Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Lodging
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Events Forum > Past Event Planning Threads
rick 918-S
I broke this down into sub groups so we can track each item to conclusion. Only post in the information about Lodging in the thread.

This topic needs attension before we can put up the web page.
rick 918-S
I had a chat with Mike yesterday. He told me he is checking into lodging over the weekend. He will report his findings as soon as he knows what's available. That's good news!
r_towle
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Jan 16 2009, 09:10 AM) *

I had a chat with Mike yesterday. He told me he is checking into lodging over the weekend. He will report his findings as soon as he knows what's available. That's good news!

Mike,

There is a cheap motel/hotel right at the exit from the main highway.
Its a target for thieves. Trailers have been stolen, all sorts of stuff.

We stayed at a little hotel in Hershey. It was pretty reasonable and it was downtown...not sure if there are any bars in Hershey, but that would be key.

Rich
rmital
QUOTE(r_towle @ Jan 16 2009, 11:31 AM) *

...not sure if there are any bars in Hershey, but that would be key.

I was at Hershey a few years ago during the Thanksgiving Holiday...kind of a ghost town, had a great time with the family.

....didn't notice many bars as I drove around. Just one, on the corner of the street that you cut up when returning to the main drive that has the Hotels on. A real shot and beer place.
r_towle
I looked into hotels/motels and it appears we may want to look at Harrisburg...its a 15 minute drive and its a city/state capital.

The Days Inn was $55.00 per night...its a motel with no bar and its near the airport..not optimal, but they have a meeting room we could take over and bring our own booze...

Aside from that, I cant guess due to not knowing the terrain...

I am hoping to find a simple place to stay that is cheap (attract more members) and close to some bar (attract more members) and has decent parking.

Rich
rick 918-S
See the web site post for more detail.

Mike I see you posted several options for hotels. Thanks! that must have taken some serious time to post. Now we need to weed out the worse and vote here on the best.

Can someone cut and paste the best hotel option information posted in the garage over to this private planning section?

I think this is job one. Lets get this locked down and make a decision on the location of this key peice of the puzzle.

Home base hotel:
When we launch the site and point people to it, some may be ready to pull the trigger. Lets not give them a chance to have a second thought or feel uneasy about the validity of the event. A hotel sign up is key.

Maybe someone with the skills to set up a pole can set one up here in the private planning forum. I think this is something we need to decide on here not in the open forum.
Dr Evil
Hey Man,

How much are the 3 hotels I mentioned in Palmyra? There are some further down the road toward the boonies and out of the City. I would stay out of Harrisburg.

As for bars, there are not many in Hershey and they close early, or have no parking, or both. In Palmyra, there is a bar at the Bowling alley smile.gif Also there is Dukes, the sushi bar, Dimitri's, 2 beer stores, a Wal-Mart, magical cows, etc smile.gif
Dukes and the bowling alley both have large parking lots.

If you want alternatives down the road I can look into them.

As for time to look into these, I have none or limited. Tomorrow I will be busy until I go to sleep. Wed, I may be able to do something. If you want pics, I can try to, but the sun is usually down by the time I get home.
Dr Evil
Seeing that you said you dont know what I was talking about in the other forum, did you notice the lists, annotated with locations and maps?
rick 918-S
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jan 19 2009, 08:27 PM) *

Seeing that you said you dont know what I was talking about in the other forum, did you notice the lists, annotated with locations and maps?

Cool Mike, Hey what hotels/motels are close to Dukes, Dimitri's and the bowling alley? I looked at your map in the garage but I didn't see where you live (you stated the hotels and dukes,dimirtis and the bowling alley are close to you) or where Dukes, dimitris. and the bowling alley are.

Seeing how we need a gathering place for Saturday night, that may eliminate several of the hotel/motels.

EDIT:

Nevermind, I googled Dukes.

1715 E Chocolate Ave
Hershey, PA 17033
(717) 533-5541

This was posted by BarberDave

"I can recommend Chocolete Town Motel , I have stayed there for many yrs.

clean , reasonable. As Doc. said with walking distance of Duke's and Dimitris

of the 2 i prefer Duke's good food and Suds. Large enough to handle lg. group.

