Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fuchs polishing
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Cevan
So I decided to go at one of my Fuchs with some sandpaper while my son took a badly needed nap. I had previously taken the anodizing off using the Easy-off method. I was curious to see how they would come out with a relatively quick sanding.

I used progressively finer grit paper from 220, 320, 500, 800, 1000, 1500, and 2000 and then aluminum polish. I spent 2 hours total, from start to finish. I spent more time with the 220 than I should have had to. There were small sections of anodizing that were still on the rim. I will re-apply the Easy-off to the other rims before polishing them.

Once they are all done, I will mask off the polished areas and beadblast the rest.

Click to view attachment
PeeGreen 914
Wow, that's fast. You must have used a machine sander? I can't imagine you did all that by hand that fast but nice work none the less. smilie_pokal.gif
Cevan
Yup, by hand. Once you to the finer grits, you barely have to apply any pressure. It looks pretty good from 5 feet away but if you get right up to it, you can see micro scratches. I don't have the time or patience to get a true mirror finish but with a little more time, I think I can get them to look very good.
jonferns
If you went to even finer grits could you eliminate some of the larger scratches?
jsayre914
so now wacha going to do to the lower pedals??

flat black, or a original look
popcorn[1].gif
Cevan
QUOTE(sendjonathanmail @ Jan 19 2009, 04:34 PM) *

If you went to even finer grits could you eliminate some of the larger scratches?

How fine should I go?
Gint
Looks pretty good from here.

Finer than 2000? Forget about it for trying to get rid of scratches that occurred during your polishing. 2000 is more than enough to get a good polish on a Fuchs.

*If* you want to get rid of the scratches, you have to go back down to the grit that is the same size of the scratches (the grit that caused the scratch) and start over again and work your way up again from there. BTW, wet sanding and using some sort of stiff foam pad instead of your fingers (just like bodywork) will work better than dry.
biosurfer1
hm... i got a spare set of 2.0's laying around. Might have to try this the next rainy day.
Gint
This is what 30 hours of sanding and polishing will get you. After I figured out how to get the job done, I figure I could do this in 8-12 hours. This wheel truly was like a mirror. Zero scratches. If you looked at the sun's reflection in it it would blind you.

IPB Image
biosurfer1
Gint...did you do that by hand? Would a regular mouse sander get the same results faster?
Gint
Tried that too. wink.gif In fact I used a dremel sander with a triangular attachment. Yeah, you can use those. If you're just doing petals and lips especially. But if you're doing a full polish there are just too many curves. There's no substitute some times for good old fashioned work.

I like to say that doing that job taught me the value of Al Reed's work. I haven't tried to polish a wheel since. And Al's done at least 4 sets for me.
dflesburg
final step could be semichrome polish...
Randal
QUOTE(Cevan @ Jan 19 2009, 01:17 PM) *

So I decided to go at one of my Fuchs with some sandpaper while my son took a badly needed nap. I had previously taken the anodizing off using the Easy-off method. I was curious to see how they would come out with a relatively quick sanding.

I used progressively finer grit paper from 220, 320, 500, 800, 1000, 1500, and 2000 and then aluminum polish. I spent 2 hours total, from start to finish. I spent more time with the 220 than I should have had to. There were small sections of anodizing that were still on the rim. I will re-apply the Easy-off to the other rims before polishing them.

Once they are all done, I will mask off the polished areas and beadblast the rest.

Click to view attachment

Beautiful. You've got to be happy with that outcome.
Jeffs9146
This is what 30 hours of sanding and polishing will get you. After I figured out how to get the job done, I figure I could do this in 8-12 hours. This wheel truly was like a mirror. Zero scratches. If you looked at the sun's reflection in it it would blind you.

