Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Swapping out my 4 lug hubs
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
seanery
I just sent some hubs out to FAT to get drilled and studs. I've already got rear 5 lug rotors.
Other than wheel bearings what do I need?
Can someone recomend a brand/vendor for the bearings?
Is it a major PITA to replace these?

thanks in advance.
Jeffs9146
Is it a major PITA to replace these?

If you have all of the tools and are doing it in the car its not too bad. You should replace the CV gasket closest to the Trany and repack the joints. When I did mine I was told to put the Bearing in the freezer for a while before I attempt to press it into the trailing arm and heat the arm with a shop light.

Jeff
Joe Bob
"I" would consider having one or two extra front rotors drilled so that if ya screw one up, you don't have any down time.
seanery
really? I thought the fronts were easy?
Jeffs9146
"I" would consider having one or two extra front rotors drilled so that if ya screw one up, you don't have any down time.

He must have a few extras for sale!!

Jeff
Joe Bob
If they were easy, would you have sent them out to be done?
Jeffs9146
If they were easy, would you have sent them out to be done?

He is doing the REAR! cool_shades.gif

Jeff
seanery
well, I'm doing fronts & rears. I didn't expect any trouble with replacing the front rotors.
The rears I know are a pain in the ass.
Joe Bob
Why would the rears be a pain? You just buy 914/6 rotors....they can be used with the stock calipers....they may need a little material taken out .....but that's a one time thing....
seanery
aren't the hubs a pain, that's all I'm askin?
Jeffs9146
Compaired to the front, the rears are a pain! You have to pound out the hubs smash.gif and the bearings and replace them without messing anything up!

Other than that it is nothing!

Jeff
Joe Bob
Hubs...that different....thought we was talking rotors....ain't no hubs up front....
JFJ914
The hub/bearing R&R is easy. Putting the lines into the M/C when installed is a PITA. That said, get some allthread, nuts, washers and some steel bits and make a puller to install the bearings and hubs. To pull the bearing, make a fixture that only contacts the OUTER race of the new bearing and pull it in. For the hub, make a fixture that only touches the inner race and pull. No need for heat or cold. Spray a little WD-40 or Anti-Sieze on the bearing seat and hub. Otto's had real German bearings last time I did this.
Gint
I'm going to buy a Harbor Freight shop press (it's on sale for $169.99) and stop at the steel supply and make the necessary fittings I need to R&R rear hub bearings. And suspension bushings, and...
anthony
FWIW, there's a lot of good posts by Brad on the Pelican board about doing the rear hubs and the 5 lug conversion.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.