Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Testing used shocks-SF Bay Area shock dynamometer?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mueller
Got a deal(I think) on a set of used front Koni Sport Yellows...money has not exchanged hands and I had a few questions before I buy 'em.

Just to make sure I understand these correctly...the only adustment is for rebound???

No matter how the knob is moved, the force to push (compress) the shock down will always be the same correct??

The rebound is gas pressurized and the rate (time and force) of rebound varies with adjustment???
Tony C
In theory yes, but in application no. Are you going to be at the breakfast tomarow? It would be much easier to explain in person.

-Tony
Mueller
Nope, cannot make the breakfast...

I'll be half-way to LA by 9:14am tomorrow...
(driving down to celebrate Sherryls grandmothers 84th B-day)

I believe that if you have the shocks on a bench, it should be harder to pull the shaft up when the rebound is adjusted firmer...correct???

I guess what I am confused about a tad, is that if the shocks are gas, does that mean they would come back up any faster or not depending on the settings?
I'm guessing no, since it would be counter-productive to making the rebound firmer.

Maybe I'm thinking of the Bilstein struts too much with this application.
Brad Roberts
I think your confusing the 2 types of shocks.

This is what I have found: in lay mans terms

Yes. A Koni adjustable is harder to pull "up" on when they are set full hard. I personally think this effects the dampen also.

Are you trying to build your own shocks here or what ??

B
Tony C
Ok, you guys are both going down the wrong paths...

The koni yellow shocks are a single adjustable gas PRESSURED shock. The gas has an effect on the shock in both rebound AND compression. What the gas does is help stabilize the fluid and prevent cavitation. The negative effects are that it can "preload" the shim stack. We often can use the gas charge pressure to change how the shock ramps up (nose of the curve) into the loading.

So what does turning the knob do? In theory it just changes rebound. (pulling the shock up) It does this by changing the orfice size on the bleed holes. These orofices allow fluid to move through the shock without going through the shim stack. When you are pulling on the shock on the "bench", yes a lower rebound setting will be easier to pull up, therfore you will be able to pull it up faster. In real life the change in rebound is only changing the amount of force required to move the shock a certain distance over a specified amount of time.

There is also a slight amount the compression changes with the koni yellow shocks, but I am not going to write out that!

I am sure this will create even more questions than answers but you will have to wait until we can discuss this. JUST PUT THEM ON THE CAR AND STOP OVER ANALYZING THIS... biggrin.gif

-Tony
Tony C
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Mar 28 2003, 05:24 PM)

Yes. A Koni adjustable is harder to pull "up" on when they are set full hard. I personally think this effects the dampen also.

Are you trying to build your own shocks here or what ??

B

Rebound is a part of dampning.

-tony
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(Tony C @ Mar 28 2003, 05:35 PM)
tJUST PUT THEM ON THE CAR AND STOP OVER ANALYZING THIS... biggrin.gif

Hah! I've been yelling that at him for years, but it hasn't had any effect so far...

--DD
Mueller
Hey Dave...you don't want to owe me another beer now do you?? smile.gif

I saw you drive by me today while I was at NASA, Jason and I went looking for you, he was giving me the 5cent tour of the place.

As for the shocks, I want to know what I am adjusting and why...
Dave Cawdrey
Are my struts burnt if one sticks up taller (DS) than the other (PS)? Or is it adjusted a bit softer to compensate for weight of driver? confused24.gif
Dave Cawdrey
pic
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(Mueller @ Mar 28 2003, 09:57 PM)
Hey Dave...you don't want to owe me another beer now do you?? smile.gif

In for a bottle, in for a case... biggrin.gif

I saw you drive by me today while I was at NASA, Jason and I went looking for you, he was giving me the 5cent tour of the place.

Yeah, I talked to Jason about it today at breakfast. Sounds like you hit both the building where I used to work (VMS) and the one where I currently surf the BBSes.... I mean, work! (CVSRF) But I was at the gym. It was actually my day off, but I came in anyway to talk to a couple of people, go to my daily fitness class, and hit the bank.

Oh well, next time. And next time, call me--you've got the cell number! I'll show you around and fire up the simulator if I can! smile.gif

--DD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.