Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: More part ID fun - 914/6 stub axles
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Lavanaut
I thought these were OE 914-6 stub axles but based on some pics I found on the 'net I'm now thinking that's not the case. 28 splines. Repros? confused24.gif

Reid

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
sixnotfour
repo's

FYI OttO's in CA just had a new batch made
Eric_Shea
agree.gif with her.

They have no casting marks inside. Not sure why it would matter. 28 spine is just the 911 count so that would be correct.
Lavanaut
Confirmed my suspicions, thanks. I originally bought them for a 5-lug conversion on my /4, but since that car's gone I don't really have a use for them any more...I'm sure someone here will. idea.gif

BTW I called Otto, his are going for $500/pair and he's got 8 left.
Eric_Shea
I wouldn't pay a dime more than that for an original. One of those parts that just doesn't matter IMO.

Best of Clinique Beauty in a "Flirty" Bag??? huh.gif
SLITS
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Jan 20 2009, 03:25 PM) *

Best of Clinique Beauty in a "Flirty" Bag??? huh.gif

Ooooooooooooooooo, I love it when you talk dirty. wub.gif
sixnotfour
So how much do you want ?
SirAndy
The real deal ... and please excuse my fuzzy pictures ... shades.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Lavanaut
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Jan 20 2009, 07:13 PM) *

So how much do you want ?

PM sent smile.gif

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jan 21 2009, 01:58 PM) *

The real deal ... and please excuse my fuzzy pictures ... shades.gif

Good reference, thanks Andy. It was the lack of the factory 'nubs' that gave away that had repros: sad.gif

Click to view attachment
Eric_Shea
For me it was obvious with the machined inner surface vs. the rough cast factory surface in Andy's first pic.

I'd venture to say the aftermarket looks "beefier". No nubs needed as it's thick throughout. confused24.gif
Lavanaut
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Jan 21 2009, 02:36 PM) *

I'd venture to say the aftermarket looks "beefier". No nubs needed as it's thick throughout. confused24.gif

Agreed. They are substantial in-hand, definitely have some heft to them.
charliew
Are those the same as the stubs in 74 911 aluminum swing arms? the ones with the straight pull emer. brake spreaders? I only gave about 250.00 for the complete assemblies. Not counting shipping though.
Eric_Shea
Are those the same as the stubs in 74 911 aluminum swing arms? the ones with the straight pull emer. brake spreaders? I only gave about 250.00 for the complete assemblies. Not counting shipping though.

No.

These that Reid has listed are a 914-6 stub axle reproductions. The 914-6 stub axle is unique in that it has the 911 spline count (so the 914-6 could use the 911 hub in the rear) yet it is sized on the opposite end to mate to a 914 sized CV.

This is where it gets weird; the 914-6 CV, while the same size as a 914 CV has a different spline count from the 914 CV. Hence, microscopically different CV and different axles.

Why they simply didn't bolt up 914 CV's and axles is beyond me. confused24.gif
r_towle
So to get around this could one use a 911 stub with 911 CV joints?
Get the pieces off a 915 also.

Seems there are alot of 911 axles out there and many more custom 911 axle shops around....should be easy enough to find the right sized/length shaft.

The reason I ask is it seems crazy (IMHO) to put all the time, effort, and money into the conversion to end up at the end of the day with CV joints that are NLA....

I am going to somehow move over to the 911 or 944 CV joints as I do the Teenster....jsut makes more long term sense.
Even if I need to make a few custom parts...at least the disposable portion, the CV joint will be an off the shelf item.
RIch
Lavanaut
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Jan 26 2009, 08:37 AM) *

This is where it gets weird; the 914-6 CV, while the same size as a 914 CV has a different spline count from the 914 CV. Hence, microscopically different CV and different axles.

This isn't an issue though if you're just looking to go 5-lug on a /4, right? Since you'll be mating to 914/4 CVs?

914/4 axle--->914/4 CV--->914/6 stub axles--->911 hubs

I think the 914/6 axle issue comes into play when you start talking about beefing up the engine where the /4 axles (and possibly CVs?) aren't up to the task.

QUOTE(r_towle @ Jan 26 2009, 08:56 AM) *

Yep Rich, but finding the right axle is where it gets tricky, from what I understand "no" 911 axles will work because they're the wrong length. I'm pretty sure that Eric has worked out a solution utilizing Sway-a-way axles and a little chicanery to go along with them though....Mr. Shea? Andy worked on an approach with 944 parts too (I'm sure you've seen that one).

Reid
Eric_Shea
Get the pieces off a 915 also.

Seems there are alot of 911 axles out there and many more custom 911 axle shops around....should be easy enough to find the right sized/length shaft.

The reason I ask is it seems crazy (IMHO) to put all the time, effort, and money into the conversion to end up at the end of the day with CV joints that are NLA....

I am going to somehow move over to the 911 or 944 CV joints as I do the Teenster....jsut makes more long term sense.
Even if I need to make a few custom parts...at least the disposable portion, the CV joint will be an off the shelf item.

From last week. This seems (to me) to be the easiest way:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=91963

This isn't an issue though if you're just looking to go 5-lug on a /4, right? Since you'll be mating to 914/4 CVs?

914/4 axle--->914/4 CV--->914/6 stub axles--->911 hubs

Correct, not an issue. Those pieces are "Perfect" for anyone wanting to put a 5-lug 911 rear hub on a 914. wink.gif

I think the 914/6 axle issue comes into play when you start talking about beefing up the engine where the /4 axles (and possibly CVs?) aren't up to the task.

Incorrect, 914-6 CV's are the same in all respects with the exception of the spline count on the inner race. I don't think the axles shafts are a mm larger... confused24.gif
Lavanaut
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Jan 26 2009, 12:29 PM) *

From last week. This seems (to me) to be the easiest way:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=91963

I didn't see that write-up before Eric, great one, thanks for putting it together. Glad the axles were of some use. smile.gif

Incorrect, 914-6 CV's are the same in all respects with the exception of the spline count on the inner race. I don't think the axles shafts are a mm larger... confused24.gif

Interesting! So yeah, going 5-lug as part of a power plant upgrade you'd definitely just want to go 911 parts the whole way (minus the axles) it sounds like. I definitely thought the /6 axle components were bigger and badder than the /4s. And now I understand your earlier point of confusion ~ why didn't the factory just use the /4 axles and CVs on the /6s then? Or better yet, ifn they were going to develop something unique for the /6, why not make the parts a significant upgrade? Seems like you're already incurring the costs of machining new parts...

Anyway, thanks for the info!

Reid
Eric_Shea
Right on, thanks for the parts. wink.gif

Regarding the whys; that's what I meant when I said it gets "weird".

I think in that context (stock 914-6 with 110hp) they should be fine for a long, long time. If you get some serious torque behind you those CV's can fail at what we've seen to be, an expodentially higher rate. Of course, that's all just BS without reams of certified reports to back it up but... that's what you get from listening to an idiot like me!! biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.