Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914/6 Shell Lubricants sticker
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
JackB
I've checked the owners manual and many period road tests, but none of these shows the red and yellow Shell sticker that is attached to the air filter housing of 911 engines of that era. Was this sticker not used on the 914/6 engines? If it was, what is the correct location?

Many thanks.

Jack
smg914
You can see a picture of a 914-6 airbox on this page from a magazine article.
JackB
Thank you.

Is that article from "Supercar Classics"? If so, I have it but forgot to look it up!

Jack
smg914
No it was from the September 1993 issue of European Car but there is a better picture in the October 1990 issue of Supercar Classics.
JackB
I've done some more research and the only 914/6 I've seen pictures of with the Shell sticker, aside from the one in European Car and Supercar Classics, is the road test car driven by Car magazine. It didn't have a sticker originally (in the magazine photos) but has acquired one during restoration. It's beginning to look like perhaps the 914/6s didn't have the Shell stickers.

I'm new here, so I'm wondering if there's a "reference car" that members use to sort out details like this.

Thanks again!

Jack
Gustl
this one is in the classifieds currently smile.gif

IPB Image

bye1.gif Gustl

p.s. AFAIK the Shell sticker wasn't there fresh from the factory - it's more or less a "maintanance thing"

JackB
QUOTE(Gustl @ Jan 20 2009, 12:17 AM) *

p.s. AFAIK the Shell sticker wasn't there fresh from the factory - it's more or less a "maintanance thing"

Thanks. I think that's probably the case. Also, I believe the yellow stickers are correct for the period. I'm not sure about the predominantly white ones.

Jack
xsurfer
I'm the lucky third owner, no shell sticker on mine. I've got 87K miles and pictures of the car being serviced years ago.

914Sixer
There is a person selling repro stickers on Ebay from Spain for $7 a set of mostly 6 engine decals. The seller says they a plastic coated to allow for cleaning.
Gustl
got a link - or at least the auction number ??
914Sixer
Wolfgang,
Look under 914 parts in Ebay in Spain, Italy, France, not sure about Germany though. I was looking last night and I can not remember.
Thanks,
Mark
71 sixer
Thought I would try to revive this thread.

So what is the concensus.............was there a Shell sticker on the 914-6 air filter?

If so, where on the air filter did one typically find it?

sixerdon
QUOTE(71 sixer @ Dec 17 2011, 12:41 PM) *

Thought I would try to revive this thread.

So what is the concensus.............was there a Shell sticker on the 914-6 air filter?

If so, where on the air filter did one typically find it?

Speaking for my two /6's and many others I've seen,...my answer would be no, the factory did not apply those stickers.
Don
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.