Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Day trip to Mt. Wilson Observatory
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ericread
I decided to take a day trip from where I live in Irvine, CA to Mt. Wilson, home of the Mt. Wilson Observatory.

For those of you whom don't live in SoCal, Irvine sits at about 45 feet above sea level. The trip to Pasadena (home of the Rose Bowl) is just under 60 miles and takes you to about 860 feet above sea level. Then the road from Pasadena to Mt. Wilson is another 13 miles, and takes you to just about 5,700 feet above sea level. It is also just about one of the twistiest roads I have ever navigated.

This is where you leave CA-2 to drive up a very steep two-lane road to the Observatory and all of the major radio/TV transmitters for LA
Click to view attachment

Here's the view from one side...
Click to view attachment

And here's the view from the other side...
Click to view attachment
ericread
This is me (sucking my gut in as far and as long as i can biggrin.gif )
Click to view attachment

My new paint! (YAY!)
Click to view attachment

I jumped really high before I took this photo rolleyes.gif
Click to view attachment

And of course, the Concours reflector shades.gif
Click to view attachment
ericread
Hey, is that a new windshield???
Click to view attachment

Again, the Coucours required hood badge stirthepot.gif
Click to view attachment

Yep, that's the road down there...
Click to view attachment

Looks a bit smoggy in downtown LA
Click to view attachment

On the road home (through LA and on to Orange County)
Click to view attachment

Hope you enjoyed the trip! beerchug.gif

Eric Read
TonyAKAVW
Very nice. I had to work today sad.gif

I've never been up that road, but looks like I'll have to do that soon.

-Tony
PanelBilly
New paint and your driving the car? What about rock chips! I just don't understand how you can take such risks.
r_towle
Are you wearing shorts?
You suck if you answer yes.

Hey, nice car BTW...though the windshield looks like its not in square.

Rich
rick 918-S
Very nice! Thanks for taking us along for the ride! Paint looks sweet! drooley.gif
Grimstead
What color is that?

Looks familiar biggrin.gif
ericread
I was wearing long jeans on the ride today... But I should have worn my shorts. It was in the high 70's in LA, and about 60 at the top of the mountain. A really, really nice day. Or is this just a come-on and you really want to admire my legs???

The picture of me is at my residence in Irvine this morning. And I was wearing shorts in that picture. bootyshake.gif

As for the color, it's a metalflake blue - Viper Blue to be exact. It looks really good in direct sunlight. And it helps to hide some of my bodywork blunders biggrin.gif

As for rocks and paint chips, I can always get new paint. This car was built to be driven, and that's the fun part driving.gif

Eric
ericread
QUOTE(Grimstead @ Jan 19 2009, 10:11 PM) *

What color is that?

Looks familiar biggrin.gif

Great loking car!!! I've got a set of those same wheels set to arrive in mid February.

Eric
PeeGreen 914
aktion035.gif driving.gif Very cool. I can't wait to do that again this spring. dry.gif biggrin.gif
oldschool
QUOTE(ericread @ Jan 19 2009, 10:37 PM) *

I was wearing long jeans on the ride today... But I should have worn my shorts. It was in the high 70's in LA, and about 60 at the top of the mountain. A really, really nice day. Or is this just a come-on and you really want to admire my legs???

The picture of me is at my residence in Irvine this morning. And I was wearing shorts in that picture. bootyshake.gif

As for the color, it's a metalflake blue - Viper Blue to be exact. It looks really good in direct sunlight. And it helps to hide some of my bodywork blunders biggrin.gif

As for rocks and paint chips, I can always get new paint. This car was built to be driven, and that's the fun part driving.gif

Eric

Eric that seems to have been a cool ride, I have been up that way before(work)
but now that I have a 914 am there!
dkjens
I live right down the hill from there, well almost, the 210 Frwy and Sierra Madre Blvd. When I get mine back on its wheels (hopefully within the next couple of months) I will make that same run. If you do it early weekend mornings you'll have plenty of 2-wheeled company.
type47
what a great share! and also an idea for people to share their local sights. i, however, am not going to share any inaugural photos (taking the SO and daughter to the Metro station is as close as i'm going to get. it's 6am here and my job is taxi driver to the metro biggrin.gif )
jim_hoyland
Thanks for sharing Eric; I've lived in the area and never been on that road. Does it dead end up there or is there a second route out ?
ericread
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Jan 20 2009, 07:05 AM) *

Thanks for sharing Eric; I've lived in the area and never been on that road. Does it dead end up there or is there a second route out ?

The road goes on through to Victorville, although it is closed in the winter. However, when you take the road to the observatory there are two short loops that take you back to the main road. The observatory loop is one-way and has two lanes. The antenna/video road is also two lanes and for on-way traffic, but has a bit higher elevation than the observatory road. I would imagine the microwave level off the antenna road is significantly higher sad.gif

If you use maps.google.com and center the map on "Wilson, CA", you can follow CA-2 both directions. The really, really twisty road is "Mt. Wilson/Red Box Road" Fairly narrow with thousand foot drop-offs. Absolutely beautiful.

Eric
craig downs
Looks good Eric. You got that done pretty fast. Seems like I just saw that you had it down to bare metal a week or so ago.
mudfoot76
QUOTE(ericread @ Jan 20 2009, 01:37 AM) *

The car looks beautiful and your attitude kicks ass driving.gif aktion035.gif
orthobiz
Beautiful blue

Paul
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.