Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: License Plates
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jim_hoyland
I needed a replacement front license plate and wanted one with the correct 1975 color scheme. These guys make plates for nearly any state and period. The size and coloration were exactly the same as my original back plate:

http://www.licenseplates.tv/cat/usa_state_plates_1.html
Rusty
I've heard that they won't ship California plates to California.

But a friend from out of state can buy a California plate... there's nothing stopping someone from doing that.

-Rusty
TravisNeff
Nice, I see that they are embossed (stamped) rather than the new decal style of plates they use now.
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(Rusty @ Jan 13 2009, 11:47 AM) *

But a friend from out of state can buy a California plate... there's nothing stopping someone from doing that.

-Rusty

That is true for California, I had to go that way. Their site also lets you cutomize licenses frames.
70Sixter
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Jan 13 2009, 03:28 PM) *

QUOTE(Rusty @ Jan 13 2009, 11:47 AM) *

-Rusty

That is true for California, I had to go that way. Their site also lets you cutomize licenses frames.

That's odd since CA allows use of old plates. Or at least did when I was there. The old black-on-yellow or later yellow-on-black plates were sought by old cars owners.

Here in NC you can display a plate from you car's year if it is at least 25, maybe 35 years, old and you have a legal, up-to-date plate in the car.

Edit: Guess I shoulda hit the site first. Did not realize they are duplicates, not original.

BTW - I'm looking for 1970 NC plates in very good to excellent condition.
Rusty
That's odd since CA allows use of old plates. Or at least did when I was there. The old black-on-yellow or later yellow-on-black plates were sought by old cars owners.

Here in NC you can display a plate from you car's year if it is at least 25, maybe 35 years, old and you have a legal, up-to-date plate in the car.

Edit: Guess I shoulda hit the site first. Did not realize they are duplicates, not original.

BTW - I'm looking for 1970 NC plates in very good to excellent condition.

You are quite correct sir... but California doesn't allow reproduction plates.

Of course, that the repros are virtually indistinguishable from the originals - I wouldn't know anything about that. Or about ordering sets as "surprise" "novelty gifts" for California friends. rolleyes.gif

-Rusty
Drums66
Seems like it would not matter what the plate style is
as long as your current License # was used...........??
since they are so true to form. Maybe the DMV doesn't
want their hand in their pockets idea.gif Cali
or is it future inmates making Bogus plates????
ericread
There are very specific rules in California for using period correct plates. The plates must be directly relateable to your car. In other words, if you have the exact plates that were on your car in 1974, you can request permission to the DMV to use the 1974 plates. Otherwise, period specific plates are not permitted.

Using a 1974 color scheme on a current license plate number is specifically prohibited.

Using a period correct 1974 plate that does not exactly match the plate number licensed to your car for that year is asking for a citation.... or worse.

Eric Read
Joe Bob
Yellow background plates with black letters can be used IF they were for a car from the years they were issued...they assign them like vanity plates unless you can prove they were on the car before.

Black backgrounds with yellow letters are in the process of being approved like the above. CA DMV calls it the YOM program.

The TV Reeproduction License plates, are aluminum. Reals ones aren't. Otherwise they are virtually indistinguiseable. You would have to remove them from the car and the frame to tell the difference.

ericread
QUOTE(mikez @ Jan 13 2009, 04:50 PM) *

Yellow background plates with black letters can be used IF they were for a car from the years they were issued...they assign them like vanity plates unless you can prove they were on the car before.

Black backgrounds with yellow letters are in the process of being approved like the above. CA DMV calls it the YOM program.

The TV Reeproduction License plates, are aluminum. Reals ones aren't. Otherwise they are virtually indistinguiseable. You would have to remove them from the car and the frame to tell the difference.

The YOM program only allows 1969 or older cars/plates to be re-issued (1972 and older for commercial vehicles). You need the appropriate year sticker (1969 or older) on the plate, and you need both front and rear plates.

Eric Read
Lou W
When I lived in Kalifornia a few years ago, I was told by the DMV that I could not put the original state issued gold on blue plates back on my 1974 Chevrolet Pick-up unless they were personalized plates to begin with. dry.gif
Joe Bob
Sorry Eric, The black plates not until, July 1, 2009.....

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/about/leg/leginfo_vr.htm

Yes, you need both plates, you need the tag. Tags can be bought on eBay. BTDT.

BTW, they also inspect the plates to see if they are real or repros.

You can "probably" get away with vanity plates remade in a different style as long as they are inspected by DMV or the PD.
kconway
QUOTE(ericread @ Jan 13 2009, 05:32 PM) *

QUOTE(mikez @ Jan 13 2009, 04:50 PM) *

The YOM program only allows 1969 or older cars/plates to be re-issued (1972 and older for commercial vehicles). You need the appropriate year sticker (1969 or older) on the plate, and you need both front and rear plates.

