Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Pops on decelleration...?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
carcam
914-6, mostly stock, runs perfectly on the gas. When lifting off it pops a little, sometimes, not every time. When going down hill with no pedal, no gas, it pops like crazy, almost like a backfire. New plugs, wires, points, etc. Timing seems OK, valves adjusted exactly...what else could it be? It's probably something simple I'm not thinking of or maybe something major? Appreciate any insight- thanks.
KaptKaos
Air leaks around the intake or exhaust.
cwpeden
My vote is for intake leak.
carcam
QUOTE(cwpeden @ Jan 10 2009, 10:20 PM) *

Just had Webers rebuilt with all new gaskets but I'll double check everything. Thanks.
r_towle
QUOTE(carcam @ Jan 10 2009, 10:34 PM) *

Just had Webers rebuilt with all new gaskets but I'll double check everything. Thanks.

May not have them tightened down to the manifold.
Go re-tighten all the bolts that were off for the rebuild.

Rich
carcam
QUOTE(r_towle @ Jan 10 2009, 10:42 PM) *

QUOTE(carcam @ Jan 10 2009, 10:34 PM) *

May not have them tightened down to the manifold.
Go re-tighten all the bolts that were off for the rebuild.

Rich

Another project for tomorrow- can't wait! thanks
proto31
My vote is for the carbs being too lean. Richen up the fuel mixture...
NORD

I was infested with motor popping on decel, checked all elect, valves,even

adjusted valves over and over they were always good. Checked for vac.

leaks all OK. I found my carb linkage was closing down one bank of motor

1st and they were not adjusted perfectly. I have a 4 but look at this on

your motor, linkage adjustment solved my problem

driving.gif
carcam
Can't wait to try all these remedies- after years of new cars, it's really fun to have an old car with an assortment of maladies waiting to be fixed. As soon as i can get out to the garage, I'll get back---
SGB
I vote for the rich mixture and/or exhaust leak...
Lavanaut
I had the same exact symptoms on my /4, it was an exhaust leak. That's an easy one to check for too...start your car, block/cover the tail pipe, listen for hissing. If you don't hear anything and your engine stalls you can probably cross it off the list. smile.gif

In my case, one of my heat exchangers was damaged inside the clamshell. Given what HEs for a /6 cost, if you can even find a set, I hope that's not the case for you!
carcam
More things to check- thanks! Can't get to it until Friday- too many root canals to do...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.