Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Those of you running carbs...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
johnnie5
So I have been fine tuning my new 2056 McMark motor that recently went into my '75, getting out the gremlins (mostly in the carbs). I am using my dual 40 Weber's that came off of my stock 1.8 with new CB linkage. I changed all of the jetting to spec per Mr. Raby's recommendation before installing the carbs on the new motor. I did not, however, get into the bowls and check the float adjustment (I never claimed to be that smart). So the past week or so, I have been doing things like replacing fuel lines, filters (again), and new plugs - trying to work through issues. So today I decided to do something I should have done when the carbs were off, open up the float bowls and measure the floats. Well of course... not only were the floats out of correct adjustment, but the needle and seat on both floats were worn. So I went to my local VW shop and bought a couple of gasket/rebuild kits and went to work. When I cracked the screen filter nuts, this is what I found....
johnnie5
So I got the carbs all back together, and needless to say... she is finally running as she should be - AWESOME!!!

I am running a Malory dizzy and spiral MSD wires I got from Chris Foley, and an MSD 6A I got from Auto Zone for $179 (no tach adaptor needed)!

Love that McMark 2056! Thanks Mark, and Jake too! piratenanner.gif

P.S. Those of you running carbs, don't be like me... CLEAN YOUR SCREENS!!!
Dr Evil
That had to come from somewhere. I would drain some gas from your tank and see if there is sediment. You may have a rust issue brewing there ohmy.gif
southernmost914
Man, I totaly forgot about the screens , mabey thats why my carb( 1of them pops) when I come out of a the only big dbl. sweeper and hit the strait that I have here. : beerchug.gif
Steve
johnnie5
It absolutely did come from somewhere, a rusty gas tank. I guess I should have prefaced by saying that I did an Eastwood gas tank rust cleaning/resealing kit about 9 months ago. I also changed out all of the fuel lines and filter under the tank before I put it back in. I just recently also changed the fuel lines in the engine compartment (which were really bad, hard and crumbling), which I should have done when I did the tank, and the filter back there - again. I just had not cleaned the screen area at the fuel inlet on either carb. head_hurts_kr.gif

But now , all lines and filters are new. Tank is refurbished/resealed - and carbs are properly jetted, tuned, and clean! Woo Hoo! driving.gif
McMark
AWESOME!!! Glad you got it sorted out.

That's NASTY! laugh.gif cool.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.