Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Random Questions..
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914ghost
Okay I have a few questions, maybe a few other people wonder too.
1) how do you keep your courtesy light stuck in the backpad?
Mine wont snap in, its aftermarket (VW) of course, but the original was pretty much the same, but busted.
2) The center defrost vent does about nothing in my car, whats the deal? Is hot or cold supposed to come out of it?
3) How much does a 911 engine weigh, say a complete 2.7 with everything on it?
So I can figure the HP/weight increase advantage/disadvantage of going with a /6 .
4) Is the BMW brake upgrade enough to stop a 180 HP 914/6 . .?
Or is the 911 stuff the BEST way to go?

I have more, but I'll ask some other time..
TIA
Bob O
Brad Roberts
1.The backpad has two metal strips riveted to the cardboard.. yours are probably missing. The light snaps over these metal strips. You have to yank the backpad out of the car to see if they are still in place... if they are not.. then you can rivet some in. Sometimes they get bent out of the way and the light never contacts them. In this case.. bend them back.

2. Dont have a clue.. I dont early tubs.

3. Dont recall. Something like 350lbs.

4. Your stock brakes will stop the car. They just wont do it multiple times from 120mph (neither will the BMW's) 911 vented rotor is the best way.

B
Porsche Rescue
#2 If you mean the vent in the center top of dash on an early (70-71) car it is fresh air only. Should open with the "blue" lever.
Bleyseng
IIRC the difference between a 4 and 6 is about 100lbs.
Sammy
According to the factory shop manuals, a 2.7 six out of a US carrera weighs 402 lbs.

A 3.0 liter is about 10 lbs. heavier.

Brakes have nothing to do with horsepower.
Braking ability has to do with the velocity the vehicle is traveling (top speed) and the mass (weight) and the available traction (tires), and heat dissipation.

If the stock brakes will stop a 4 cylinder car, they will stop a 6 cylinder car just as well unless the top speed is increased a bunch. The additional weight of the 6 isn't enough to make that much difference. Less that having a passenger in the car.

Like Brad said a bunch of times, in perfect condition the stock 914 brakes work very well. The limitation is the non-vented rotors (and the tires).
The non-vented rotors don't dissipate heat all that great so repeated threashold braking will cause overheating and fading.
Stock rotors with the BMW caliper upgrade with increase the clamping ability making it easier to lock up the brakes (little benefit AFAIK) but they will also generate more heat and make the fading worse.
If you are going to be using them hard for a prolonged period of time you need vented rotors (911).
If you are just going to be using them for normal street driving just make sure the stock brakes are performing as they were designed.

IMO Most people who bad mouth the stock 914 brakes are basing that opinion because of experiences with poorly maintained braking systems.

I've done two BMW caliper upgrades and while the firmer pedal felt better I really don't think they reduced my stopping distances much except for when I removed the prop valve from the rear circuit allowing the rear brakes to operate at a higher pressure.
boxstr
I renmove the backpad and take it apart, seperate the sides from the center. Then I send the center piece over to my upholstery guy and have him fill the light hole and recover it to look like the rest of the backpad.
That is my thought on the backpad light.
Worthless.
CCLINLIGHTUPMYLIFE
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.