I remember those! Are those the rims I sold you 6 or 7 years ago? Do they still look that good? How are they holding up? did you do a clear coat or anything to protect them? drooley.gif
Cevan
QUOTE(Gint @ Jan 19 2009, 07:01 PM) *

IPB Image

Hey Gint, that is perfection. What did you use after 2000 grit?
biosurfer1
Harbor Freight has a die grinder buffing kit that works pretty well. I tried it even though mine really needed to be sanded first and it still worked pretty well...cheap and might be good to use after 2000 grit for that mirror shine...

link: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/disp...temnumber=98707
race914
I used the Harbor Freight 'kit' and it worked great

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?s=&...t&p=1030749

the small 'ball' and 'cone' buffing tips work great to get into the tight spots.
Gint
QUOTE(Jeffs9146 @ Jan 20 2009, 10:18 AM) *
I remember those! Are those the rims I sold you 6 or 7 years ago? Do they still look that good? How are they holding up? did you do a clear coat or anything to protect them? drooley.gif

You know, I think that wheel is one of the ones I bought from you back in... 2000, 2001? I only did the one wheel. Like I said, this work taught me the value of Al Reed's work. He and Diane have done all of my wheels since. I bought my first 914 back from the guy I sold it too and it included that wheel. It's dingy, but I'm confident that the wheel will polish right back up again. I have an "after" picture of it on the site somewhere.

QUOTE(Cevan @ Jan 20 2009, 10:46 AM) *
QUOTE(Gint @ Jan 19 2009, 07:01 PM) *
Hey Gint, that is perfection. What did you use after 2000 grit?

Regular metal polishing compounds. I don't remember exactly what I used, I'd have to go out and look in the box of supplies (after I found it that is). I did that years ago. I did use a bench grinder with a polishing wheel as well as a flex shaft off of a small delta bench mount belt sander. More torque than a die grinder. Worked pretty well.
Cevan
Tonight I spent aboout 20 minutes going back over one of the paddles with 800 grit, then 1000, 1200, 1500, and 2000. I went a little lighter with the pressure and dunked the paper in water more often. Then I used Mother's Aluminum and Mag polish. Here I used a lot of pressure and I achieved some level of mirror-like finish.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
orthobiz
Don't look now, Chris, but there's some guy with a camera looking at your wheel!

Paul
Joe Owensby
What is the recommended treatment after polishing to keep the aluminum from oxidizing again? Thanks, JoeO
Lavanaut
QUOTE(Gint @ Jan 19 2009, 04:01 PM) *

This is what 30 hours of sanding and polishing will get you.

That's impressive Mike!
Cevan
I don't think I'll do this again but once I finished sanding one wheel, I had to do the next. I think they took about 25 hours total, from removing the anodizing to final cleaning. Today, I taped the polished parts and bead-blasted the rest of the wheel. I'm pleased with the results. They will replace my Mahle's.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Gint
Schweet!
ConeDodger
LOL! You did that while your son took a much needed nap! My son would be out of college by the time I finished that... Very nice. I applaud your effort.
jeeperjohn56
Hey Gint, What does Al Reed charge now to get wheels polished like yours? And what's his number or contact information? Sorry for the hi-jack. John
Gint
Give him a call and ask. It's been a while since I had a set done. Tell Al and Diane Mike Ginter from Denver said hi.

AL Reed Polishing Inc.

3010 E Coronado St
Anaheim, CA 92806
(714) 632-3907
al weidman
Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment

I know there is allot of satisfaction in DIY. I've done all the work on my car myself. I took my wheels to my anodizer, had them stripped and then it took me 2 hours for all four wheels. Of course I sold the business to Al Reed 33 years ago and have been polishing since then, so I do have some experience, but I still remember the first ones I did by hand. That part never changes. Al.

al weidman
QUOTE(Joe Owensby @ Jan 24 2009, 09:12 PM) *

What is the recommended treatment after polishing to keep the aluminum from oxidizing again? Thanks, JoeO

Joe, there is a product called S100 Protectorant. I get the product from my Harley dealer. It is in a spray can and it doesn't take much. Spray it on and rub with a very soft cloth until it's shiney as before. It will make your wheel last a very long time. Al.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(al weidman @ Feb 28 2009, 09:37 PM) *
QUOTE(Joe Owensby @ Jan 24 2009, 09:12 PM) *
Joe, there is a product called S100 Protectorant. I get the product from my Harley dealer. It is in a spray can and it doesn't take much. Spray it on and rub with a very soft cloth until it's shiney as before. It will make your wheel last a very long time. Al.

Al,
Sorry I didn't answer the phone. I was watching TV with my son... I see you figured out how to add pics. You just have to resize them. I will call you tomorrow. I'm off to bed and a pain pill right now.
Rob
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.