Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Advice Getting into Autocross
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
xperu
I have a cerebrated 1.7 built to a 2 liter with no other modifications other then an electronic ignition. Is it difficult for a beginner like myself to get into autocross with out a lot of restrictions or overwhelming odds with these modifications? Of course I am only running against my own time and to me that’s the most attractive thing to me about autocross is it challenges my skills and not my budget. I will read up on the rules and requirements, but I am looking from a starting point that maybe you guys could help me with. Thanks Mike
Krieger
Just Go! Enjoy yourself meet people and have fun. It will all come with a little seat time. If you don't have fun you won't come back.
Randal
QUOTE(Krieger914 @ Jan 15 2009, 08:31 AM) *

Just Go! Enjoy yourself meet people and have fun. It will all come with a little seat time. If you don't have fun you won't come back.

Great advice and the Santa Rosa people are really fun to run with...

It isn't difficult to get started at all.

For the first year just make sure your car is properly prepared, i.e., tire pressures, oil, brakes, etc.) and just run the car. Run it absolutely like it sits today and get that seat time.

Use an instructor ever time you go.

If Trekkor puts on another AutoX school do go. You will be amazed how much you will learn.
charliew
xperu will need the houston guys help on this endeavor, I'm sure there are lots of guys in the houston area to learn from. Redbeard hasn't been in houston for a long time but I bet he knows some that are doing autocross already. There were some nice guys at his tranny clinic last year. 914sixer, I'm sure, has come across several but he is on the other side of san antonio.
Don't be shy most of those guys like new meat in the pot to exchange ideas.
grantsfo
As indicated just go out and find some other 914 guys. Have a variety of instructors ride with you. Relax and just enjoy understanding the limits of your car. AX is great place to get the feel for the dynamics of your 914.

After your first time out we can start talking about setup.
IronHillRestorations
What they all said. Your car, pretty much as it sits, will exceed your skill level for a couple years.

How do you like the Boxster Grant????
koozy
Hey Mike, just go. That's what I did and I ended up loving it. Last year was my first season and I was hooked from the start. I didn't do anything to my car the first couple of times out. Didn't need to. Seatbelts, no leaks, battery is strapped down, wheel bearings are not loose.... get an approved helmet (check with your local ax guys) and show up willing to learn and have a blast. I did 11 ax events last year. Which, like I said, was my first year doing AX.
Joe Ricard
I put on a school at the end of the season this year. 37 drivers and only 4 of them were regulars. Had one the of the funnest days ever. I expect to have at least half of them return this coming Sunday for a real event.

Great opportunity to learn your car. Definately don't buy into the race tire "crack pipe" till you get a couple hand ful of events behind you.

Infact I am running my yellow car this year exclusively on street tires this year. and I have over 700 autocross runs.
mtn flyr
Any recommedations on street tires for us novices that plan to autocross?

thanks,

Dave
koozy
Like Joe said. Use the tires that are on the car until they wear out. Then, you can look into buying tires. The tires won't make much of a difference until you know a little more about what to do out there so why spend money thrashing tires. That said... After doing it for a while, I used the Falken Azenis RT 615 tires. They are 200 treadwear DOT tires and do quite well. Very inexpensive with quite a bit more grip in an AX than your standard street tire.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.