Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Finely received my first 914, needs all rubber seals.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tag
AutoAtlanta wants $850 for a COMPLETE RUBBER seal KIT. Is this high? I just received my car today and just about all the rubber is bad or damaged. Let me just give you the run down on this 1976 car I bought from Elswick:
1. Motor seems strong, doesn't smoke or leak and it is a 2.0.
2. Windshield needs replacing (he told me before i purchased)
3. Back glass is loose (he told me before i purchased)
4. The only key that works is the ignition.
5. Wrecked on the driver side front (I wasn't told about this!) crappy bondo work to boot!
6. Missing horn button? How much are these? $250 AutoAtlanta
7. Parking brake handle busted (he told me before i purchased but didn't tell me it was due to rust!
headbang.gif

Oh well I guess that's what you get sight unseen I will just have to make the car correct but it may take a couple years. I'm going to check the hell hole this week end, i did a quick visual but there is debris covering the metal so i will need to clean this first.
SirAndy
QUOTE(tag @ Jan 12 2009, 05:29 PM) *

Is this high?

No ...

shades.gif Andy

PS: welcome.png
736conver
AutoAtlanta wants $850 for a COMPLETE RUBBER seal KIT. Is this high?

Check the resource page we have a guy in there selling alot of the seals.

2. Windshield needs replacing (he told me before i purchased)

About 300-400 for a new one. Good time to replace the anodized trim with the rubber seal. Also in the resource section

Back glass is loose (he told me before i purchased)

Easy fix with some butyl tape or glass urethane sealer

6. Missing horn button? How much are these? $250 AutoAtlanta

Post a wanted ad in the classifieds. $250 is too much

i did a quick visual but there is debris covering the metal so i will need to clean this first.

Hopefully that isnt fiberglass covering a hole.

Goodluck and lots of help found here on the world site.

tag
Thanks, I'll be checking the resources during the week. smile.gif
Gint
QUOTE(tag @ Jan 12 2009, 06:29 PM) *
AutoAtlanta wants $850 for a COMPLETE RUBBER seal KIT. Is this high?

No.
orthobiz
Pics?

Paul
PeeGreen 914
welcome.png aktion035.gif
tag
QUOTE(orthobiz @ Jan 14 2009, 02:23 PM) *

Pics?

Paul

I'll get some pic's but first I need to figure out how to post'm
tag
QUOTE(tag @ Jan 15 2009, 04:02 AM) *

QUOTE(orthobiz @ Jan 14 2009, 02:23 PM) *

Pics?

Paul

I'll get some pic's but first I need to figure out how to post'm

This is where the all the bondo is
Click to view attachment
And
Click to view attachment
I guess the hood doesn't line up because of this
Click to view attachment
Inside of hood... cool isn't it
Click to view attachment
mad.gif
Slick914
I feel for you man. sad.gif

I'll never try to purchase another car sight unseen again, as I was once burned myself. Even when the sellers know you're coming to look at the car in person will "forget" to mention things wrong with the car or describe the car as being much better than it really is. At least most of the sellers I've dealt with were like that. mad.gif

Oh, and the 914's are always "rust free" until you see them. Then when you point out all the rust problems they either get mad at you or say, "I've never noticed that". WTF.gif

There's more pics of his car in the classified ad that was placed... http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...c=90029&hl=
tag
QUOTE(Slick914 @ Jan 15 2009, 12:52 PM) *

I'll never try to purchase another car sight unseen again, as I was once burned myself. Even when the sellers know you're coming to look at the car in person will "forget" to mention things wrong with the car or describe the car as being much better than it really is. At least most of the sellers I've dealt with were like that. mad.gif

Oh, and the 914's are always "rust free" until you see them. Then when you point out all the rust problems they either get mad at you or say, "I've never noticed that". WTF.gif

There's more pics of his car in the classified ad that was placed... http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...c=90029&hl=

If i bought a 1971 doner car would most if not all of the body parts transfer over?
dry.gif
tag
QUOTE(tag @ Jan 15 2009, 07:47 PM) *

If i bought a 1971 doner car would most if not all of the body parts transfer over?
dry.gif

I'll take some more pic's of the inside after i remove the seats and carpet to repair the back glass. I'm almost scared to find out what's lurking underneath the carpet ohmy.gif
I've done a lot of reading and browsing of this web site and other 914 sites and this is by far the best forum out there. I really appreciate the comments, jokes and support that all of the 914world members have been giving to others and me. I'll be here for a very long time thumb3d.gif
Slick914
QUOTE(tag @ Jan 15 2009, 10:47 PM) *

dry.gif

Only thing that I can think of that is different would be how the bumpers mount.
tag
QUOTE(tag @ Jan 15 2009, 08:07 PM) *

QUOTE(tag @ Jan 15 2009, 07:47 PM) *

dry.gif

I'll take some more pic's of the inside after i remove the seats and carpet to repair the back glass. I'm almost scared to find out what's lurking underneath the carpet ohmy.gif
I've done a lot of reading and browsing of this web site and other 914 sites and this is by far the best forum out there. I really appreciate the comments, jokes and support that all of the 914world members have been giving to others and me. I'll be here for a very long time thumb3d.gif

I forgot to ask if a 1971 steering wheel would fit the 1976 column. Thanks
Slick914
I forgot to ask if a 1971 steering wheel would fit the 1976 column.

No, the 71 steering wheel is different. You'll need one from 72 or later.
Dr Evil
71 seats will be different as well. The passenger seat has no mounting bracket and is part of the firewall cushion.
tag
QUOTE(Slick914 @ Jan 15 2009, 08:12 PM) *

QUOTE(tag @ Jan 15 2009, 10:47 PM) *

dry.gif

Only thing that I can think of that is different would be how the bumpers mount.

So I wouldn't be able to mount the bumpers at all? Can it be modified to mount?
tag
QUOTE(Slick914 @ Jan 15 2009, 08:18 PM) *

Would the button (center plastic) mount to the 76' steering wheel? Click to view attachment
tag
QUOTE(tag @ Jan 16 2009, 03:27 AM) *

QUOTE(Slick914 @ Jan 15 2009, 08:18 PM) *

Would the button (center plastic) mount to the 76' steering wheel? Click to view attachment

And what about the door locks? Thanks
tag
I'll be looking at the 1971 donor car today. Can someone answer the questions above. Thanks very much smile.gif
Slick914
The door locks and horn pad will work. I'm sure you can modify the sheet metal to mount the bumpers. Lots of people have mounted the old style chrome bumpers on the 75-76 cars.

What exactly are your plans? You are aware that these panels don't just simply bolt on and off, right?
tag
QUOTE(Slick914 @ Jan 16 2009, 01:16 PM) *

The door locks and horn pad will work. I'm sure you can modify the sheet metal to mount the bumpers. Lots of people have mounted the old style chrome bumpers on the 75-76 cars.

What exactly are your plans? You are aware that these panels don't just simply bolt on and off, right?

The welds need to be drilled out right?
Slick914
Ok, just wanted to be sure you know you're heading towards major surgery. smash.gif welder.gif

Be careful, these 5k cars can become 10k cars in no time. blink.gif

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.