Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: DIY, 4>5lug conversion
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Cheapsnake
Getting close to converting my hubs & rotors to 5 lug. I'm planning on using the wheels as my pattern and machining up a centerpunch for a close fit to the bolt holes. Then it's simply a matter of drill & tap, right?

Ok, what am I missing?
Jeffs9146
You are missing alot!!

You need to have the proper tools if you plan on drilling them yourself! If you are off by even the smallest amount the hub will not be "centered".

5-lug conversion guide
rick 918-S
I just typed a whole bunch of instructions but something happened when I clicked on it to post... dry.gif

This rotor is part of a rear disc brake conversion for a friend of mine. They are for a VW Fastback. I center the rotor on my round drill press table using the pointer end of my caliper.

Then I use a wheel spacer. I bolt the spacer to the rotor with one lub bolt. I center the spacer on the rotor with the pointer end of my caliper.

I have a small hole pre-drilled through the spacer. Once the rotor is centered I complete the small hole through the rotor. I leave the drill bit in the spacer and rotor. This keeps the rotor from moving.

I use a large bit the size of the hole in the spacer. I use the large bit to make a center mark in the rotor for a bit the size of the stud.

Once I did my rear rotors for my 914 I bolted the rotor to my rear flange and used a big ass hand drill through the spacer to mark the hub flange. I drill out the hub flange without removing it from the car.
RJMII
What lug studs are needed for the fronts?

The machinist pokes the holes with his mill and a turn table. He finds the center, goes out to center on the one hole, then rotates and mills holes every 72 degrees. (IIRC, that's what he did for my last ones I had him do up)
MoveQik
Two words....Eric Shea. biggrin.gif
Cheapsnake
Good stuff from PP. Rick, if you find those instructions I'd love to put them to use. Thanks guys, I'm going for it.

Tom
ConeDodger
QUOTE(MoveQik @ Jan 13 2009, 09:52 PM) *

Your right of course Michael but he lives in Wisconsin and it is -23 degrees. He needs something to do or he will get cabin fever...
Cheapsnake
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Jan 14 2009, 07:15 AM) *

QUOTE(MoveQik @ Jan 13 2009, 09:52 PM) *

Your right of course Michael but he lives in Wisconsin and it is -23 degrees. He needs something to do or he will get cabin fever...

-23? ya mean there's a warm front coming through? piratenanner.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.