Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Lookin' for the easy way out!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
East coaster
There probably is no "easy way out", but I was wondering what you all have found for methods of cleaning all the glue crap off of the firewall (engine bay side) after removing the shitty sound barrier material?? I might just bite the bullet and blast it all, but thought maybe you guys have come up with a better way??? Help!
sixerdon
Ten years ago I used Goo Gone which was the best I found at the time. Anything with a citric base. You're in New Jersey, look up Car Care Specialties; www.carcareonline.com. They have a line of Wurth products that will work. Don't blast. You'll regret it.
Don
DNHunt
If there is an easy way I don't know about it. I used acetone, laquer thinner and elbow grease. Needless to say the top coat of paint was toast. Interestingly, the primer was really tough and stayed put. Somebody probably has a better way of doing it than what I did but it's gone and the enginebay is repainted now.

Dave
swood
I used a grinder with the 3M paint remover pad. I simply took it all the way down and cleaned it real well then primed. Looks brand new.
Joe Bob
You could cover it up with a spiffy new sound pad.... idea.gif
East coaster
Sorry Mike.........I wanna hear that 3.6 snarling behind me!!!
Joe Bob
I don't think that will be a problem....just like asbestos ceilings....it's often easier to cover up than to remove.....
415PB
I used Dekote and it came right off. Had to repaint though.
Bleyseng
I used laquer thinner and elbow grease, then lightly sanded it and reshot it with paint. Turned out nice.
Geoff
Kargeek
Try 3M adhesive remover or I found some stuff at a auto detailing supply called Beauty Shine- it’s a nasty remove anything volatile solvent kind of stuff that does not harm paint. It will take soakings to loosen up the old adhesive. The fumes from these solvents are nasty so do this outside. But, face it – whatever you have on there has been on for 30 years so, expect for it to be a tough fight to remove. Dave
Jake Raby
I just cleaned what I could off of mine- The line x went on at 200 degrees right over it.. can't even tell!
East coaster
Jake, I just had my truck bed done with line-x, great stuff! Are you going to leave it black or paint over it??
seanery
I went to LineX last year, everyone here made fun of me, and the LineX guy didn't want to do it. confused24.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.