Dave "

What say you?
r_towle
What time does the bowling alley close?
If it has a bar, that could be alot of fun for saturday night...

I was looking here, so no I did not see the post about possible hotels.

No need to pics IMHO, just pick one that you KNOW will work...drive by and take a look, see if they are cool or crap.
Ask if they would provide a discount for 20-30 rooms.
We will not pay ahead of time, they will however keep the rooms open at a certain rate up until date X (to be negotiated) and after that the rooms are at the normal rate.

I think if we can keep it to under 100 bucks for the night, that will fly.
Rich
rick 918-S
QUOTE(r_towle @ Jan 19 2009, 09:27 PM) *

What time does the bowling alley close?
If it has a bar, that could be alot of fun for saturday night...

I was looking here, so no I did not see the post about possible hotels.

No need to pics IMHO, just pick one that you KNOW will work...drive by and take a look, see if they are cool or crap.
Ask if they would provide a discount for 20-30 rooms.
We will not pay ahead of time, they will however keep the rooms open at a certain rate up until date X (to be negotiated) and after that the rooms are at the normal rate.

I think if we can keep it to under 100 bucks for the night, that will fly.
Rich

agree.gif Bowling could be cool if the lanes are open.

Question: Is there a law about bar closing times? or if we called them and told them we have a group could they legally stay open? til what time?

$ 100 a night should be fine.
Dr Evil
In Palmyra: walking distance to Dukes, and Dimitri’s

Scottish Inn
1518 E Chocolate Ave
Hershey, PA

Chocolatetown Motel
1806 E Chocolate Ave
Hershey, PA

Milton Motel
1733 E Chocolate Ave
Hershey, PA

I can check with the bowling alley.
The main advantage to the 3 near Dukes is that they are within staggering distance: next door and 2 right across the street. As for "crap", only one looks budget, but none of them are crappy looking. I can see about a room rate as well, tomorrow smile.gif
VaccaRabite
Folks went to Duke's in 2007, both Friday and Saturday I think. Saturday I know, as I was there.

Last year we were a bit smaller group (figures, smaller group on the nice year) and went to a BBQ place that was good (yum), but small for a larger group.

Zach
r_towle
Did we get a rate for these three choices?

Im game for any of them.
I am getting confused when you say "in Palmyra" yet the address is Hershey PA...from what I recall, its not a big town...

Rich
Dr Evil
I wont be able to get rates until tomorrow. I am trying to handle some things here. Palmyra is where I live and boarders Hershey. The hotels are technically just before Palmyra. These are small places so we may need more than one depending on the flood of people.
rick 918-S
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jan 24 2009, 02:56 PM) *

I wont be able to get rates until tomorrow. I am trying to handle some things here. Palmyra is where I live and boarders Hershey. The hotels are technically just before Palmyra. These are small places so we may need more than one depending on the flood of people.

The launch of the web site is pending the confirmation of this information.
Dr Evil
Dudes, I am going as fast as I can. Just because I live here doesnt mean I have ultimate time to sort this out.
Dr Evil
Getting ready to call on the 3 I have decided on. Looking at the web sites for them shows that most are in the $65-85/night range. This is within our $100/night and people can double up at this rate and save.
Dr Evil
Palmyra Bowl, open til 1am Fri and Sat

http://www.palmyrabowl.com/

Attached is the Sink Hole Saloon open til 2am

http://www.sinkholesaloon.com/leagues.asp

Lots of parking. I will look into places near here, too.
Sinkhole Saloon and Grille
1218 East Main Street
Palmyra, PA 17078
Dr Evil
Doing more research on the net regarding these places and many are getting shitty ratings. I am thinking that Chocolatetown will be the one as it has been recommended and has good reviews, the rest are cheap and low quality. We can put links up to them so people can stay within walking distance of each other and save money if they so choose. I'll be calling Chocolatetown and the Palmyra Motel shortly. The Palmyra Motel is closer to the bowling alley, but all of these places are on the main drag and within 7mi or less of Hershey Park so not a problem at all.
Dr Evil
OK, I managed to get a hold of Palmyra Motel who has 35 rooms and will give us a rate of $60 for one King, or $70 for 2 queens. No time limit on the reservation, reference 914World.

