Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Took the teener out for a spin
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Lavanaut
Roads finally dried off and I got to take six out for a spin for the first time in ages. No heat = chilly drive but damn fun to be behind the wheel again. We've been having very strange weather lately, it's been really really foggy at night for the past four nights. It then gets very cold and these crazy little spiney ice crystals form all over everything. Very surreal. Here are a few pics I took around my yard. These were taken mid-day, and the crystals had already shrunk quite a bit by then...

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Lavanaut
More detail...this plant is perfectly smooth beneath all that.

Click to view attachment

Detail...

Click to view attachment

One more...

Click to view attachment

Warming up after the drive...

Click to view attachment

ps: yes, i know I'm missing a side marker light smile.gif

pps: yes, i'm jobless now so I have time post pretty pictures all day

biggrin.gif
BarberDave
smilie_pokal.gif

Lavanaut:

You are right very strange ice cystals, the red one in the 1st. picture

looks big enough to throw a saddle on and ride! Dave slap.gif

ps. you think you have a lot of time on your hands, try being retired!

pps. OH i adjusted my glasses, that pic . was of your 914 , also no fun getting

old.
Shade Tree
Yeah, the job market in Bend isn't doing so well. If you are technical minded, it may interest you to know that Bend-Tel is buying out Rio communications....should be some openings there since the Indian tribe that owned Rio layed off almost everybody before selling.
I too am desperate to drive my 914. So desperate, in fact, that I'm buying a pos little 12v heater so I can drive mine to work. I doubt that it will work but....I gotta try!
VaccaRabite
Ack! Salted roads! Can't you hear your 914 screaming in pain?

Zach
tod914
Some states don't salt. Maybe he's in one of the lucky few. Definetly have driving envy now. Mine is still in peices :S Need to get my rear in gear and get her done.
PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Jan 20 2009, 05:19 PM) *

Zach

I don't believe they use salt. We don't up here unless you go into Seattle, which just started to use salt after the last storm.

Cool pics Reid. What's the drink?
aircooledtechguy
The past 4-5 days have been so nice here!! Been putting some miles on mine for sure!! Top-off driving is chilly from the shoulders up, but that's what the heaters are for biggrin.gif
Gint
Me too! 70 degrees though when I rode home at 2:00. Stopped at the car wash and gave the 'teen a quick bath. Haven't washed it in over 6 months.
ericread
I used to spend a lot of time in Bend, OR. Skiing Mt. Bachelor and bicycling to the Ice Caves (which have since melted - across from the cinder cone south of town). And back then, the cinder cone didn't have any trees...

Anyway, they use sand. And since much of the area is volcanic in nature, it used to be red sand. Pretty cool.

The summit at McKenzie Pass is pretty cool too. Any pics of your car up there?

Eric Read

Lavanaut
QUOTE(BarberDave @ Jan 20 2009, 03:23 PM) *

ps. you think you have a lot of time on your hands, try being retired!

I would love to try that Dave. In light of recent financial market fluctuations I play to do so some time after turning 92.

QUOTE(Shade Tree @ Jan 20 2009, 03:35 PM) *

If you are technical minded, it may interest you to know that Bend-Tel is buying out Rio communications....should be some openings there since the Indian tribe that owned Rio layed off almost everybody before selling.

I am, and that's pretty interesting. I will definitely look into it, thanks.

QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Jan 20 2009, 05:19 PM) *

As a couple people mentioned, Oregon doesn't use salt on the roads. Around here they use cinder which is readily available just about everywhere since the entire area essentially sits on a massive lava field, and cinder is crushed lava. It's light, red, gritty rock that makes a mess of things but isn't corrosive, at least not like salt is. I drive around spots of it when I can though.

QUOTE(Phoenix 914-6GT @ Jan 20 2009, 05:32 PM) *

Cool pics Reid. What's the drink?

Thanks John. Drink is a Spanish Coffee, invented at Huber's up in Portland. I grew addicted to them when I lived up there. 151, kaluha, triple sec, coffee, cinnamon, nutmeg, a little bit of frothed creme in a caramelized sugar-rimmed glass. It's an after dinner drink, more involved that just mixing it all together, and worth it to do right. I will publicly right now volunteer to make one (or more if you're not driving) for anyone that shows up in Bend and calls me on it. Oh and they've got balls enough to shrug off being called a froo-froo drink. wink.gif

QUOTE(ericread @ Jan 20 2009, 07:10 PM) *

I used to spend a lot of time in Bend, OR. Skiing Mt. Bachelor and bicycling to the Ice Caves (which have since melted - across from the cinder cone south of town).
The summit at McKenzie Pass is pretty cool too. Any pics of your car up there?

I haven't heard about the ice caves, I'll have to look that up. As for McKenzie Pass? That's one of the craziest landscapes I've ever witnessed. I can't believe it's an hour from here (part of what makes it so crazy). The road getting up there from the Eugene side is I think the windiest road I've ever been on...at times too windy and narrow to really be fun. Here's a pic or two at the top (no 914 sadly). Speaking of lava fields... ohmy.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Gustl
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Jan 21 2009, 02:19 AM) *

that's the reason why I can't drive my teener(s) from October to April/May sad.gif
carr914
It might snow here tonight, but I know we don't have any salt trucks biggrin.gif

T.C.
Solo914
Lavanaut,
Great pics. Its been really foggy in Seattle too, its eerie to have the thick fog rolling in at 2 in the afternoon.

FYI- I love Hubers! I try to stop in there everytime I'm in Portland. Lots of cool history in that place.

Kyle
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.