Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Windshield Replacement Today
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ericread
I got my 914 out of the paint shop on Saturday morning, and spent the weekend replacing all the pieces parts. My window was badly pitted and hard to see through in night driving. I know the window had been removed about five years ago when some major work was done, but Rufino confirmed that the old windshield had been replaced.

Car with windshield removed.
Click to view attachment

Rufino cleaning all the channels and making sure the clips for the trim are solid.
Click to view attachment

The channel all gets cleaned and primed with rust resistant primer.
Click to view attachment

Installing the butyl tape.
Click to view attachment

More butyl tape.
Click to view attachment

And another of the tape installation.
Click to view attachment

Rufino found a missing trim clip, so he reams out the attachment hole, and installs a new clip.
Click to view attachment

Finally, the new windshield.
Click to view attachment
dkjens
I'm going to need a new windshield, what's the damages, and does he come to L.A. county?
ericread
Windshield Replacement - Part Two

The windshield is thoroughtly cleaned.
Click to view attachment

And carefully positioned.
Click to view attachment

Pressing the windshield into place so that the butyl tape holds.
Click to view attachment

The window trim had been painted black by the PO. I sanded the old paint off, and rattle-can sprayed it with a high-reflective silver paint. After carefully straigtening the trim, Rufino presses the trim onto the clips
Click to view attachment

I probably should have labeled the right and left trim pieces when I removed them...
Click to view attachment

And the job is completed.
Click to view attachment

Rufino carefully cleaned any smudges, and installed my new rear-view mirror.

So, including the cost of the tinted windsheld (which prerfectly matched the size and shape of my old windshield), what was the total price out the door? $205 for parts and labor, all performed at my residence.

Not bad!!!

sixnotfour
thats a fantastic deal.
Eric_Shea
Makes me wanna move to... naaaaaaa.

I was just there. What awesome weather!!
kconway
Dude, where's the frit? confused24.gif Wonder if thats more greenbacks?
ericread
QUOTE(kconway @ Jan 19 2009, 06:31 PM) *

For those with questions? From Wikipedia:
"A frit (sometimes spelled fritt) is a ground glass or glaze used in pottery. Some materials have to be fritted before they can be used because they are soluble or toxic."

The butyl tape used comes off the roll as a tube of the butyl compound which is about .3 inches in diameter. The tube of butyl seals the windshield to the frame.

Eric
kconway
Look here: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...388&hl=frit

or here: http://www.windshieldspot.com/glossary.htm

Frit This is the painted black band around the perimeter of the windshield. The adhesive is underneath this band, so the band is able to help protect the adhesive from damage from the sun.

Frit: Click to view attachment
ericread
Frit... You are referencing the following:

"The black painted border, or frit as its called, was betaprime 5500SA. It comes in a tube with a shoe polish like applicator. No masking was needed. Just a steady hand."

Rufino installed the "Frit" immediately prior to installing the Butyl tape. That's one thing I didn't take a picture of... confused24.gif

Rufino initially tried to install it using the square applicator pad, but found it didn't cover well enough. He then went over the channel again with a small amount of the compound (which he had poured into a small container) applied by use of what looked like a cotton ball on a stick.

Thanks for the explanation for "Frit" beerchug.gif

BTW: That was included in the price.

Eric
kconway
QUOTE(ericread @ Jan 19 2009, 06:55 PM) *

Frit... You are referencing the following:

"The black painted border, or frit as its called, was betaprime 5500SA. It comes in a tube with a shoe polish like applicator. No masking was needed. Just a steady hand."

Rufino installed the "Frit" immediately prior to installing the Butyl tape. That's one thing I didn't take a picture of... confused24.gif

Rufino initially tried to install it using the square applicator pad, but found it didn't cover well enough. He then went over the channel again with a small amount of the compound (which he had poured into a small container) applied by use of what looked like a cotton ball on a stick.

Thanks for the explanation for "Frit" beerchug.gif

BTW: That was included in the price.

Eric

Fantastic,
Rufino sent some guys to pull my windshield last week so I wasn't able to speak to him about the post paint reinstall. Was hoping that was included. New windshield looks sharp, maybe I'll have him put in a new one instead of the mess they pulled out. idea.gif
Kev
jim_hoyland
Great pictures Eric; all the times Rufino replaced my glass, I never had a camera handy. One thing I noticed different, in the past he didn'e use the butyl tape. He used a materail from a calk gun.

Also, for those not familiar with Rufino, he will replace the metal trim with black rubber. He also does in/outs for painting and rear windows.

And... the paintjob looks great !
jim_hoyland
Today I ran into Rufino in Sunset Beach. He was doing some custom windows for Hector at the PCH GArage.

Eric Read took the pictures you see above of Rufino and his work. Probably the best window guy in Southern Cal. He comes to you and and do custom window trims as well. Pricing has always been very reasonable. Give him a call if you are in need of front or rear window R/R.
His number is 714-292-5811 and he's mainly in So Cal
andys
Ruffino just did my windshield and rear glass two weeks ago. He was apprehensive about making the drive from OC to Santa Clarita, so I threw in some extra $$ for gas/time. Visibly struggled with the rubber trim (I opted not to use the chrome). Two days later, the drivers side started lifting; he came out immediately to resolve the issue. Problem was the trim supplier switched the product on him (same p/n). R&R'd the windshield with known correct trim. Now it's perfect. A genuinely nice guy.

Andys
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(andys @ Aug 10 2012, 04:02 PM) *

Ruffino just did my windshield and rear glass two weeks ago. He was apprehensive about making the drive from OC to Santa Clarita, so I threw in some extra $$ for gas/time. Visibly struggled with the rubber trim (I opted not to use the chrome). Two days later, the drivers side started lifting; he came out immediately to resolve the issue. Problem was the trim supplier switched the product on him (same p/n). R&R'd the windshield with known correct trim. Now it's perfect. A genuinely nice guy.

Andys

He mentioned working on your car. Good to hear he did a great job again.
Mikey914
QUOTE(kconway @ Jan 19 2009, 07:31 PM) *

Don't need the frit with the chrome. It comes in the extra 1/2" needed to hide the edges.
Only necessary if you want to hide the bead of material used to install the glass and using a rubber seal. Then only if your bead is not even and consistent. Hard to do, but a professional can do it if you let them know it will show.
Mark
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.