Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Do you think there are 2 track days left on these tires?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
siverson
Do you think there are 2 track days left on these tires? Have an event in a couple weeks, and am wondering if this will make it through two days (probably 10 20 minute sessions total).

They are also now about 1.5 years old and have a bluish tint to them... ?

-Steve
siverson
xClick to view attachment
siverson
siverson
siverson
I think the pictures show more thread than there is. It's almost smooth in the middle.
messix
you didn't store them like that did you?

not outside in the sun in covered!

if you did.... nada.
siverson
No, they are stored in the garage.
messix
maybe you'll get some really wild laps outta them blink.gif .

they look like they've been run at high psi to wear the center out.

whats the tread temps been ?
race914
Last SCCA Vintage event I was putting on my hoosiers and found a quarter size corded spot blink.gif So I had to run with 8 year old A032s that came with the car and I used to roll the car around between events, etc.

I was pleasantly suprised. I thought they would stay rock hard and it would be a wasted weekend but they actually did 'ok' after they got warmed up.

Yours should do ok.
race914
Followup from my reply above.

As you said the pics may not depict the real condition of the tires so make sure you don't have any cord showing. Also if you have a pre-tech, talk this over with the tech crew and let them check the tires.

If you get the go ahead for the event, re-check for cord spots after each run session.

Be sure to put the 'best' tire on the corner that 'works' the hardest, 'worst' tire that 'works' the least, etc. for the track you are going too.

Following on Messix's comment, make sure the psi isn't too high and check hot after coming in.

SirAndy
Use rubber softener on them. Then run them at lower psi as usual to wear the sides more ...

They should be OK for some fun ...
driving.gif Andy
siverson
Thanks for the tips.

Hey race914, I haven't been on the board much lately, but our cars look like brothers from the thumbnail you have (stickers).

-Steve

race914
QUOTE(siverson @ Jan 17 2009, 12:15 PM) *

Thanks for the tips.

Hey race914, I haven't been on the board much lately, but our cars look like brothers from the thumbnail you have (stickers).

-Steve

I noticed that too. They do look like brothers! I love signal orange.
6freak
QUOTE(race914 @ Jan 17 2009, 12:23 PM) *

QUOTE(siverson @ Jan 17 2009, 12:15 PM) *

Thanks for the tips.

-Steve

I noticed that too. They do look like brothers! I love signal orange.

Maybe there sisters poke.gif ..just kid`n ..but anywho I ran my A032R right down to nothing and yours look like there just getting good ..the color is just the oils coming out its ok to run them ...my tire pressure was 24psi front 26psi back cold ..set them and forget them ..you not going to change them when you drive the car on the street .so why do it at the track ....unless its a super hot day at the track then i start out just a bit lower..maybe 22-24..... you WILL know when they stop working
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.