Chocolatetown did not answer their phone, I will have to go there or call tomorrow on my lunch break. Their normal rates, though, on their web site are $65-85 for two beds, and $54-74 for single bed. I am thinking that we may be able to get the lower prices with our group. I would like to get Chocolatetown locked down if we can.
rick 918-S
Great news Mike! I'll wait on the launch of the web site til you have a chance to check on Chocolatetown, but either one will work as a home base.
Dr Evil
Looked like Chocotown was closed when I drove by. I went by the Palmyra Motel and was pleased to see that they just refurbished/renovated the whole place. It is also 600' from the bowling/saloon. I want to go into the saloon tomorrow to check it out, but I hope to have this all sorted by tomorrow smile.gif
rick 918-S
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jan 25 2009, 02:02 PM) *

Looked like Chocotown was closed when I drove by. I went by the Palmyra Motel and was pleased to see that they just refurbished/renovated the whole place. It is also 600' from the bowling/saloon. I want to go into the saloon tomorrow to check it out, but I hope to have this all sorted by tomorrow smile.gif

Great news! See if the Bowling Alley has a meeting/party room to rent.
Dr Evil
the bowling alley has a room that they usually fit about 50 people into. I am waiting to hear back on the rate for it. the chocolatetown motel is booked, they only have 5 rooms open that weekend so its all about hte Palmyra Motel. People should book quickly as there is another convention in town the same weekend and it is already claiming many rooms.
rick 918-S
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jan 26 2009, 01:02 PM) *

the bowling alley has a room that they usually fit about 50 people into. I am waiting to hear back on the rate for it. the chocolatetown motel is booked, they only have 5 rooms open that weekend so its all about hte Palmyra Motel. People should book quickly as there is another convention in town the same weekend and it is already claiming many rooms.

OK, Cool, I will call the web site guy and have him do a quick launch to give people a chance to book their. I will watch here for info on the bowling alley room info.
Dr Evil
So, I need to know what you are all wanting with the bowling alley. Food? Bowling? Drinks? Catering? Just a room? All of this will affect the cost, of course. It will save me some serious time if I can know what is desired smile.gif
rick 918-S
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jan 27 2009, 07:21 PM) *

So, I need to know what you are all wanting with the bowling alley. Food? Bowling? Drinks? Catering? Just a room? All of this will affect the cost, of course. It will save me some serious time if I can know what is desired smile.gif

Here's my thought. Some of the members wanted to know if we were having a meeting and dinner event Saturday night. So yes, Drinks for sure, I think it we can score a party room in a central location We could easily find a small cateror if the bowling alley allows that type of thing otherwise we may need to find a bar with a party room close to the hotel. The bowling alley sounds like the perfect fit. If you could lock this in we'd be pretty close to having an event.

Next step is to put a number on the event for sign up.

We need a price for Saturday night dinner, event sweatshirt, event swag...

The swap meet will be paid by the attendee, the hotel will be paid by the attendee, the AX will be paid by the attendee.

So, we just need a small attendance fee to cover Saturday Night Fever! aktion035.gif
Dr Evil
Alright, I will see when I can get a chance to talk with them. I was sick all day and will be busy tomorrow until about 6-6:30pm
r_towle
Awesome progress.
Lets tell everyone about the hotel. The price is perfect.
Keep on trucking guys!!!
Rich
Dr Evil
Alright, I cant seem to connect with them on the phone so I sent an email. Lets see what deals they have. I asked about the room and what options for food and drink.
Dr Evil
This has started to be a banquet thread now smile.gif
Her is the reply for our options at the alley:

"I have the party room available which can seat 40-50
people. We can do a buffet and bowling or just a buffet. I am not sure if
bowling will be available though. We do run a large tournament and I won't
know until after Mar 1 how many lanes they will need that weekend. "

"We can customize anything you would like for your
group. If you just want to use the room, there is a $40 charge. If you get
a food package, there is no charge. Outside food is not allowed.

And from the pdf:

"A final count, for food, will be needed by April 18, 2009."

