Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SB Chevy 180 degree headers
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dkjens
I'm working away on my '73 914 with a 283 SB Chevy. A friend of mine is building a replica GT40 from a 914, so I've been seeing quite a bit of GT40 youtube video. I am getting closer and closer to also just go ahead and "open up" the trunk floor and make the whole engine/tranny compartment open. If I do that, I would love to install a set og 180 degree headers on a Chevy, much like on the GT40. Not only is the sound fantasitc, but the scavenging and breathing advantages are great.

So, does anybody have any leads to anybody who may make or have made headers like this, I'd love to investigate further, or is it a project I'll have to take up myself?
quadracerx
Headers are without question one of the hardest parts of any engine swap or project....having said that...it is not impossible to do from a kit...but if your not bald already...you will be by the time your headers are completed.... mad.gif The job is even more difficult if you want a 180 degree design....

If you believe me and want someone to build them for you....contact some of the street rod or race car chassis builders in your area...they can or know someone who can build them for you.....another thought is locate someone that specializes in custom turbo installations.....Last time I had a custom made set done it was approx. $ 1100.00 but that was a few years ago...

Good Luck....

Quad...
jimkelly
you know about

http://www.renegadehybrids.com/

300hp - don't need no benefits - just a right foot on the gas : ))
jmmotorsports
QUOTE(dkjens @ Jan 11 2009, 02:46 PM) *

I'm working away on my '73 914 with a 283 SB Chevy. A friend of mine is building a replica GT40 from a 914, so I've been seeing quite a bit of GT40 youtube video. I am getting closer and closer to also just go ahead and "open up" the trunk floor and make the whole engine/tranny compartment open. If I do that, I would love to install a set og 180 degree headers on a Chevy, much like on the GT40. Not only is the sound fantasitc, but the scavenging and breathing advantages are great.

So, does anybody have any leads to anybody who may make or have made headers like this, I'd love to investigate further, or is it a project I'll have to take up myself?

Try R-C-R.com they build Lola T70 replicas. Should have the headers you want.

Jerry
messix
check these out http://www.howeracing.com/Exhaust/Index-180Degree.htm
andys
Terry Stewart installed Schoenfeld 180 degree headers on his SBC conversion.

Andys
dkjens
Jim Kelly,
I know I can easily make a 500HP SB Chevy, but the headers have benefits and they make your car sound so much better.

Jerry,
Just looked there, and they do not have 180 degree headers on the Lola.

Troy,
The Howe headers look interesting, I'll contact them and see if I can get more photos and diagrams and...............price.

Andys,
I'll do a search and see what I can find Schoenfeld 180 degree headers, thanks. - Just looked at Schoenfeld hey, these 180s are very affordable, do you know which model Terry Stewart used and (I assume) it was in a 914. None of the headers are the regular "bundle of snakes" as I'm really looking for.

I just got a lead on a Chevy 302 crank at a decent price. If I get that, I'll pick up a 400SB block and make a 327 3" stroke 4-1/8" bore SB Chevy, radical cam, good compression, good rods and pistons, aluminum heads, and she should be good for 500HP and 8,000 rpm, and a hoot to drive. Also got a lead on an LS-1 complete with computer for around $3,000, what do you think?
messix
ls-1 all the much more advanced in all respects. = more hp, better manners and better mpg.
messix
looking to make it sound like this are you...http://www.tremek.com/forum/gm-videos/39204-vette-180-degree-headers.html
dkjens
Troy,
YES, that is how a V-8 should sound like, maybe less mufflers, like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BMJgWMCrcU
messix
you'll go deaf driving around in some thing like that ..... what ... ok thats why i can't hear shit any more slap.gif
Todd Enlund
QUOTE(messix @ Jan 11 2009, 08:23 PM) *

looking to make it sound like this are you...http://www.tremek.com/forum/gm-videos/39204-vette-180-degree-headers.html

That's sick! Worth all the trouble... plus the boost in power and torque is a nice bonus.
TC 914-8
QUOTE(dkjens @ Jan 11 2009, 08:33 PM) *

Troy,
YES, that is how a V-8 should sound like, maybe less mufflers, like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BMJgWMCrcU

Ooh, That does sound nice, Now not being too much of a Newbe, confused24.gif what is the definition of a 180deg header.
Todd Enlund
QUOTE(TC 914-8 @ Jan 11 2009, 10:51 PM) *

Troy,

Ooh, That does sound nice, Now not being too much of a Newbe, confused24.gif what is the definition of a 180deg header.

On a 180° header, the primaries are arranged so that they are 180° from each other, and help scavenge the exhaust. This involves running primaries from one bank of cylinders to the other, resulting in a "bundle of snakes". Very complicated, but as your heard, they sound great and dramatically improve scavenging and efficiency.
sixnotfour
Terry Stewart installed Schoenfeld 180 degree headers on his SBC conversion.

any more info?
TC 914-8
QUOTE(Todd Enlund @ Jan 11 2009, 11:01 PM) *

QUOTE(TC 914-8 @ Jan 11 2009, 10:51 PM) *

Troy,

On a 180° header, the primaries are arranged so that they are 180° from each other, and help scavenge the exhaust. This involves running primaries from one bank of cylinders to the other, resulting in a "bundle of snakes". Very complicated, but as your heard, they sound great and dramatically improve scavenging and efficiency.

Ah Yes, I have seen the "bundle of Snakes" on the Ford GT superformance car, and factory original. And now I see the picture I see how they cross over the ports to the collectors.

How the hell did they do it in the Vett?
dkjens
I saw i photo of a set of 180 degree headers some years ago where they ran the "cross over" primaries under the oil pan. The Vette probably has something like that.
neo914-6
Look at my posts for Chris Julian. He ran them on his AIR 914 after speaking to Terry. I'm not sure if they were the same...

Here's some pics:
sixnotfour
piratenanner.gif
andys
It looks like Chris Julian took the top set of pipes, cut, and filpped them over so the collector points left; nice job. Terry simply ran both collectors down and to the rear on the right side of the car.

Andys

byndbad914
For a broader search, understand that many NASCAR cars run 180s, hence why they all run over to the right and collect on the right (a Late Model for instance has engine in the front, no passenger seat, that is where we route all the exhaust and exit out the right side).

So you can look for anyone making headers for circle track guys and find plenty of 180 offerings. Schoenfeld is both fine and cheap. I have his Sprint car headers on my car (not 180s).

If you want a centered coupling and outlet like a GT-40, that's gonna be custom. I am considering building myself a set if I turbo my car (will 180 into one big inlet for the turbo) then center exit a 4" single pipe.
charliew
I don't know what the application is but Speedway has them pretty cheap if I remember and a lot of other neat stuff you can use on a hot rod. They also have a stud that might correct bump steer on a lowered car without moving the rack. It's for heim ends if I remember.

www.speedwaymotors.com
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.