Eric Read

No, any plate prior to 1963. Which is why Mike says "yellow background with black lettering.

from the DMV website:
YOM plates are any officially manufactured California license plates issued prior to 1963 that the department determines are legible and serviceable pursuant to California Vehicle Code §5004.1.

ericread
QUOTE(mikez @ Jan 13 2009, 06:02 PM) *

Sorry Eric, The black plates not until, July 1, 2009.....

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/about/leg/leginfo_vr.htm

Yes, you need both plates, you need the tag. Tags can be bought on eBay. BTDT.

I quote:

"Year of Manufacture Plates — Operative July 1, 2009
Amend: Vehicle Code §5004.1 (AB 462 Chapter No. 497)

Extends the Year of Manufacture (YOM) license plate program to include 1969 year model or older passenger vehicles and 1972 or older commercial vehicles.
Increases the original YOM application fee to $45."

1969 or older passenger vehicles...

Eric
Rusty
popcorn[1].gif
kconway
So, help me understand the code here...

You can get a CA blue/yellow plate only if you have one in hand or can you have you newer issued plate changed to year correct blue/yellow plate?
Kev
Rusty
FATHER: Cut that out! Cut that out! Look, you're marrying Princess Lucky, so you'd better get used to the idea! <smack>
Guards! Make sure the Prince doesn't leave this room until I come and get him.
GUARD #1: Not to leave the room even if you come and get him.
GUARD #2: Hic!
FATHER: No, no. Until I come and get him.
GUARD #1: Until you come and get him, we're not to enter the room.
FATHER:
No, no. No. You stay in the room and make sure he doesn't leave.
GUARD #1:
And you'll come and get him.
FATHER: Right.
GUARD #1: We don't need to do anything apart from just stop him entering the room.
FATHER: No, no. Leaving the room.
GUARD #1: Leaving the room. Yes. <sniff>
FATHER: All right?
GUARD #1: Right.
GUARD #1: Oh, if-- if-- if, uhh-- if-- if-- w-- ehh-- i-- if-- if we--
FATHER: Yes? What is it?
GUARD #1: Oh, i-- if-- i-- oh--
FATHER: Look, it's quite simple.
GUARD #1: Uh...
FATHER: You just stay here and make sure 'e doesn't leave the room. All right?
GUARD #1: Oh, I remember. Uhh, can he leave the room with us?
FATHER: N-- no, no. No. You just keep him in here and make sure he--
GUARD #1: Oh, yes. We'll keep him in here, obviously, but if he had to leave and we were with him--
FATHER: No, no, no, no. Just keep him in here--
GUARD #1: Until you or anyone else--
FATHER: No, not anyone else. Just me.
GUARD #1: Just you.
FATHER: Get back.
GUARD #1: Get back.
FATHER: All right?
GUARD #1: Right. We'll stay here until you get back.
FATHER: And, uh, make sure he doesn't leave.
GUARD #1: What?
FATHER: Make sure 'e doesn't leave.
GUARD #1: The Prince?
FATHER: Yes. Make sure 'e doesn't leave.
GUARD #1: Oh, yes, of course.
GUARD #1: Ah. I thought you meant him. You know, it seemed a bit daft me havin' to guard him when he's a guard.
FATHER: Is that clear?
GUARD #1: Oh, quite clear. No problems.
FATHER: Right. Where are you going?
GUARD #1: We're coming with you.
FATHER: No, no. I want you to stay here and make sure 'e doesn't leave.
GUARD #1: Oh, I see. Right.
HERBERT: But Father!
FATHER: Shut your noise, you! And get that suit on! <music> And no singing!
FATHER: Oh, go and get a glass of water.
ericread
QUOTE(kconway @ Jan 13 2009, 06:19 PM) *

So, help me understand the code here...

You can get a CA blue/yellow plate only if you have one in hand or can you have you newer issued plate changed to year correct blue/yellow plate?
Kev

1970 is the year the basic plate was changed to a blue background with yellow characters. It was also the last year any black/yellow plates were issued.

Since it is past the 1969 date for re-issue of historical plates, the only way to use this plate is if the plate has been continuously registered to your 914 since the original date of issue.

However:
Many of the DMV personnel are confused about this issue. So you might just get lucky...

Eric

ericread
Rusty...

We're really trying to keep the kids off drugs... (Friends don't let friends drink and post)

lol3.gif

Eric
scotty
Next stop for Rusty is Castle Anthrax.

...No! To the Shrubber!
Joe Bob
Whatever......
ConeDodger
I have the Blue with Yellow plates that were original to my 240Z. I have held on to them in hopes the YOM gets extended to later cars.
They look like new!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.