"Prior to your arrival, we will set up Party Rooms to serve your meal. There are approximately 40 seats available in the room. Unlimited soda and coffee will be
available from the bar or snack bar during your entire visit. We will provide all the necessary tableware. For group parties we can run a tab for alcoholic beverages, or the group’s guests can purchase their own. Per our conversations, your guests will be responsible for any alcoholic beverages they may acquire. Alcoholic beverages will be your guests responsibility.

The menu(s) for to choose from:
All menus are served proportioned to the number of attendees, not all-u-can eat

Luncheon Menu:

Clam Chowder
Spring Mix salad served w/ Fresh Rolls
Cole Slaw
Pulled Pork BBQ and Caesar Grilled Chicken wraps
Chips and Pretzels
Fresh Baked Brownies and cookies
Unlimited Pepsi Fountain Drinks and Coffee

Dinner Menu:

Appetizers:
Wings (Mild & BBQ)
Crab Stuffed Mushrooms
Loaded Potato Skins
Spinach & Artichoke Dip
Vegetable tray

Dinner:

Spring Mix Salad & Fresh Rolls
Clam Chowder
Chicken Alfredo with Pancetta and Asparagus Tips
Prime Rib Carving Station
Vegetable Medley
Your choice of one: Roasted Potato; Mashed Potato; or Rice Pilaf
Assorted Pies and Cakes
Any extra food requested will be added to the master bill, per your approval only. "

I trimmed the superfluous stuff out, but this sounds like it may be a good deal smile.gif Let me know what you think and I will get a quote.
rick 918-S
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jan 30 2009, 03:28 PM) *

This has started to be a banquet thread now smile.gif
Her is the reply for our options at the alley:

"I have the party room available which can seat 40-50
people. We can do a buffet and bowling or just a buffet. I am not sure if
bowling will be available though. We do run a large tournament and I won't
know until after Mar 1 how many lanes they will need that weekend. "

"We can customize anything you would like for your
group. If you just want to use the room, there is a $40 charge. If you get
a food package, there is no charge. Outside food is not allowed.

And from the pdf:

"A final count, for food, will be needed by April 18, 2009."

"Prior to your arrival, we will set up Party Rooms to serve your meal. There are approximately 40 seats available in the room. Unlimited soda and coffee will be
available from the bar or snack bar during your entire visit. We will provide all the necessary tableware. For group parties we can run a tab for alcoholic beverages, or the group’s guests can purchase their own. Per our conversations, your guests will be responsible for any alcoholic beverages they may acquire. Alcoholic beverages will be your guests responsibility.

The menu(s) for to choose from:
All menus are served proportioned to the number of attendees, not all-u-can eat

Luncheon Menu:

Clam Chowder
Spring Mix salad served w/ Fresh Rolls
Cole Slaw
Pulled Pork BBQ and Caesar Grilled Chicken wraps
Chips and Pretzels
Fresh Baked Brownies and cookies

Dinner Menu:

Appetizers:
Wings (Mild & BBQ)
Crab Stuffed Mushrooms
Loaded Potato Skins
Spinach & Artichoke Dip
Vegetable tray

Dinner:

Spring Mix Salad & Fresh Rolls
Clam Chowder
Chicken Alfredo with Pancetta and Asparagus Tips
Prime Rib Carving Station
Vegetable Medley
Your choice of one: Roasted Potato; Mashed Potato; or Rice Pilaf
Assorted Pies and Cakes
Any extra food requested will be added to the master bill, per your approval only. "

I trimmed the superfluous stuff out, but this sounds like it may be a good deal smile.gif Let me know what you think and I will get a quote.

That couldn't be any easier. Now we just need the pricing details so we can figure the event cost. Cool, Good work Doc! aktion035.gif
Dr Evil
Cost depends on what you all want. What food?
rick 918-S
I'd say dinner. It would be dinner time. After a day of swap meet food it may be welcome. But that's just me.
Dr Evil
I figured that dinner would be the deal, but what food from the selections?
Dr Evil
I sent another email asking about cost for dinner, and the use of their parking lot for a car show.
r_towle
Keep it simple and expect alot of people to back down...

Rich
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.