cup holder
- Largest driver
- Biggest POS
r_towle
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jan 9 2009, 12:38 AM) *

Longest distance traveled - trophy is an autographed hemorrhoid doughnut

- Longest time off of jack stands (and running)
- Best cup holder
- Largest driver
- Biggest POS

Largest driver (I cant believe you fit in a 914)
- Biggest POS (best Beater) I think, dunno.

Biggest wing.

I think we should have the same number of catagories as we have entries...
The PCA guys are not to pleased about allowing us to have our own award deal..but we are after all the 914 community so fuckem...
We will do it on the sly.

We should have stickers that people put on there cars....little itty bitty ones on the windshield with a number...that way we wont get caught.

Because we are all CSOB's we would do our deal out in the big parking lot if they object to much...I am still negotiating...they seem pretty reasonable.

Rich

r_towle
On a more serious note.

I would like this to be a 914 community event. No banners from either club/world site...We can make up our own banner if we want.
Appropriately it should be on cardboard made with a sharpy on the spot...but I digress.

I think its important to talk about this as a community event and not an exclusive World event in all our threads etc. What do you guys think?

We have alot of east coast newbies on the club site that do not hang here...and visa versa. Its published on both sites. I hate the "us versus them" crap and I would like to rise above that nonsense and have a fun event. I feel pretty strongly about this. Now you know where I stand.

Please share your thoughts on this idea. I am a big boy with an open mind. I am not asking for any support from either entity by design.
If both would like to have a banner, that would be cool.

I think, given my sarcastic nature, we could make fun of it...have two tents side by side, one with each banner...two of all sorts of crap to make it appear as stupid as it is.

Rich
rmital
I think we could do better than a sharpy on cardboard....I have a 36" color plotter, I'm sure in the next few months we could come up with a nice paper banner (that will probably last a couple hours in the wind and rain) designed to commemorate the mid-engine gathering.

Chris' get-together/barbeque this past September had no board/site affiliations and it seemed to go well. Websites were never discussed. confused24.gif

I can't really speak for Brad, but he did seem interested in contributing something for the 914ers. Sounded cool, but if it's going to be distracting or cause aggrevation, I'd pass.
....I don't get out much without 2 kids and wife attached to my ass....so I'd prefer to just enjoy my time minus the stupidity (not refering to my family) huh.gif

I absolutely agree with no us vs. them stuff...but then again, I'd have more success trying to control the weather.

There are a bunch of newbies I've contacted in this general area, helped them purchase their first 914, had mini-wrenching sessions.....whatever. Like Rich, I'd rather meet up with them, make our 4 hour drive, arrive and have a good time. But that really needs not be said...

rick 918-S
Hey all! Rich let me in here! If I get too annoying you can boot me out. I have thick skin.

As I posted in the contact thread here:

I'm not from either coast, but if I can help let em know. I'm a good cheerleader. I have been able to get people involved and interested in attending past events. I've been involved in past planning events. I've done trophies for the WCC 04. Much beyond that cheer.gif I won't wear a mini school girl skirt though sorry, I have ugly white guy legs. laugh.gif

My 2 cents:

Great Event Name! beerchug.gif It does not exclude us wasser pumpers aktion035.gif

1) You now have a date. Good!
2) You have a great event name.
3) This event needs a logo. Anyone have graphic skillz?

Let me expand on 3, All associated event stuff should carry the logo and theme.
Shirts, banners, lanyards, plaques, whatever, etc. People like that stuff and collect it. It gives the event an identity

4) You have a basic outline for the weekend. Things have been kept to a minimum. Simple is smart and do-able in a short planning cycle.

The key items need to be firmed up ASAP. Costs need to be developed and a budget needs to be defined. I'm not speaking to event costs but participant out of pocket costs. ie: Hotel costs, the cost to get in the gate at Hershey, (if there is one confused24.gif never been there) the cost for the AX, parking, Tolls,

Then there will be event costs. There may be costs to the evetn planners like the four spaces for the pop ups or what ever you call them, Shirts, trophies, There will be event costs eventually. It sounds like in past East Coast Events money was raised via raffle and entry fees. I suggest pre-registration with a cut off date.

