Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Time to open the transmission?Updated, now with Pics
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Challe
I have som noise from the trans when I use the 4th and 5th gear, the sound reminds of the sound from the reverse gear but not so loud. It's a -73 side shifter and the trans works really good and is really silent on 1th, 2nd and 3rd gear. The sound doesn't get loader with higher rpm but gets louder with the load.

And yes, the trans had low oil level when I bought the car, my guess is that one of the bearings is hurted because of the low oil level....

Anyone who can make a qualified guess on if it's time to fix it or if its safe to use the trans for a time....
mudfoot76
When was the last time that you changed the transmission fluid? Does the drain plug have much metal shards stuck to it? Use the Search function to learn about flushing out the transmission.
toon1
Send a PM to Dr eveil.

trannies are not that difficult, you need to be meathodical, theres alot of shims that need to go back the right way.

There are some good how to's in the classics.
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(mudfoot76 @ Jan 9 2009, 05:36 AM) *

When was the last time that you changed the transmission fluid? Does the drain plug have much metal shards stuck to it? Use the Search function to learn about flushing out the transmission.

Changing the fluid, per se, has no beneficial effect, and "flushing the trans" is a waste of time. There's a magnet on the drain plug, and it will have all the shavings, flakes, and chips collected. In this case, it sounds like there's damage to the intermediate plate bearings, and a partial teardown is in order. The longer you wait, the more likely it is you'll have a major problem. Reassembly requires some fixtures and other special tools, as well as some degree of care and paying attention to what you're doing. The Cap'n
Dr Evil
Sounds like a bearing in the box. I agree, the longer you wait the worse it is going to be later and the more expensive. If you need help, or want a rebuilt transmission, let me know if I can be of service. I do rebuilds for customers all over the world, and can advise you on how to do it if you choose to do it your self. smile.gif
welcome.png
EdwardBlume
My main bering was cracked but worked just fine. Luckily Dr. Evil saved me during his rebuild session out here in CA last year....
Challe
Thanks for the replies, sounds that I better rebuild the trans.

I have a friend who had rebuilt some 915 transmissions, he can help me out, but Dr Evil, your service is very tempting, I will check up how much the freight cost will be,

Anyone who have the SKF (or is it FAG) number on the two bearings in the intermediate plate?

Thanks again for your help
Challe
Update of the whining trans,

First of all, you really have to excuse my bad english, I live in sweden and here we talk swedish, a language that in fact sound like the swedish chef in the muppet show...

I wanted to send my trans to Doctor Evil but the shipping costs was 300-400$ from sweden so I that was not an option in the end. This sunday, I was really bored, so I spended a day in the garage, I had to fix up the vaccumlines to the engine and change some gaslines to the gasfilter, I quickly realised thet everything should be easier if the engine was out of the car.....(I know, bad idea)

And when the engine was out, It would be nice to clean up some mess in in the enginroom.....

IPB Image

Chop, chop... and 500 profanities later over the CV-bolts (I will change them all this time, I hade 3 different types right now)

IPB Image

What the heck, as the engine is out now, It would be a perfect time to fix the whining on the 4th and 5th gear... and when Im in the trans it would be a quick fix to change the syncrings for the 1st and 2nd...

IPB Image

First "surprise", really bad dogteeth on the 1st, the slider was good tough..

IPB Image

The PO had at some point (He did tell me when I bought the car) driven the car with to little oil in the trans so I suspected that some bearings was bad, and that was the reason to the whining on the 4th and 5th...but the bearings looked ok at the first sight, unfortunaly I found something worse...

The ring gear and the pinion shaft looked really bad.....

IPB Image

And the ring gear was not far behind in the beauty contest....

IPB Image

To shims the ring gear is far above my knowledge so I have will leave it to someone in my area who knows what to do...

I will take a better look on the bearings, I can't understand why the whining only occurs on the 4th and 5th, the damage on the pinion looks worse on the pics so maybe the whining is created somewhere else...

I'm thankfull if someone has a second opinion on this...
Dr Evil
Yikes, those ring and pinion look very bad. A whine in 4-5 would be expected in that the ring and pinion are moving at their fastest. I PMed you with some options, we will get this resolved so you will be back on the road smile.gif
So.Cal.914
As a new Doctor, Dr Evil has odd hours at times. I am sure he will be along to give you a professional opinion...But until then:

First of all, you really have to excuse my bad english, I live in sweden and here we talk swedish, a language that in fact sound like the swedish chef in the muppet show...

Your english is fine, no apologies needed. And I am so glad to see you have a sense of humor.

Yes the lash on the ring & pinion needs to be correct. If your friend has done a few 915's you guys shound be able to do it yourselves. I am sure the Doc can give you some pointers to get you through.

I am almost positive that the ring and pinion are the same in the tail shifters and they give those away here. Maybe you can get the parts you need used from an old box.

EDIT: Nevermind.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Challe @ Mar 30 2009, 11:19 PM) *

Funny you say that. I spent some time in Denmark and they always used to say that the swedish sound like they speak with a hot potatoe in their mounth.
Then i went to work in Stockholm for a few months and the danish were right! biggrin.gif

Anyways, in your picture above, it looks like someone welded on your heat exchanger.
That is pretty dangerous. If they burned through the actual pipe, you can get exhaust gases into the cabin. Instant CO poisoning! icon8.gif

shades.gif Andy
r_towle
I have a ring gear and a pinion shaft if you need them.

My wife and my inlaws are swedish...they speak it all the time when they are talking about stuff they dont want me to understand.

Rich
MDG
First off, your English is great! And good luck with the transmission.

But, really, listen to what Andy mentioned on the HEs. It's hard to tell from the pics but obviously there has been some repairs done. Make a thorough check of those areas; CO entering the cabin is a potential death sentence.

m.
Bleyseng
yep, replace the ring and pinion along with the bearings as the low oil level toasted all those parts..

I have a extra ring and pinion laying around if ya need it. Get the bearings from Dr Evil as he has a cheaper source last I heard.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.