Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT. Need computer help.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Joe Owensby
Sorry for the non 914 topic, but I need some help. My Windows XP computer does not want to start up. It runs OK in safe mode, but not in real mode. I have tried the RESTORE function several times, no luck. I have both ATT and Microsoft antivirus programs running, and have removed any spyware or viruses.

Is there anything I can do short of a full recovery using the original machine programs? Also, should the CD/DVD writer work in safe mode? I can't get mine to work. I think everything else but the printer works. I was able to get most of my data onto a memory stick. Any suggestions will be appreciated greatly. Thanks, JoeO
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(Joe Owensby @ Jan 17 2009, 10:56 PM) *

Sorry for the non 914 topic, but I need some help. My Windows XP computer does not want to start up. It runs OK in safe mode, but not in real mode. I have tried the RESTORE function several times, no luck. I have both ATT and Microsoft antivirus programs running, and have removed any spyware or viruses.

Is there anything I can do short of a full recovery using the original machine programs? Also, should the CD/DVD writer work in safe mode? I can't get mine to work. I think everything else but the printer works. I was able to get most of my data onto a memory stick. Any suggestions will be appreciated greatly. Thanks, JoeO

Have you installed or changed anything recently? Try reverting that, and running virus and spam checkers.

If you have the OS disk, and have a backup of your data, then reformat and start clean. its a PITA, but your computer WILL run better then ever when given a clean start.

Zach
rjames
What specifically happens when you try to start it in 'real' mode (not safe mode)?

Dr. Roger
many times your graphics driver or card has failed, as the safe mode and splash screens are in VGA.

switch your graphics card to VGA and boot regularly. if it works, then it's your driver.

if it fails, then i could be your video card. IMHO. =)
YksKrad
Agreed that some more information on what happens when you try to start normally would be useful.

Do you have a backup of your registry by chance, or software that can roll your registry back to an early date? If so roll is back to a point where you KNOW it worked.

--------

As far as backing up files I'd recommend going out and buying a second hard drive and plugging it up as a slave and bring your file to it. It's not as time consuming or as annoying as CD backup. Make sure you get the correct hard drive though SATA, IDE, ect. Just look at the hard drive you have it'll say on it somewhere. It's a bit of overkill I suppose but I literally keep an old hard drive from a roached computer for that purpose.
(Don't fear putting it in yourself... The jumper plug is the only 'hard' part and that's just because the thing is annoyingly small.
I dunno that's my opinion that not many would share I'd expect but it works for me.
Cairo94507
I feel your pain brother; I use to have PC issues all of the time and it drove me nuts. Then I made a pretty dramatic change- I went with an iMac and have never had a problem since. piratenanner.gif It was a pretty big deal but now almost 8 months later, I am still smiling. biggrin.gif Hope it works out for you.
Gint
If it were me:

Remove the original drive. Stick another drive in the box and load the OS onto that new drive. Doesn't take long and if it loads and runs successfully that way it will rule out other HW issues. Then all of the data should still be intact and accessible on the original disk. Go from there... try to get the initial OS running form the original disk, troubleshoot hardware if necessary, just install the original disk to get the data, start over, etc...
Joe Owensby
WOW, thanks for the advice. I installed an old hard drive, and the problem is the same. When starting up the first time, I get the Windows XP logo, and the little green bar that indicates that it is loading or something. Then, I guess after timing out, the safe start, etc. screen comes up. So, the problem may be the video card??

I am not sure how to turn it into just a VGA mode. To replace it should I just pull it and go to BEST BUY and get a new one?

Thanks very much for the help. JoeO
championgt1
I had a very similar problem with my computer at work. A new video card later everything was good.
RJMII
if you go the vid card route...

is it an AGP card or a PCI-E card, or is it onboard? or perhaps is it an oddity in today's computer world... a PCI unit?

got a pic of the inside of the case? =) or S/N off the vid card?

You might as well upgrade the video card while yo'ure in there. wink.gif the extra Video speed/memory will help speed up the PC, too.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.