When Jeff Bowlsby was in charge of set up the WCC 04 event, we decided to have a pre-registration. All entry forms, maps, etc, were placed online and instructions were placed on a web site for attendees to price from their home printers. The forms and maps were PDF's. This saved the cost of one personal printing and mailing stuff out.

5) There needs to be a strong team of locals to keep track on out of towners. When we attended the WCC 04 there were lead cars and follow up cars for the cruises. There was a large field of cars. They were broken up in like 4 run groups I think. When you cruising in a strange place with no real sense of direction and distance it's easy to get lost. Good clear maps or travel routes on the event web site will help if people remember to print them.

That's enough from me for now.

Oh except I was thinking. You guys were talking about all the rain. What about wind breakers instead of T-Shirts? Or both just incase it's nice?

So, Can I get a Welcome? :smiley:
rmital
first shot at a logo...need to modify at work where I have better programs.

I'll create an image later and post.
rick 918-S
QUOTE(rmital @ Jan 10 2009, 06:59 PM) *

Cool! I don't have those skillz. confused24.gif
rick 918-S
Thinking ahead, Anyone have web page skillz? We need to be able to develop an event web site with an itinerary, hotel contact info, PDF application and maps of the area, Routes for any planned cruises, AX location, cost and time etc.

My son has done some web site design. I would ask him to do it if we need him.
rick 918-S
Also, I see Club has this event nailed. I think we can get an event specific (Mid-Engine Invasion) blue banner here once we have a few more details locked down. It looks like the ECC and the MEI are mixed up in the same banner post.
Dr Evil
Welcome.
rmital
QUOTE(rmital @ Jan 10 2009, 09:59 PM) *

Like I mentioned, this is preliminary...please give me opinions on what you'd like to see changed or added. Again doing this remotely from home, so will be able to do more this week at work.
rick 918-S
QUOTE(rmital @ Jan 11 2009, 07:17 AM) *

QUOTE(rmital @ Jan 10 2009, 09:59 PM) *

Like I mentioned, this is preliminary...please give me opinions on what you'd like to see changed or added. Again doing this remotely from home, so will be able to do more this week at work.

Nice start! How about a row of 914's three wide trailing back like a snake. Like an invasion of 914's? I have no skillz just lots of ideas.
VaccaRabite
I'm also working on a logo, but it is not done yet. Too much other crap getting in the way.
r_towle
Jim Hoyland is sending me a proof of the nametags with lanyards.
He is proposing a pic of the car/person on each tag...
Lets see what he comes up with...He said he stole one of your logos...not sure who's but whatever one he can get to on the main site.

He is also keeping track of all the people that are saying they are going...nice to have someone counting ...

Rick, ask your son...I suppose we could ask about a web page hosted somewhere...I will see what I can put together.

Rich
rick 918-S
I'll work on my son today. Maybe we can get a Go Daddy "midengineinvasion.com" site for $ 10.00 bucks?

rick 918-S
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Jan 13 2009, 07:25 AM) *

I'll work on my son today. Maybe we can get a Go Daddy "midengineinvasion.com" site for $ 10.00 bucks?

I just talked to my son. My son is the photo shop guy. He refered me to one of his friends (Forrest). Forrest attended the WCC 04 with us. He's a great kid! Oh, young man now... He now works at a web site development place. I'm hoping pull some strings.
I think we should still have an external site remote from the place Forrest works at. If we get a Go Daddy site, In the future anyone with skills could up date the site for future events. If Forrest develops a site on his companies server and gets a new job the site will become in-accessible.

I'll let you know what I find out.
r_towle
Sounds like a plan Rick.

Here is the proof from Jim Hoyland.
We need to get this part going, so lets close in on this.

Rich
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.