Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Frozen engine
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
r_towle
OK,
I am down to the core motor, a 2.0 liter.

I still cannot turn the crank with a loooonnngggg wrench.

I assume since this was field stored in the North East for over ten years that we have a rust issue here.

I know you CA guys are not used to this.

My question is this...How would one go about freeing up the pistons from the cylinders if in fact that is where it has a rust problem???

Is there a special tool out there, kinda like a gear puller, but larger that will pull the cylinder off the piston???

Once that is done, the rest will come apart even if there is rust...

Rich
SirAndy
if it's frozen (rusted) you don't want to move it !!!!

the rust will cause scratches in the cylinders.

remove the heads, if the pistons/cylinders are rusted,
try using rust-removing spray (don't know US brand names)
try to loosen it ...

split the case and "carefully" move the cylinders off the pistons ...

Andy
bernbomb914
WD 40 the cyls, let soak, then apply heat and pray.

Bernie flag.gif
Dave_Darling
Marvel Mystery Oil, Kroyl, or Liquid Wrench.

For physically moving the stuck pistons, a "dead-blow hammer" (plastic faced, maybe copper but that might be too hard?) can help knock them loose.

--DD
tracks914
I agree with Andy, split the case first, to avoid damaging the crank and remove the rods, pistons and cylinders as one. Then let the piston rings soak in Liquid wrench. Use a piece of ABS pipe or wood or something softer than aluminun but close to the diameter of the piston and tap the pistons from the top to loosen them.
Chances are, if the rust has been there awhile, the cylinders will be pitted right where the rings are now and will have to be oversized to clean them up properly.
If it is the crank that is siezed, you will find this out when you disconnect the rods.
Just hope.
MarkV
If all 4 pistons are seized in their cylinders you won't able to split the case. One bank of cylinders/pistons will have to free to get the case apart.

Pull the heads & use some penetrating oil & heat to get the cylinders free from the pistons. Chances are you will not be able to use the pistons & cylinders over again anyway. smash.gif
tracks914
QUOTE(MarkV @ Mar 28 2003, 06:39 PM)
If all 4 pistons are seized in their cylinders you won't able to split the case. One bank of cylinders/pistons will have to free to get the case apart.

Good point, what was I thinking blink.gif

Spent too many years working on V8's I guess.
Aaron Cox
SAWZALL!!!!!!!!!!! tongue.gif
nah....split the case and buy some new pistons and cylinders!...good luck
MarkV
Spent too many years working on V8's I guess

Something to be said about those V8's

Still catch myself turning the radio down when sitting at a light, so I can hear the sound of the idling Camaro next to me. Kinda sounds like someone shaking a coffee can full of rocks. boldblue.gif
tracks914
QUOTE(MarkV @ Mar 28 2003, 07:00 PM)

Something to be said about those V8's

Mine were in stock cars...no exhaust, no radio, but what a rumble. driving.gif
r_towle
Thanx guys...
I did not want to be a wise ass, but when I read split the case and then take off the piston and sylinders....I think WTF...That wont be possible unless I use a really big hammer and split the case into really small pieces...

Not what I wanted to do...

If I cannot get it to budge without alot of effort, I will submerge the entire thing in some rust remover for a week or so,,,It worked on a very rusted set of brake calipers, so It should work here, just need 1/2 of a 55 gallon drum filled up with the stuff and dunk the whole unit...

Will definetely take a pic to share here if it comes to that...will be a first...

Rich
SirAndy
yes, when i said "then split the case" i assumed you knew that i meant "after you succeeded in getting the pistons to move (at least a bit)" ... in any case, it sounds like you'll need some smash.gif smash.gif smash.gif smash.gif smash.gif
r_towle
I have BTDT before with Type 1 engines, just hoping someone might have invented a nicer tool for the process ....
hint hint hint...

rich
Mark Henry
If you are trying to save the heads and they won't come off take the whole engine to a farm equipment repair shop. Remove the rocker arms and then tread a plug adaptor into both sides of the head. Undo the head bolts, hook the head up to a hydraulic power pack and apply pressure, pop they're off.

I've never tried it before but if you did this to the 2 high pistons it "might spin" and move the pistons.

I have removed stuck cylinders before using a BFH smash.gif hit them in a downward glancing motion. Yep, they'll be fucked for sure, fins braking and even splitting the jug, but they will come off.

Before you do any of this let everything soak in p-oil for as long as you can.

Have fun!!! pain30.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.