Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: RAT 2270 Is Installed
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914rick
Finally got Jake's 2270 installed. Looks awesome. Probably won't have it running for about a week because I'm fabricating an aluminum diamond cut box for the rear trunk to hold the 2 Optima 6v batteries. They will lay on thier side so that I still have clearance for the targa top to mount in the trunk. I think that it is a much cleaner look without the standard battery box. Also waiting on a coil mounting bracket. Also have Chris Foley's header system installed with his new heater box. It really looks great. Next time I go to the shop, I will take a better picture (straight up) of the system. Both of these gentleman could not have been more helpful when called upon for help smilie_pokal.gif .
Sean, you might want to add these two items to your list for the track smilie_flagge24.gif . I see that Jake has one for sale at a good price. I will report back when everything RUMBLES to life.
Rick
914rick
and
seanery
Thanks for the thoughts Rick, but whitey is a stand-in til the race car (-6) comes home.
914rick
and
914rick
and
Jake Raby
Sweet!
Looks like a clean install! Make sure they/ you call me before it fires up the first time.
JmuRiz
Looks cool, now for some numbers, hehe.

Does that Tangerine exit on the wrong (not stock) side? If so, why not the stock side?
914rick
Dyno numbers were 144hp and 161.5 torque. Yes, the exhaust exits the oppisite side. Not sure why but i'm sure Chris could anwser that. I have a glass valance (without notches) and am going to notch the other side.
Jake Raby
It exits on the wrong side.. Works perfectly this way and enables the tranny to be dropped with the header still on the engine- big plus.. I have had to do it on my car several times/
Brad Roberts
Umm Rick. A regular Optima Red top fits in the rear trunk straight up as far as I know. The top fits very tight against the bottom of the trunk lid.

VERY CLEAN install. Looks great.

2270: 144 hp ??

B
Jake Raby
161 lb/ft of torque.... I tune for torque, the rest comes with it...

His combo works AWESOME with stock 901 gearing....

HP is an advertsiement, torque is an erection!

BTW, all my dyno numbers are with full headers and mufflers, pulling the fan and alternator- do the math.
Brad Roberts
I thought maybe his dyno numbers where "chassis dyno" numbers.

So.. this is the "torque cam" I would guess.

Oh.. I noticed you called last night. I couldnt stay awake. The tranny ended up only taking 1.5 hours to pull out. I was passing out in front of the computer around 11:30 after being up since 5:45am.

B
Jake Raby
His engine was outfitted to be very dual purpose. It made its power not so high in the rev range. It is the second most torquey TIV combo taht I have.

Call me today for sure, I'm leaving for Roebling tomorrow. All the parts are in the works and there was some *bad* stuff and some *missing* stuff.
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(JmuRiz @ Feb 18 2004, 02:34 PM)
Does that Tangerine exit on the wrong (not stock) side? If so, why not the stock side?

It definitely exits on the right side, (as opposed to the left side). laugh.gif
The lengths of the pipes make that the only practical layout.

Rick,
That looks great. Glad to see it went together smoothly. Let me know about your experiences with the heat exchanger after you've driven the car.
BGman
OK Rick, you are killin' me......report- report- report-
Blynes
Hey Jake -

Were you at Roebling Road last weekend?

Bill Lynes
Jake Raby
Yes I was at roebling.. Just got home yesterday. what a blast!
914rick
Sorry it has taken sooo long to post an update.
Jake: I drove it for the first time today. What a f...ing NECK SNAPPING MONSTER. That is my first impression and I didn't even get on it very hard. I now have to re-learn how to drive it. It loves to run over 3000 rpm and does'nt seem to want to quit. Awesome power band. 911s, beware.
Chris: The header sounds better then expected. The Quite Can makes it only slightly louder then it was with the Bursh, but MUCH more throatier. And, boy does that sucker flow. While walking behind the car, at idle, it felt like walking behind a jet engine. Just to let you know, the heater box works great. Let me know when you figure out a "t" set-up for the heater tube to get heat on both sides.
James: The Rennshift set-up is awesome. What a major improvement in shifting. It really does have that "gated" feeling.
I would like to publicly thank these GENTLEMEN for thier commitment to providing the highest quality products and sevice. They each have my highest recommendation. smilie_pokal.gif
Now, a few more pictures. Not quite done yet, but getting there. Still fabracating the diamond plate aluminum box to cover the battary set-up and the rest of the birdseye maple interior trim.
914rick
Guages
914rick
gauges
914rick
more
914rick
Header
914rick
Another
914rick
Covered up jack hole because I have Stainless Steel rockers w/out holes. Rust is gone!!!!
914rick
other side
seanery
smilie_pokal.gif
GaroldShaffer
sweet wub.gif
Jake Raby
Rick, Great looking car! Glad that you enjoyed the first drive!

People just can't understand the power of a MassIve Type IV till they experience one....

You will eat sixes- proven.
J P Stein
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Apr 6 2004, 06:19 PM)

You will eat sixes- proven.

Got any money to bet on that?
Korijo
I really, REALLY dig the battery setup. Stock Optima Red top ?
Can I copy that system, or is it patented ? laugh.gif
Jake Raby
Guys do it all the time..... Last year we beat out a whole field of sixes at the Porsche Parade auto X with a F production prepped car... wasn't even set up for autoX...

I get emails almost every Monday morning from guys running these 2270s that beat street prepared sixes at the track..

My 914 proudly states "notasix" on the license plate....
ChrisFoley
Rick,
I love that maple interior!
And the custom Optima is way cool. I've never seen a 2 piece car battery before.
What are the cam and dyno specs on your engine?
Jake, can you show us a graph on this one?
Jake Raby
The file is too large and it won't let me post it. Rick might be able to, he has a copy of the plot in his manual.
914rick
The battary set-up is 2 6v battaries placed on thier sides so that I have enough clearence for the top to still mount in the trunk. The battaries are only 3in thick. Also have a 175amp mega fuse mounted between the battaries. Has a cut switch and the cord for a battary tender is hard mounted. Here is dyno graph for the engine.
seanery
nice torque!
Jake Raby
Thats my 2270 thats best for a street 914. I could have gotten 155HP out of it but would have cost torque.

The 901 loves torque.
seanery
That's nice Jake. I'll take torque over HP anytime on a street car! clap56.gif
Jake Raby
and all the torque @ 3500 and HP is done before 6500....

But she'll spin 7300 no sweat!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.