Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: question about windshield trim
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rfuerst911sc
My 75 is in the process of being painted and the windshield has been pulled. The aluminum trim is in decent shape but I'll have to clean it up and polish to get it looking good. It's pretty much straight. When I have the glass guy come to install the windshield I can either use the OEM trim or newer style rubber molding. The glass will be installed using urethane adhesive. So are you guys using the OEM trim or newer style rubber? Pros/cons? This will be a AX/DE/street driver so concourse is not the look I'm after. Any pics of rubber trimmed installs out there?
MoveQik
I have a '75 as well. My trim was pretty beat so I always put off replacing the pitted windshield just to avoid dealing with trying to save the trim. Finally the windshield cracked and I was forced to replace it. I went with the rubber molding and never looked back. Now I'm worry free if the windshield needs to be replaced. I actually like the look better now. I did have to check with a few places to find one that would install it with the rubber however. Since it isn't the "factory" way a couple of shops wouldn't do it.

I'll post pics later if no one beats me to it.
Gint
And while we're on the subject, anybody know if the corner and center pieces of the factory trim still available?
kconway
This thread has a car without the trim: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...388&hl=frit

PP has the center and corner trim listed still on their site.

Kev
ericread
I had a similar problem. My trim had been painted black and was pretty bendy. I sanded it all wowm and painted it with rattle-can reflective silver. The windshield replacement guy carefully straightened it and installed it for me. He also replaced one of the clips that was missing.

I think it looks better than then the rubber.

Here's the link: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=91864

And here's the trim on the back:
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Eric Read
mack9146
Rubber windshield trim. It looks great and on my black car never looked better.
Click to view attachment
GeorgeRud
One of our members makes the rubber trim available, so if it's not a concours car, I'd say go for it! The rubber trim looks great!
jaxdream
I was wanting to do the rubber trim , I don't recall any mention of removing the metal trim clips , I believ these would have to come out ??? unsure.gif

Jaxdream
clarkcou
Can one powder coat the original metal trim?
Randy
degreeoff
Oh HELL NO! use the original, you can get the clips easy enough.....AA sells em. But IMHO it looks the best! (on a black car well thats different but what of the other shinny parts?)
computers4kids
Rubber looks pretty good, but the bling is especially nice on some colors...besides I firm believer in keeping a teener stock laugh.gif
IPB Image
mojorisen914
I just replaced the windshield in mine last month and I used the rubber trim and the frit paint that I got from our co-members. It turned out awesome! I painted the black band around it and then had a local company install the w/s and rubber trim. I say go with the rubber trim.
mojorisen914
Tastes Great.....
Less Filling.....
72914S
The rubber trim is available with a chrome rib. I like it on my car. be sure to paint the edge of the glass, it is hard to do after the install.
Lavanaut
QUOTE(Gint @ Jan 20 2009, 06:09 PM) *

And while we're on the subject, anybody know if the corner and center pieces of the factory trim still available?

Yep Mike, at the usual places. Bought all three recently.
jaxdream
QUOTE(mojorisen914 @ Jan 20 2009, 08:13 PM) *

I just replaced the windshield in mine last month and I used the rubber trim and the frit paint that I got from our co-members. It turned out awesome! I painted the black band around it and then had a local company install the w/s and rubber trim. I say go with the rubber trim.

This is the option that I want to do , I was asking if the clips that hold the metal trim on come off the car or stay on ??? Any help on this would be great !!!! biggrin.gif

jaxdream
736conver
The original bright dip anodized aluminum trim looks the best. But to refurbish your old trim to factory look is expensive. Also when buying new trim it doesnt always look "new". The trim gets scratched and bent in shipping process. Make sure before you order what the return policy is.

You can refinish the trim yourself. Heres a little tutorial from the bird board.
Polishing the trim

You can also send it to someone like Al Reed for reanodizing.

And then the last option is the rubber seal, which is listed in our resource section.

Rubber seal

mojorisen914
QUOTE(jaxdream @ Jan 21 2009, 01:40 AM) *

This is the option that I want to do , I was asking if the clips that hold the metal trim on come off the car or stay on ??? Any help on this would be great !!!! biggrin.gif

jaxdream

Yes, remove the clips. Just to make sure I'm tracking; you do realize that the rubber trim goes on the w/s prior to installing the w/s? When the w/s is out is a good time to replace the dash to w/s rubber too. Also, you might find some rust damage to the w/s frame that might need some attention. Follow the links that 736Conv provided. He's got the Frit paint too and at a good price (free plug)
watsonrx13
On my current project car, I had the rubber seal, with the embedded chrome strip, installed on my red car.... Here's the link. It also describes how they installed it.... shades.gif

-- Rob
jaxdream
QUOTE(mojorisen914 @ Jan 20 2009, 11:33 PM) *

QUOTE(jaxdream @ Jan 21 2009, 01:40 AM) *

jaxdream

Yes, remove the clips. Just to make sure I'm tracking; you do realize that the rubber trim goes on the w/s prior to installing the w/s? When the w/s is out is a good time to replace the dash to w/s rubber too. Also, you might find some rust damage to the w/s frame that might need some attention. Follow the links that 736Conv provided. He's got the Frit paint too and at a good price (free plug)

Great , what I needed , yes I figured that the rubber trim went around the windshield . Thanks for the info where to get the frit paint, I'll be after some of that stuff in the future, too cold right now to do install.Thanks again...

jaxdream beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.