Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Interior vinyl for the '71s
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
Lavanaut
Below is a (bad) picture of two vinyl samples I received in the mail recently from Autos International. The one on the left is their "domestic" vinyl (#9103), the right is "German" (#9226). The domestic version matches the grain of the AA seat/bolster recover kit I received last year. It's also closer, if not a perfect match, to the vinyl that's on my seats and such now.

Can anyone here say for certain which is the more "correct" sample? I would have expected the German stuff to be a better match, but it doesn't match what's in my car. Of course my car may have been redone incorrectly at some point.

Sorry the clarity isn't better, only have my cell camera handy.

Reid

Click to view attachment
Pat Garvey
I'm assuming that your 914 is a 70/71 car. Correct?
Pat
smg914
Neither of them are exact but the one on the left in your photo is probably closest. The grain looks a little too pronounced.

Here is a photo of an NOS 1971 center seat cushion I got from Auto Atlanta.
Gustl
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Jan 16 2009, 01:43 AM) *

uote]
Pat

Pat, vinyl in MY'70 was pretty different from MY'71 !!

MY'70 and MY'72 had the same style
MY'71 is more or less unique - no other year had this style (no matter if -4 or -6)

bye1.gif Gustl
Lavanaut
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Jan 15 2009, 04:43 PM) *

Pat

'71 yes (it's in my sig too smile.gif)
QUOTE(smg914 @ Jan 16 2009, 07:19 AM) *

Neither of them are exact but the one on the left in your photo is probably closest. The grain looks a little too pronounced.

That's a great pic, thanks Steve. I'm going to keep searching for a better sample/source.
914runnow
Unmolested 71..very low miles now in Europe..Was in San Fran...
914runnow
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Gustl @ Jan 16 2009, 10:57 AM) *

QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Jan 16 2009, 01:43 AM) *

uote]
Pat

Pat, vinyl in MY'70 was pretty different from MY'71 !!

MY'70 and MY'72 had the same style
MY'71 is more or less unique - no other year had this style (no matter if -4 or -6)

bye1.gif Gustl

I don't have anything but my memory (which, as you all know is weak), but I'm thinking that the later 72's used exclusively basketweave material, while the early 72's continued with the material from '71. I'm talking about when they went to retractable belts. Could be wrong, but that's a lot of years ago!
Pat
Lavanaut
QUOTE(914runnow @ Jan 19 2009, 08:28 PM) *

Great pic for reference, thanks!
dr914@autoatlanta.com
The 71 is of course unique and is actually Naugahyde as Porsche contracted with an american firm only that one year to use their vinyl. Hence the stuff in black is very easy to find and is the wider crushed grain look (actually looks like a cheap k mart interior fabric!!!!) Again very unique though.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.