Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Can somebody identify these calipers
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
veltror
Gentlemen,

I was hoping I could ask for some assistance I have purchased some calipers which have been told are from a 911 SC could somebody take a look at the pictures and possibly confirm? This means I can buy some 911sc discs and pads, any help with part numbers would be appreciated.

The only markings on the calipers are that they made by ATE and next to the ate mark there is a number smile.gif 289 they have one bleed nipple. As my rustoration continue sit is now time to start putting some of the other parts together.

Thanks

Roman
914werke
M calipers but not sure if they are F. or R. idea.gif
RJMII
If they were R, would they have a lever on them like the 914 calipers? the lever for the E-Brake... ?
Ericv1
By the piston size, they look like they're the fronts. But it's hard to tell from the pics. Eric
So.Cal.914
No I don't think so, I believe they had a drum e-brake inside the rotor.
veltror
They are fronts so i have been told, any suggestions for part nos for discs and pads?

Roman
So.Cal.914
Are they 3" or 3.5" spaceing? Can't remember. If they are 3" you can use them on the back IIRC.
PeeGreen 914
If they are in fact front you need to modify them to use in the rear. They are 3" spacing. Eric can tell you more if he looks at this thread poke.gif .
So.Cal.914
Isn't it just a shim Jon? confused24.gif
roadster fan
QUOTE(So.Cal.914 @ Jan 14 2009, 12:37 PM) *

Isn't it just a shim Jon? confused24.gif

I think you use an SAE washer between the caliper and the mounting ears, and some people have clearanced the holes on the caliper to allow for slight adjustment IIRC. I have the same calipers that I am gonna put on the rear, just haven't gotten that far headbang.gif

Jim

edit: here is a pic I found
Click to view attachment
SLITS
If they are SC fronts they will have 3.5" spacing on the attachment bosses. Otherwise known as "M".

If they are 3" spacing fronts, they are "A" calipers and NOT SC calipers (fronts anyway) ..

Measure the spacing.
So.Cal.914
QUOTE(SLITS @ Jan 14 2009, 12:47 PM) *

If they are SC fronts they will have 3.5" spacing on the attachment bosses. Otherwise known as "M".

If they are 3" spacing fronts, they are "A" calipers and NOT SC calipers (fronts anyway) ..

Measure the spacing.

Hi Ron, I have a set of A's that I will be useing on the 74. Is it just a shim? Thickness? Thanks.
SLITS
QUOTE(So.Cal.914 @ Jan 14 2009, 12:50 PM) *

Measure the spacing.

Hi Ron, I have a set of A's that I will be useing on the 74. Is it just a shim? Thickness? Thanks.

Get a set of early 911 struts and all is well .... assuming you are using them on the front. I know the BMW trick, but don't know anything about putting "A" calipers on 914 struts.

I also don't know chit about putting them on the rear .... I use /4s on the rear.
So.Cal.914
Sorry about that, they are for the rears. I have Wilwood's for the front.
veltror
Yep they are 3.5 " spacing I also have some nice red Koni 911 struts, bit early for the British Rustoration since body is not complete but you guys can see the progress being made. In the UK it would not pass inspection without a rear handbrake so they are for the front. Now need some dust shields since I did not get those.

R
davep

Measure the spacing.

Uh Ron...
The calipers are "A" type with 3.5" mount spacing. These require "S" struts.

M (Medium) are the 3.0" spacing.
914werke
Dave beat me to it...
Ron you were having a senior moment biggrin.gif
M fronts are a bolt on to stock 914 strut housings,
But to use the vented 911 rotors you need the billet
hub adapters. Dave Hunt should have that exact setup
on his car now rolleyes.gif
SLITS
I know, I know ... I can't keep the "A" & "M" straight .... never could. I always refer the spacing.

I am properly admonished and will go hide again. pray.gif
Eric_Shea
Those are A-Calipers for sure. There are two types; A and Wide A (otherwise called Carrera calipers). Those are SC A-Calipers. Very common on Porsche, Mercedes and BMW's of the era.

Identifiers:

1. Fluid inlet at the base of the widows peak.
2. M9 fasteners with 14mm nuts and rather small R6 heads.
3. Cup style pistons, which can be found in later M-Calipers but "always" in A-Calipers.
4. 3.5" mounting ear spacing

Regarding using M-Calipers on the rear:

The front M-Caliper will not fit. The nose of the caliper hits the rotor hat. The picture that Jim posted shows a "Rear M-Caliper" which is made off a similar if not the same casting as the early 914 front caliper. The pistons are 38mm and match up much better with the 48mm fronts. The sole identifier from that picture is the fluid inlet is plumbed on the "end" of the caliper.

Those do bolt on to a 914 but you will loose your hand brake and you will need a 5mm shim under the mounting ears of the caliper or a 5mm spacer ring under the rotor hat. You can see the 5mm shim under the mounting ears in that picture. I've never heard of nor is there any need to "clearance" the holes on the caliper. 3" to 3"... they bolt right up.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.