Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: npc: odd
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
TimT
Just looking around finding out things about my F250 Powerstoke diesel

was just in the shop for 2 days for a 4 hour job......

one of the recalls was to reflash the ecu..... because it had a virus???
at least that what the service manager told me...

The Power Stroke Diesel is designed to last for 250,000 miles, more than twice the life expectancy of comparable gas engines. That translates to great resale value for Ford F-Series Super Duty owners.

so they only expect the gas engine to last 100,000 miles I sol dmy mountaineer with 190,000 on the clock and it pulled strong and burned no oil...

marketing.......... go figure..
URY914
I put 210,000 on my old 350 Chevy gas burner.
Them Fords just don't last... wink.gif

Paul
iiibdsiil
I have a link somewhere of some like 1978 Chevy Caprice that has over 500,000 on it.

I wish I could find it.

- Brett Smith

P.S. My other car is a Chevy. And my 944 will soon be Chevy powered.
GWN7
My dad had a 65 Chev Belair 230 ci that had 330,000 miles on it when we lost track of it. Changing the oil every 1000 miles makes them last.
markb
There's a VW Rabbitt that comes in the shop that has over 500K on it. Looks like trash but runs great.
jonwatts
QUOTE(TimT @ Feb 17 2004, 08:02 PM)
so they only expect the gas engine to last 100,000 miles I sol dmy mountaineer with 190,000 on the clock and it pulled strong and burned no oil...

marketing.......... go figure..

Ain't it cool when companies get so big they can have separate marketing departments competing with each other!?!?!

Oh, and if you're not into changing your oil every 1000 miles here's the other extreme... Mobil 1 Oil Life
Brad Roberts
My 2000 Crew cab has 112k on it. I have changed: the tires one time:the serpentine belt one time:changed the tranny fluid/filter one time:changed the brake pads twice:changed the plugs one time. Mobil1 oil changes every 6k miles. The tranny fluid looked fine.. I personally thought it was time (only because I pull trailers all over the USA with it.) I'm amazed. Everybody I know with Fords (with less miles) have replaced water pumps/alternators/belts/hoses/ball joints/radiators...blah blah.. I feel pretty lucky. I love my Crewcab.

B
Jeff Bonanno
ok so it was pre-Djet...
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(TimT @ Feb 17 2004, 08:02 PM)
...one of the recalls was to reflash the ecu..... because it had a virus???
at least that what the service manager told me...

'virus' i'm not believing. 'bug' i could believe.
reflashing ECU maps happens all the time, for a vaariety of reasons. sometimes early cars develop driveability or economy issues in parts of the operating envelope that the factory engineers and tuners can correct.

sometimes (this is pretty prevalent in the VW-Audi turbo circles) the service department will reflash a 'chipped' ECU that comes in with problems - they take out the 'unknown' stuff and replace it with 'factory' parts they're prepared to deal with. i don't think the mere presence of a "performance tuner" ship program will void a VW-Audi warranty, but there is the presumption that it was done to achieve higher boost levels and that -will- void the warranty...

ECU mapping is part engineering, part black art. it's unsurprising minor changes occur from time to time.
mike_the_man
I had an '83 Volvo 240 turbo and the odometer had over 500,000km on it, but the odometer had stopped working. I can only guess how many km's were on it, but probably well over 500,000. It burned a bit of oil, but ran great, pulled pretty strong. I loved that car.
MJHanna
I'm guessing you have a 6.0 vs the 7.3 motor??? They have had a lot of problems with the 6.0.s, Ford even bought back a bunch of the early ones.
TimT
Yea I have the 6.0 the thing is amazingly powerful has some teething problems I guess...

The service manager told me that some code was installed by a digruntled international or ford engineer.....There is a recall to relflash the ecu due to low power and rough idle...

One day it just happened, started the truck... no power, rough idle.. like a switch was thrown... or a plug wire was pulled ( no plug wires though) the service manager told me at X miles this is happening... sounds like a stretch though..

Im constantly reflashing (adjusting ) the maps on the Haltechs and TEC's we have in the race cars..
davep
Well, those 500,000 cars have nothing on this one

http://www.car-data.com/xpage.preview/pre....rv&model=gordon
Britain Smith
Well...my teener has 195K on it. Still drives like a champ.

-Britain
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.