Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: cowl replacement
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
basaltblack
All you rust repair gurus. I need your help. I need to replace the cowl. Rust in both the corners and the middle of the cowl. Do I need to take off the fenders to weld in the new cowl. And is it easier to replace the whole cowl/windshield frame as one piece? Any pictures and help would be appreciated.
914helo
Basaltblack, I've never had to replace an entire cowl before but the 914's fenders don't come off without drilling out spotwelds and cutting. Originally there is a gap with a thin rubber seal between the cowl and front fender. As long as yours hasn't been welded in, I would recommend just replacing the cowl without touching the fenders. Hope that helps and good luck. welder.gif
basaltblack
Click to view attachmentThank you helo914. Here is a pick. The whole cowl is bad. How can i weld with the fenders on. I guess maybe in the area where the gas tank is housed.
turnaround89
Remove the windshield, gas tank, that little black piece between the cowl and fender, and anything else that can catch on fire or is in your way under the front trunk of the car. Cut out old, rusty metal. Weld in new good metal.
r_towle
Honestly it will be easier to remove the windshield and the hood, then cut out and replace the damaged section.
The cowl is spot welded to the inside of the fender, but it is also welded to the windshield.

I would cut and replace the bad areas.
I can give you a cowl if you need it.

Rich
basaltblack
Thanks Rich. I have a fairly useable cowl from my first project that I decided that was not worth the effort. I have cut off both fenders to get to the cowl on the sides. There is not any good photos of this repair so I was not sure where to cut. So I do not have to replace the windshield posts also? I am going to take out the windshield any way for paint.
IronHillRestorations
That's not an easy fix, or not easy to fix correctly. I would carefully check the entire chassis before you proceed. You could spend the next five years chasing rust around the chassis.
basaltblack
I have checked the chassis. Both longs and rockers are great. Rear trunk is a little bad along the back. Floors need patching under the pedals. The front trunk is awesome.
SirAndy
See if you can get to the spotwelds, it's easier to drill those out and re-use the holes for welding in the patch than trying to match (and buttweld) a cut ...

shades.gif Andy
SirAndy
For example, that's how i did my rear clip. Drilled out all the spotwelds (pain in the butt) and then did the same on the donor car and used the holes to weld the new clip in.

Once you got it all cleaned up and fit right, the actual welding is a walk in the park. It's all in the prep work ...
welder.gif Andy

Rear clip cut out:
Click to view attachment

Donor:
Click to view attachment

Welded in:
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

And painted:
IPB Image
FourBlades

I repaired similar problems with both sides of my car.

You can see the repairs in the later pages of my build thread.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=79106

Not sure I did it "right" but I had no good car at the time to look at.

John
wallys914
agree.gif Same here, its semi easy, just take off the hood, and windshield... make sure you have a full cowl, i only cut and replace the ends...., but i had worse than that to fix.... Look at mine in the below link for some more photos of the repair if you want to....
basaltblack
Thanks guys. You have given me direction in this endevor. I think I will just take off the top skin and weld up the cowl to fender joints from the inside of the trunk. I thought I was going to have to replace the whole windshield frame and cowl.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.