Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rebuild hardware
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
MattR
Where can I get this stuff? I got my CV joints, but the bolts need to be replaced. Does anyone have a source for these screws and misc. other screws that are lost in the process of a rebuild? Another, just off the top of my head, is the engine shroud screw that was missing when I got it. And any screws that are questionable I want to replace now so I dont have a headache later.
mightyohm
I'd be interested in this too if a kit is available.
Rgreen914
I got my CV joint gaskets, bolts and washers from Pelican Parts.
DuckRyder
Just don't ask them to look up the tin screws. They'll tell you they don't have time, then Wayne can tell you you are unreasonable.

There really should be some sort of hardware kit for the tin screws. Things are impossible to get out without mangling the heads.
tat2dphreak
I used to have a link to a place... "euro hardware" or something... they had all of the screws and washers and other hardware... but I can't find it now... google maybe?
type47
aren't the engine tin screws simply 6mm screws? they are technically called "cheese head" screws but you can get 6mm hex head, allen head screws to replace them. they also are probably easily available from a VW source, type IV source.
tat2dphreak
as far as tin screws... I got some that worked great at Pep Boys... phillips head instead of flat head...
Dominic
QUOTE(MattR @ Feb 18 2004, 12:01 AM)
Where can I get this stuff? I got my CV joints, but the bolts need to be replaced. Does anyone have a source for these screws and misc. other screws that are lost in the process of a rebuild? Another, just off the top of my head, is the engine shroud screw that was missing when I got it. And any screws that are questionable I want to replace now so I dont have a headache later.

I've got new hardware for sale, Just shoot me an e-mail and I can quote you a price on new 6mm cheese head screws as well as some new C/V bolts.
Dominic
a356b@aol.com
ThinAir
Back when I learned about a/c engines by overhauling my Type 1, the local import parts place had a bag for about $12.00 that had every nut, bolt & washer needed for reassembling the engine (not special things like rod nuts, but everything else). It was wonderful to be able to just use all new stuff and not worry about whether your cheesehead screws had turned to mush. Does anyone offer this kind of package for Type IV engines?
Doug Leggins
I just ordered some suspension hardware from Stoddard. http://www.stoddard.com/parts/parts_catalogs.htm

They didn't have everything that I want/need. The sales rep suggested that I try a VW shop for some of hte items.

I agree - a kit would be great!
Kargeek
Try BFY- they are a VW parts house. The tin screws are common VW parts. I also found some places carry a common metric assortment of bolts, nuts and washers for around 60.00 bucks all in a nice metal organizer. You should save all hardware during a teardown- categorize them in bags or containers.

BFY
Jeffs9146
Autohaus Arizona Has CV parts

Part Description: Drivetrain Nuts, Bolts, Screws, Washers; CV Joint Bolt; 12 Point 8x45mm Hex Brand Name: Febi-Bilstein
Fit & Usage Notes: 6 per joint.

113 501 229CVW Pricing Each List $ 1.87 YOUR Price $ 0.56

Seems like a fair price!!

Jeff
MattR
That place has incredible prices!

Im going to wait a little while before more things are apart and I can get a complete hardware list and possibly order from that place. I just wanted to make sure I wasnt outta luck after realizing the previous owner lost some of the screws. If its OEM stuff, I would assume their screw quality is good.
Jeffs9146
That place has incredible prices!

I have never purchased anything from them but thier prices seem fair!

If its OEM stuff, I would assume their screw quality is good.

OEM is OEM! I don't see why it wouldn't be good!

Jeff
Dave_Darling
I went to "Mister Metric", a local specialty shop. Took one engine-tin screw in, and told them that I wanted 100 of the same thing, but with an Allen head. That huge screwdriver is just too unwieldy to manage in the engine bay...

Cost me something like five bucks for the baggie. Still haven't used them all up, and I lose a bunch of them every time I pull the motor apart...

--DD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.