Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1975 - 2.0 Stock Cam
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
2-OH!
I am taking the short block down to take care of the Galley plug issues and while I am down, I should go ahead and polish/rework/replace the cam.

Local guy has quoted about $250 just to polish...

Whats a replacement worth ???

Daily driver, stock FI 2.0 engine...I don't yet know the condition of the cam until I get down futher...

93,000 miles

What do ya think...

2-OH!
Jake Raby
Damn!

Never heard of polishing a cam.. Sure he is not talking about the crank??

Watch this guy very closely, sounds more thana tad fishy to me.

I'd like to know how he polishes the cam-
Mark Henry
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Feb 18 2004, 03:04 PM)
I'd like to know how he polishes the cam-

400 grit sandpaper <_<

Find a different guy.
Jake Raby
Damn.....

Sure thats a shop and not a slaughterhouse???
tat2dphreak
ummm... won't 250 buy a webcam? cheaper to replace than fix IMHO... get a new one.
Jake Raby
Maybe I should have this guy polish a cam and let me test it in my fixture...
seanery
webcams are 155 if you don't shop around 140 if you do.
Mike D.
Damn, for 250 I've had everything cleaned checked balenced and ready to go... find another shop... One that doesn't say PORSCHE on the outside... laugh.gif
2-OH!
Thanks guys, The Bird has the Web cam for $135.00...If I replace the cam, should I replace the followers...The old ones are perfect...Not a mark on 'em...

2-OH!
DuckRyder
GOD YES
McMark
Duck, I think you meant...

GOD YES
seanery
....what they mean is....webcam says you need to. I'd do EXACTLY as they say, especially with the failures of cams/lifters.
DuckRyder
In light of the cam lifter problems that have occurred lately:

This is strictly opinion, but assuming that you kept the lifters in order when removed, I would closely inspect the cam/lifters. If they are good then I would probably reuse the set.

If you did not keep the lifters in order or the cam shows flat lobes you have NO CHOICE but to replace both cam and lifters. Unless you want to step up to the ceramic lifters get the WEB CAM recommended set.

Some here may disagree, but also I would go to Summit Racing or Jegs and order both the cam lube and oil additive from one of the major hot rod cam people like Crane or Comp and absolutely cover the thing with it. When you think you have way too much on it, put some more on. If you run out, you might have enough on it.

If the lifters or cam is indeed improperly hardened, the lube won't save it, but many a perfectly good cam had been destroyed by poor oiling in the first few minutes.

When you fire the new engine off you must run it at least 2500 rpm for 20 minutes minimum. Do not let it drop below 2500. Every person has kind of a preferred procedure, but nearly all, if not all Cam manufactures say above 2500. I personally run mine at 2800-3200 (I gradually vary the rpm between those two) for 30 minutes.
rhodyguy
do you mind saying who the "local guy" is?

kevin
2-OH!
Kevin:

Sent you a PM ...

2-OH!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.